[ANN] QTodo 0.1

Vincent Fourmond

Hello all !

I'm glad to announce the first (alpha) release of QTodo, a hierachical
TODO-list manager written in pure Ruby/Qt4. I've been looking for a long
time for a way to organise my TODO lists in a hierarchical way, but
failed to find something suiting me. Among other things, it features a
dual list view (tree view and flat view, the latter supporting sorting).
Download at

http://rubyforge.org/projects/qtodo

Some information and screenshots at

http://vincent.fourmond.neuf.fr/blog/tags/QTodo/

Although it is not a Ruby library usable by others, I believe it to be
a good demonstration of the possibilities of Qt4/Ruby. If you're
interested in this, you probably will want to check out the SVN repository,

http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=2832

I hope this will inspire some of you looking for a good GUI solution
with Ruby.

Cheers,

Vince

James Britt

Vincent said:
Hello all !

I hope this will inspire some of you looking for a good GUI solution
with Ruby.

Looks interesting, but how does one get started using Ruby and Qt4?

--
James Britt

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion
of knowledge."
- D. Boorstin

Vincent Fourmond

James said:
Looks interesting, but how does one get started using Ruby and Qt4?

For now, the pure Ruby resources are scarce. If you had a bit of
experience with Qt in C++, it is very easy to learn. I however believe
it is possible to learn straight in Ruby. In any case:

* install the Qt C++ documentation (absolutely necessary) (or look
online at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/index.html)
* read http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/index.html;
* go through the qtruby/rubylib/tutorial and rqtruby/rubylib/examples/
running the different programs. You'll learn a lot looking at the code,
and it is much more readable in pure Ruby. (by the way, if you can
report broken examples, it is even better ;-)...). These examples are
converted from C++, so you should have a look at the Qt documentation
(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/examples.html).

This should help a lot...

Vince