ANN: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

Discussion in 'C++' started by Alf P. Steinbach, Dec 11, 2011.

  1. Alf P. Steinbach, Dec 11, 2011

  2. Alf P. Steinbach

    Werner Guest

    On Dec 11, 3:31 pm, Leigh Johnston <> wrote:
    > On 11/12/2011 05:46, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    >
    > >http://learnwinapi.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/lesson-1-tools-need-confi...

    > Off-topic.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > /Leigh

    Hmmm,

    Reading the blog there seems to be many things that
    focusses on making one's program "more standard".

    From that perspective it is certainly beneficial and
    [On] topic. Let's not always find a reason to use
    that 'oll rod ;-). Thanks Alf.

    Regards,

    Werner

    Werner, Dec 12, 2011

  3. Alf P. Steinbach

    gwowen Guest

    gwowen, Dec 12, 2011
  4. Alf P. Steinbach

    Richard Guest

    Leigh Johnston <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >On 11/12/2011 05:46, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    >> http://learnwinapi.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/lesson-1-tools-need-configuration/

    >Off-topic.
    >
    >HTH.

    It doesn't.
    --
    "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 version available for download

    Richard, Dec 12, 2011
  5. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    Please, discussions about subjects being off-topic or not should be reserved
    for private mail of for alt.off-topic. They are off-topic here. :)

    "Leigh Johnston" wrote in message

    On 12/12/2011 16:51, gwowen wrote:
    > On Dec 11, 5:46 am, "Alf P. Steinbach"<alf.p.steinbach
    > > wrote:
    >> http://learnwinapi.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/lesson-1-tools-need-confi...
    >>
    >> Cheers& enjoy!,
    >>
    >> - Alf

    > Alf, please keep posting these useful contributions. Don't let the
    > proscriptionists put you off (they're only happier when arguing with
    > trolls anyway)

    I agree that Alf's post is useful but it is still nevertheless platform
    specific and off-topic; there are platform specific forums for platform
    specific posts.

    /Leigh

    Fred Zwarts \(KVI\), Dec 13, 2011
  6. Alf P. Steinbach, Dec 13, 2011
  7. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    >On 13/12/2011 08:29, Fred Zwarts (KVI) wrote:
    >> Please, discussions about subjects being off-topic or not should be
    >> reserved for private mail of for alt.off-topic. They are off-topic here.
    >> :)

    >Nonsense; posting that the post is off-topic here encourages people not to
    >continue the thread with more off-topic posts here.
    >
    >/Leigh

    Changing someone's behavior is not described in the C++ language definition
    and therefore it is off-topic here.
    You can use private mail for this purpose.
    If you invent your own excuse to be off-topic, please, accept other's
    excuses to be off-topic as well.

    Fred Zwarts \(KVI\), Dec 13, 2011
  8. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    I read new in C++ means it is possible to be kicked out by the OS due to
    out of the heap space in the run time.

    88888 Dihedral, Dec 13, 2011
  9. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    On Dec 13, 3:25 pm, 88888 Dihedral <>
    wrote:
    > I read new in C++ means it is possible to be kicked out  by the OS due to
    > out of the heap space in the run time.

    Do you mean std::bad_alloc? How is this related to the topic?

    Gert-Jan de Vos, Dec 13, 2011
  10. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    >On 13/12/2011 13:17, Fred Zwarts (KVI) wrote:
    >> "Leigh Johnston" wrote in message

    >>> Nonsense; posting that the post is off-topic here encourages people
    >>> not to continue the thread with more off-topic posts here.
    >>>
    >>> /Leigh

    >> Changing someone's behavior is not described in the C++ language
    >> definition and therefore it is off-topic here.
    >> You can use private mail for this purpose.
    >> If you invent your own excuse to be off-topic, please, accept other's
    >> excuses to be off-topic as well.

    >More bullshit. Meta-discussions relating to newsgroup policy are not
    >off-topic.

    And where did you read that?

    Fred Zwarts \(KVI\), Dec 13, 2011
  11. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    >On 13/12/2011 15:06, Fred Zwarts (KVI) wrote:
    >> "Leigh Johnston" wrote in message

    >>> More bullshit. Meta-discussions relating to newsgroup policy are not
    >>> off-topic.

    >> And where did you read that?

    >And where did you read yours?

    The Welcome message that is posted each week states:

    "First of all, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c++ is a group for
    discussion
    of general issues of the C++ programming language, as defined by the
    ANSI/ISO
    language standard. "

    It does not include meta discussions.
    If you allow yourself to add other topics, why forbid other people to add
    their topics?

    Fred Zwarts \(KVI\), Dec 13, 2011
  12. Alf P. Steinbach

    Richard Guest

    Leigh Johnston <> spake the secret code
    <> thusly:

    >Still off-topic.

    Still whiny and not helpful.
    --
    "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 version available for download

    Richard, Dec 13, 2011
  13. Re: new blog "Lessons in Windows API programming (C++)"

    >On 13/12/2011 16:14, Fred Zwarts (KVI) wrote:
    >> "Leigh Johnston" wrote in message

    >>> And where did you read yours?

    >> "Leigh Johnston" wrote in message

    >>> And where did you read yours?

    >> The Welcome message that is posted each week states:
    >>
    >> "First of all, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c++ is a group for
    >> discussion
    >> of general issues of the C++ programming language, as defined by the
    >> ANSI/ISO
    >> language standard. "
    >>
    >> It does not include meta discussions.
    >> If you allow yourself to add other topics, why forbid other people to
    >> add their topics?

    >Posting that a post is off-topic is not off-topic in exactly the same way
    >that the "Welcome message" you mention is itself not off-topic.
    >
    >/Leigh

    Please, try to understand FAQ 5.12:
    "An extended flame war against an off-topic posting is just as off-topic as
    the original off-topic posting."

    Fred Zwarts \(KVI\), Dec 14, 2011