[ANN] Portable SciPy v0.1 released

Stef Mientki

Portable SciPy, is an easy installer of SciPy for M$ windows users.

For this moment, you can find the description page, with all links here
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pic/jalcc/python/portable_scipy.html

For future use, it's advised to always use my redirector page
http://pic.flappie.nl/

The simple method described here,
can be used to create any set of Python packages + other programs,
with just a few lines of code (example available).

have fun,
and let me hear what you think of it.

Stef Mientki

Beliavsky

Portable SciPy, is an easy installer of SciPy for M$ windows users.

If you have an announcement for Windows users, I suggest that you not
needlessly turn them off by abbreviating Microsoft as M$ . You don't
like Windows, but many of us Windows users don't like the anti-Windows
snobs. There is nothing wrong with making money by selling software.

James Stroud

Beliavsky said:
If you have an announcement for Windows users, I suggest that you not
needlessly turn them off by abbreviating Microsoft as M$ . You don't
like Windows, but many of us Windows users don't like the anti-Windows
snobs. There is nothing wrong with making money by selling software.

Yes, dollar signs are very derogatory. Please do not use them in the
future, either as prefixes to variables, or especially as suffixes to
abbreviations. This is a *python* list for crying out loud!

James

Terry Reedy

| > On Apr 27, 6:17 pm, Stef Mientki <[email protected]>
| > wrote:
| >>Portable SciPy, is an easy installer of SciPy for M$ windows users.

Thanks Stef for posting this. The write-up on your site looks pretty
clear.

| Beliavsky wrote:

| > If you have an announcement for Windows users, I suggest that you not
| > needlessly turn them off by abbreviating Microsoft as M$ . You don't
| > like Windows,

His linked web-page
http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/data_www/pic/jalcc/python/portable_scipy.html
starts "As a spoiled M$ windows user, I'm used to 'one-button'
installations...".
And so he made one and explains how. Methinks you doth project too much.

|> but many of us Windows users don't like the anti-Windows
| > snobs. There is nothing wrong with making money by selling software.

He did not there was.

| | Yes, dollar signs are very derogatory. Please do not use them in the
| future, either as prefixes to variables, or especially as suffixes to
| abbreviations. This is a *python* list for crying out loud!

Heh, heh. (This is almost certainly satire, for those who don't notice.)

tjr

Stef Mientki

Beliavsky said:
If you have an announcement for Windows users, I suggest that you not
needlessly turn them off by abbreviating Microsoft as M$ . You don't
like Windows, but many of us Windows users don't like the anti-Windows
snobs. There is nothing wrong with making money by selling software.
Of course I've totally no objection with earning money in a fair way.
But do hard drug dealers earn their money in a fair way ?
The European Committee has taken several measures over the past 10 years,
to make the competition in the software market more fair,
but AFAIK there is only one country that succeeded in this goal.
So if politician can't achieve the goal, wanted by almost all their residents,
I feel it as my duty to make people aware of this faulty situation, whenever I can.

But let us use this list for more constructive tasks,
after all, Python might be an important step
on the road to a more fair competition.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

Alex Martelli

Beliavsky said:
If you have an announcement for Windows users, I suggest that you not
needlessly turn them off by abbreviating Microsoft as M$ . You don't
like Windows, but many of us Windows users don't like the anti-Windows
snobs. There is nothing wrong with making money by selling software.

Speaking as a Microsoft stockholder, and having recently broken out the
champagne because MSFT is finally back over $30 again [1] (and hoping
this time is STAYS that way, as opposed to the flash-in-the-pan at the
end of January) I'm perfectly happy with seeing $ associated to
Microsoft, for a change. I entirely agree about making money by selling
software, and indeed that's why I'm a stockholder -- now if you could
just convince Ballmer and friends that making money by selling SW is
better than losing money by failing to sell online ads and music players
(and just about breaking even with videogame HW, thanks be for Sony's
incredible mistakes in the field that allowed Microsoft to "stay above
water") then I won't be the only MSFT stockholder to want to offer you a
steak dinner (warning: excess of steak dinners might raise your LDL
cholesterol!-).

Microsoft can still make kick-ass software, if need be by hiring the
right people, and they proved it well with IronPython, IMHO. They
obviously _can't_ do as well in HW and online services; if they stopped
throwing good money after bad, and instead raised the dividend and
renewed and increased the stock-repurchase program, that would be great
for the economy of Western France (and Catalunya, for those who prefer
cava, etc -- basically, all regions that export champagne!-).

Alex

[1] yah, I do remember MSFT flirting with $60 [considering the early'03
split] at the end of '99 -- that was just Wall Street being crazy, and
the fall from THOSE heights is NOT any fault of Microsoft's management.
The interminable last 5+ years below $30, OTOH...