[ANN] JRuby 1.5.0.RC3 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas E Enebo, May 4, 2010.

  1. The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.5.0.RC3

    - Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    - Download: http://www.jruby.org/download

    This development cycle has been our longest cycle yet (nearly 5
    months), but it also has the most fixes. It also includes many new
    notable features (see below). Most of our bug fixes have been more of
    what we consider fine-tuning, since we keep getting into smaller
    corner-cases of compatibility for individual Ruby methods. In that
    sense, we expect if you had a good experience with JRuby 1.4.0 then
    1.5.0.RC3 will be a no-brainer upgrade. If you haven't tried JRuby in
    a while with your application, then please give us another try. Odds
    are whatever issue you were having before no longer exists! And we
    would really like help making sure JRuby 1.5.0 final is a solid
    release...so please try and report back with any problems.

    ### 1.5.0 Highlights:

    - New native access framework designed for performance and better FFI support
    - Native launcher for *NIX platforms
    - Ant support and Rake-Ant integration
    - Better and better support for Windows
    - Multiple performance improvements for Ruby-to-Java calling,
    improving correctness, memory, and speed.
    - Embedding API improvements based on user input (JSR-223, BSF, RedBridge, etc)
    - Software updates: Ruby 1.8.7 standard library update, RubyGems
    1.3.6, RSpec 1.3.0
    - ruby-debug installed by default
    - Many fixes for Rails 3
    - Various improvements to startup time
    - Improved performance for Object#object_id/__id__
    - Reduced memory use for Java class metadata and faster loading of Java classes
    - jar-in-jar support in the classloader
    - The "open4" library now works properly
    - jruby.jit.codeCache=dir to save jitted scripts/methods to disk in a
    sha1-hashed .class file
    - New logic for interface implementation that produces "real" classes
    - jruby.ji.objectProxyCache to turn off OPC for extra performance
    - JRuby::Synchronized module for making a class and its subclasses
    100% synchronized on all calls
    - Miscellaneous perf improvements to core classes and minor
    improvements in the JIT
    - No more ObjectSpace during IRB
    - Cleaned up maven artifacts
    - Windows Installer fixes for x64 and Windows 7 security
    - Over 1250 commits since JRuby 1.4

    ### Issues resolved since 1.5.0.RC2:

    JRUBY-3742: Java native threads are not added to
    ThreadService.rubyThreadMap after being adopted.
    JRUBY-4264: threadContextMap leaks RubyThread on death of adopted thread

    ### Issues resolved since 1.5.0.RC1:

    - JRUBY-3153: IO rubyspec failures under IBM JDK6 Linux
    - JRUBY-3208: ant task api-docs runs out of memory, patch included
    - JRUBY-4677: Java exceptions can't be rescued with "rescue Exception"
    - JRUBY-4680: jirb_swing broken: JRuby picking wrong constructor, with
    no obvious work around
    - JRUBY-4704: "Java wrapper with no contents" error when subclassing a
    Runnable class in JRuby
    - JRUBY-4710: Problems importing classes in default package
    - JRUBY-4715: FFI::StructByValue missing layout and struct_class methods.
    - JRUBY-4721: FFI::platform::CONF_DIR looks in wrong location for PPC Macs.
    - JRUBY-4724: Java class equality operator is order dependent
    - JRUBY-4725: to_java_object no longer exists
    - JRUBY-4729: System properties to set bindir and default rubygems paths
    - JRUBY-4730: Unix jruby-1.5.0.RC1 distro includes
    rubygems/default/jruby_native.rb without native launcher
    - JRUBY-4731: Mismatched default compilation prefix
    - JRUBY-4733: Allow compilation of Ruby files for a specificic JVM version
    - JRUBY-4734: Reduce "multiple Java method" warnings in unambiguous cases
    - JRUBY-4735: install-gems ant target should not count on successful
    installation of jruby-launcher
    - JRUBY-4737: Compatibility issue with Spring property from 1.4.0 to 1.5.0.RC1
    - JRUBY-4738: test/testapp/testapp.exe appears twice in
    jruby-src-1.5.0.RC1.tar.gz
    - JRUBY-4742: File::Stat throws a NPE when it doesn't find a file into a jar
    - JRUBY-4747: read_nonblock error with couchrest
    - JRUBY-4749: require 'rbconfig' fails on GAE because of NullPointerException
    - JRUBY-4750: ant-to-rake: <rake> task does not work when classpath is
    defined via taskdef's attribute
    - JRUBY-4751: Java call to RubyBignum.to_s() returns generic object
    representation
    - JRUBY-4754: NotImplementedError: the MD5() function is unimplemented
    on this machine
    - JRUBY-4757: addressable gem doesn't work with --fast
    - JRUBY-4760: File.open throws Errno::ENOENT when file inside jar is
    accessed using ".." (doubledot) in the path
    - JRUBY-4761: 1.9.2: Thread#backtrace

    We always appreciate community contributions. This cycle we've had
    more help than ever: David Calavera, Stephen Bannasch, Daniel Luz, Ian
    Dees, Koichiro Ohba,
    Hongli Lai, Hiroshi Nakamura, Colin Jones, Takeru Sasaki, Roger Pack,
    Matjaz Gregoric, Joseph LaFata, Frederic Jean, Alex Coles, Lars
    Westergren

    --
    blog: http://blog.enebo.com twitter: tom_enebo
    mail: