[ANN] ObjectGraph 0.5.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mehr, Assaph (Assaph), Apr 20, 2004.

  1. http://objectgraph.rubyforge.org

    Added Features:
    * Filtering based on common base class
    * Filtering based on name-space

    What the...?
    ==========
    A simple script that generates a graph of the ruby class hierarchy.
    The script relies on GraphViz for generation of the PNG and HTML map
    files.

    Take a look at http://objectgraph.rubyforge.org for some samples,
    including
    a useful (I hope :) example of the Exception Class Hierarchy.

    Why?
    ===
    Because it's neat. And because the online PickAxe seems to be missing
    some graphs. And because many nubys (myself included) don't always know
    the Exception inheritance hierarchy. And because I was home sick and
    needed something to do (which is a nice excuse why the code may not be
    all that great :).

    Features:
    =========
    * Supports multiple layout engines (dot, neato, twopi and circo).
    * Supports multiple output formats by GraphViz (PNG, JPEG etc.)
    * Errno::... classes can be omitted.
    * Classes can be filtered based on common base class or name space.
    * Clicking on a class node should go to the ruby-doc.org documentation
    for that class.

    Installation:

    * Install GraphViz and make sure that the executables are on the path.
    * Get the graph.rb file. (Sorry, CVS only at this stage.)
    * Call "ruby graph.rb ..." (usage info at home page)
    * Look at the pretty pictures :). Hint: open the HTML page to get the
    links.

    Mehr, Assaph (Assaph), Apr 20, 2004

  2. "Mehr, Assaph (Assaph)" <> wrote:
    > * Install GraphViz and make sure that the executables are on the path.
    > * Get the graph.rb file. (Sorry, CVS only at this stage.)
    > * Call "ruby graph.rb ..." (usage info at home page)
    > * Look at the pretty pictures :). Hint: open the HTML page to get the
    > links.

    Just in case you didn't know. There are some other ruby libs working
    with graphviz, too:
    - ruby-graphviz
    - graphr
    - rgl