    <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>

    Regards
    J^n
    jkn, Jul 15, 2009

  2. jkn <9.co.uk> writes:

    > Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
    > apparently
    >
    > <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
    > Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxonomyId=88>
    >
    > Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:
    >
    > <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>
    >
    > Regards
    > J^n

    It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
    source off of another smaller proprietary project. Makes me sad seeing
    Google, proud supporter of all things Python, release non-PEP8 code.

    Either way, I did check out the project and it looks pretty exciting.
    Hopefully I'll get some time to contribute a few patches.
    J Kenneth King, Jul 16, 2009

  3. jkn

    jkn Guest

    On Jul 16, 3:51 pm, J Kenneth King <> wrote:

    > It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
    > source off of another smaller proprietary project.  Makes me sad seeing
    > Google, proud supporter of all things Python, release non-PEP8 code.

    Personally, I don't follow PEP8 either. Note: PEP-8 gives 'coding
    conventions for the Python code **comprising the standard library in
    the main Python distribution**' (my emphasis). My coding conventions
    are similar to, but not exactly the same as, PEP-8. It would be
    ridiculous IMO (and PEP-8 acknowledges this) for such a permissive
    language as Python to put a 'coding style' straitjacket around itself.

    YMMV, of course.

    J^n
    jkn, Jul 16, 2009
  4. On 7/16/2009 10:59 AM jkn said...
    > Personally, I don't follow PEP8 either. Note: PEP-8 gives 'coding
    > conventions for the Python code **comprising the standard library in
    > the main Python distribution**' (my emphasis). My coding conventions
    > are similar to, but not exactly the same as, PEP-8.

    Mine too, and my objection to PEP-8 is that the coding style doesn't
    allow for copy-n-paste into the interpreter, and I like to be able to
    test that way. Perhaps if I configured my editor not to strip trailing
    whitespace from lines it would work, but then I don't like trailing
    whitespace.

    Of course, I _like_ leading whitespace. :)

    Emile
    Emile van Sebille, Jul 16, 2009
  5. jkn

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 2009-07-16 09:51, J Kenneth King wrote:
    > jkn<9.co.uk> writes:
    >
    >> Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
    >> apparently
    >>
    >> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
    >> Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxonomyId=88>
    >>
    >> Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:
    >>
    >> <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> J^n

    > It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
    > source off of another smaller proprietary project.

    No, it' just that Google does not use PEP8 for its internal style standard.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Jul 16, 2009
  6. Robert Kern <> writes:

    > On 2009-07-16 09:51, J Kenneth King wrote:
    >> jkn<9.co.uk> writes:
    >>
    >>> Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
    >>> apparently
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
    >>> Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxonomyId=88>
    >>>
    >>> Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:
    >>>
    >>> <http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> J^n

    >> It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
    >> source off of another smaller proprietary project.

    > No, it' just that Google does not use PEP8 for its internal style standard.

    Yeah probably.

    I'm just a little OCD sometimes.
    J Kenneth King, Jul 16, 2009