[ANN] Komodo 3.5 for OS X released, Beta For Windows and Linux available

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Eric Promislow, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. The general announcement that went out to the mailing lists follows.
    This release of Komodo provides the following support for Ruby:

    - syntax-based colorizing, including handling of here-documents,
    %-strings, and other subtle parts of the language.
    - smart auto-indenting and code-folding of blocks
    - automatic insertion of 'end' statements
    - code-completion -- type "." after an identifier, and a
    dropdown of methods and properties will appear
    - graphical debugger

    We (and Ruby) have had writeups this week in the trades, including:

    InfoWorld - http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/02/HNruby_1.html

    EWeek - http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1880199,00.asp

    This is great news for those wanting to see Ruby gain more
    respectability "in the enterprise".

    Thanks to those of you who provided suggestions to us. The following
    blurb gives details on downloads, mailing lists etc.

    --
    Eric Promislow Ruby guy at ActiveState
    http://blogs.activestate.com/ericp

    I am very pleased to announce the release of Komodo 3.5 for OS X.
    This release is the result of months of work porting various
    components, such as our language distributions, Scintilla (an open
    source editing component), updating to the same Mozilla code base that
    Firefox 1.5 runs on, and much much more. During the same time many
    bugs have also been resolved, and we've added support for Ruby and
    better support for international languages through support for IME.

    We have also released Beta 1 for Windows and Linux. In order to
    provide as much focus on the OS X port as possible, we have shipped
    other platforms a release behind. Now our focus will be switched to
    finishing those up in order to provide a release before year end. At
    that time, we will release all platforms, including OS X, as Komodo
    3.5.1.

    Find out more about Komodo for OS X by visiting
    http://www.ActiveState.com/

    You can download the latest Beta releases for Windows and Linux by
    visiting our website at
    http://www.ActiveState.com/Products/Komodo/beta.plex

    By registering, you will automatically be subscribed to the beta email
    list (,
    http://listserv.activestate.com/mailman/listinfo/komodo-beta) and be
    provided with download instructions.

    If you already have a beta license, you can simply download the
    binaries from http://downloads.activestate.com/Komodo/

    Current Known Issues are documented in the release notes that can be
    found in Komodo Help.

    A rough list of bugs fixed since 3.1 release in February 2005:

    http://tinyurl.com/8e2g9

    On behalf of the Komodo development team,

    Shane Caraveo
    Komodo Tech Lead

    Eric Promislow, Nov 4, 2005