ANN: matplotlib-0.80

John Hunter

matplotlib is a 2D graphics package that produces plots from python
scripts, the python shell, or embeds them in your favorite python GUI
-- wx, gtk, tk, fltk and qt. Unlike many python plotting alternatives
it is written in python, so it is easy to extend. matplotlib is used
in the finance industry, web application servers, and many scientific
and engineering disciplines. With a large community of users and
developers, matplotlib is approaching the goal of having a full
featured, high quality, 2D plotting library for python.

A lot of development has gone into matplotlib since the last major
release, which I'll summarize here. For details, see the incremental
release notes at http://matplotlib.sf.net/whats_new.html.

Improvements since 0.70

-- contouring:

Lots of new contour functionality with line and polygon contours
provided by contour and contourf. Automatic inline contour
labeling with clabel. See
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html#pcolor_demo

-- QT backend
Sigve Tjoraand, Ted Drain and colleagues at the JPL collaborated
on a QTAgg backend

-- Unicode strings are rendered in the agg and postscript backends.
Currently, all the symbols in the unicode string have to be in the
active font file. In later releases we'll try and support symbols
from multiple ttf files in one string. See
examples/unicode_demo.py

-- map and projections

A new release of the basemap toolkit - See
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html#plotmap

-- Auto-legends

The automatic placement of legends is now supported with
loc='best'; see examples/legend_auto.py. We did this at the
matplotlib sprint at pycon -- Thanks John Gill and Phil! Note that
your legend will move if you interact with your data and you force
data under the legend line. If this is not what you want, use a
designated location code.

-- Quiver (direction fields)

Ludovic Aubry contributed a patch for the matlab compatible quiver
method. This makes a direction field with arrows. See
examples/quiver_demo.py

-- Performance optimizations

Substantial optimizations in line marker drawing in agg

-- Robust log plots

Lots of work making log plots "just work". You can toggle log y
Axes with the 'l' keypress -- nonpositive data are simply ignored
and no longer raise exceptions. log plots should be a lot faster
and more robust

-- Many more plotting functions, bugfixes, and features, detailed in
the 0.71, 0.72, 0.73 and 0.74 point release notes at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/whats_new.html

Downloads at http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net

JDH