[ANN] Python 2.3.7 and 2.4.5 (final)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Martin v. Löwis, Mar 11, 2008.

  1. On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
    happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.5 and 2.3.7 (final).

    Both releases include only security fixes. Python 2.5 is the latest
    version of Python, we're making this release for people who are still
    running Python 2.3 or 2.4.

    See the release notes at the website (also available as Misc/NEWS in
    the source distribution) for details of bugs fixed; most of them prevent
    interpreter crashes (and now cause proper Python exceptions in cases
    where the interpreter may have crashed before).

    Since the release candidate, we received various reports that the
    this release may fail to build on current operating systems, in
    particular on OS X. We have made no attempt to fix these problems,
    as the release is targeted for systems that were current at the time
    Python 2.4 was originally released. For more recent systems, you might
    have to come up with work-arounds. For OS X in particular, try
    invoking::

    ./configure MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5

    We have made no changes since the release candidate (except
    for the version numbers).

    For more information on Python 2.3.7 and 2.4.5, including download
    links for various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please
    see:

    http://www.python.org/2.3.7
    http://www.python.org/2.4.5

    Highlights of the previous major Python releases are available
    from the Python 2.4 page, at

    http://www.python.org/2.3/highlights.html
    http://www.python.org/2.4/highlights.html

    Enjoy this release,
    Martin

    Martin v. Loewis

    Python Release Manager
    (on behalf of the entire python-dev team)
    Martin v. Löwis, Mar 11, 2008