[ANN] JRuby 1.5.0RC1 Released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas E Enebo, Apr 15, 2010.

  1. The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.5.0.RC1

    - Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
    - Download: http://www.jruby.org/download

    This development cycle has been our longest cycle yet (nearly 5
    months), but it also has the most fixes. It also includes many new
    notable features (see below). Most of our bug fixes have been more of
    what we consider fine-tuning, since we keep getting into smaller
    corner-cases of compatibility for individual Ruby methods. In that
    sense, we expect if you had a good experience with JRuby 1.4.0 then
    1.5.0.RC1 will be a no-brainer upgrade. If you haven't tried JRuby in
    a while with your application, then please give us another try. Odds
    are whatever issue you were having before no longer exists! And we
    would really like help making sure JRuby 1.5.0 final is a solid
    release...so please try and report back with any problems.

    1.5.0.RC1 Highlights:

    - New native access framework designed for performance and better FFI support
    - Native launcher for *NIX platforms
    - Ant support and Rake-Ant integration
    - Better and better support for Windows
    - Multiple performance improvements for Ruby-to-Java calling,
    improving correctness, memory, and speed.
    - Embedding API improvements based on user input (JSR-223, BSF, RedBridge, etc)
    - Software updates: Ruby 1.8.7 standard library update, RubyGems
    1.3.6, RSpec 1.3.0
    - ruby-debug installed by default
    - Many fixes for Rails 3
    - Various improvements to startup time
    - Improved performance for Object#object_id/__id__
    - Reduced memory use for Java class metadata and faster loading of Java classes
    - jar-in-jar support in the classloader
    - The "open4" library now works properly
    - jruby.jit.codeCache=dir to save jitted scripts/methods to disk in a
    sha1-hashed .class file
    - New logic for interface implementation that produces "real" classes
    - jruby.ji.objectProxyCache to turn off OPC for extra performance
    - JRuby::Synchronized module for making a class and its subclasses
    100% synchronized on all calls
    - Miscellaneous perf improvements to core classes and minor
    improvements in the JIT
    - No more ObjectSpace during IRB
    - Cleaned up maven artifacts
    - Windows Installer fixes for x64 and Windows 7 security
    - Over 1250 commits since JRuby 1.4

    We always appreciate community contributions. This cycle we've had
    more help than ever: David Calavera, Stephen Bannasch, Daniel Luz, Ian
    Dees, Koichiro Ohba,
    Hongli Lai, Hiroshi Nakamura, Colin Jones, Takeru Sasaki, Roger Pack,
    Matjaz Gregoric, Joseph LaFata, Frederic Jean, Alex Coles, Lars
    Westergren

    --
    blog: http://blog.enebo.com twitter: tom_enebo
    mail: