[ANN] Rant 0.3.8

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Stefan Lang, May 15, 2005.

  1. Stefan Lang

    Stefan Lang Guest

    Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
    similar to Rake.

    =3D=3D What's new in this release?

    * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
    * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
    * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
    * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.

    I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

    =3D=3D Installing Rant

    You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
    =A0 =A0 % gem install --remote rant

    or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=
    =3D615)
    and install with install.rb:
    =A0 =A0 % ruby install.rb

    =3D=3D More about Rant

    The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
    Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
    rant command.

    Rant currently features:
    * Defining custom tasks
    * Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
    =A0 applications and libraries.
    * Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
    =A0 and mcs.
    * Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
    * Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
    * The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
    =A0 so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
    * A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
    =A0 checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.

    =3D=3D Resources

    Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
    (BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL :)
    Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/

    =2D-=20
    Stefan
    Stefan Lang, May 15, 2005

  2. Stefan Lang

    ES Guest

    Stefan Lang wrote:
    > Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
    > similar to Rake.

    Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
    replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

    > == What's new in this release?
    >
    > * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
    > * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
    > * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
    > * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
    >
    > I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

    Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
    Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)

    > == Installing Rant
    >
    > You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
    > % gem install --remote rant
    >
    > or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=615)
    > and install with install.rb:
    > % ruby install.rb
    >
    > == More about Rant
    >
    > The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
    > Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
    > rant command.
    >
    > Rant currently features:
    > * Defining custom tasks
    > * Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
    > applications and libraries.
    > * Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
    > and mcs.
    > * Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
    > * Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
    > * The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
    > so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
    > * A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
    > checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.
    >
    > == Resources
    >
    > Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
    > (BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL :)
    > Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/

    template<typename duck>
    void quack(duck& d) { d.quack(); }
    ES, May 15, 2005

  3. Stefan Lang

    Joao Pedrosa Guest

    Oi,

    On 5/14/05, ES <> wrote:
    > Stefan Lang wrote:
    > > Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
    > > similar to Rake.

    >=20
    > Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
    > replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

    I've only experimented with Rant yet, but I like it.=20

    > > =3D=3D What's new in this release?
    > >
    > > * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
    > > * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
    > > * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
    > > * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

    >=20
    > Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
    > Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)

    I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
    perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
    thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
    language. Let me think about three naming options:
    - Anter
    - Antest
    - Rmk - Ruby Make
    - Rbmk
    - Mir - Make in Ruby
    - Mirb

    Cheers,
    Joao
    Joao Pedrosa, May 15, 2005
  4. Stefan Lang

    ES Guest

    Joao Pedrosa wrote:
    > Oi,
    >
    > On 5/14/05, ES <> wrote:
    >
    >>Stefan Lang wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
    >>>similar to Rake.

    >>Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
    >>replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

    > I've only experimented with Rant yet, but I like it.
    >

    >>>== What's new in this release?
    >>>
    >>>* Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
    >>>* Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
    >>>* Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
    >>>* rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
    >>>
    >>>I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

    >>Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
    >>Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)

    > I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
    > perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
    > thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
    > language. Let me think about three naming options:
    > - Anter
    > - Antest
    > - Rmk - Ruby Make
    > - Rbmk
    > - Mir - Make in Ruby
    > - Mirb

    Hehe, maybe Numbat[1]?

    [1] http://australian-animals.net/numbat.htm

    --
    template<typename duck>
    void quack(duck& d) { d.quack(); }
    ES, May 15, 2005
  5. Stefan Lang

    Joao Pedrosa Guest

    Hi,

    > > I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
    > > perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
    > > thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
    > > language. Let me think about three naming options:
    > > - Anter
    > > - Antest
    > > - Rmk - Ruby Make
    > > - Rbmk
    > > - Mir - Make in Ruby
    > > - Mirb

    >=20
    > Hehe, maybe Numbat[1]?

    Sounds great. Here is a south american one:

    Giant Anteater: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/591.shtml

    Cheers,
    Joao
    Joao Pedrosa, May 15, 2005
  6. Stefan Lang

    Stefan Lang Guest

    On Sunday 15 May 2005 04:23, ES wrote:
    > Stefan Lang wrote:
    > > Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
    > > similar to Rake.

    > Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
    > replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    [...]
    > > I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

    > Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
    > Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)

    It would take some time to rename Rant, but if you can come up with
    something really good, yes.
    Didn't know about "wombats" before, interesting animals...

    Stefan
    Stefan Lang, May 15, 2005
  7. Stefan Lang

    Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005, Stefan Lang wrote:

    > Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
    > similar to Rake.
    >
    > =3D=3D What's new in this release?
    >
    > * Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
    > * Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
    > * Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
    > * rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.
    >
    > I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.
    >
    > =3D=3D Installing Rant
    >
    > You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
    > =A0 =A0 % gem install --remote rant
    >
    > or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=
    > =3D615)
    > and install with install.rb:
    > =A0 =A0 % ruby install.rb
    >
    > =3D=3D More about Rant
    >
    > The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
    > Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
    > rant command.
    >
    > Rant currently features:
    > * Defining custom tasks
    > * Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
    > =A0 applications and libraries.
    > * Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
    > =A0 and mcs.
    > * Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
    > * Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
    > * The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
    > =A0 so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
    > * A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
    > =A0 checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.
    >
    > =3D=3D Resources
    >
    > Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
    > (BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL :)
    > Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/
    >
    > =2D-=20
    > Stefan

    this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?

    cheers.

    -a
    | phone :: 303.497.6469
    | renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
    | that they pass away. --aitken roshi
    , May 15, 2005
  8. gabriele renzi, May 15, 2005
  9. Stefan Lang

    Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005, gabriele renzi wrote:

    > ha scritto:
    >

    >> this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?
    >>

    > look here for a previous explanation
    > http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/135299

    thank you!

    -a
    | phone :: 303.497.6469
    | renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
    | that they pass away. --aitken roshi
    , May 15, 2005
  10. Stefan Lang

    Jay Levitt Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > It would take some time to rename Rant, but if you can come up with
    > something really good, yes.
    > Didn't know about "wombats" before, interesting animals...

    Wombat was one of the first computer games ever...
    --
    Jay Levitt |
    Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
    Jay Levitt, May 15, 2005
  11. Stefan Lang

    Stefan Lang Guest

    On Sunday 15 May 2005 18:20, gabriele renzi wrote:
    > ha scritto:
    > > this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?

    > look here for a previous explanation
    > http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/135299

    This was especially in the early days of Rant. It got a bunch
    of new features since then. Amongst them:
    * Useful for bigger projects: You can have more than one
    buildfile for your project, e.g. one per directory
    (no need for things like "recursive make").
    * As already noted, Rant can determine dependencies between C/C++
    source files.
    * Automatic cleanup of generated files.

    All (I hope!) features are documented, read http://make.ruby-co.de.

    Stefan