[ANN] RHDL-0.5.0 released

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Phil Tomson, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. Phil Tomson

    Phil Tomson Guest

    RHDL 0.5.0 has been released!

    What is it?
    ==============
    RHDL (Ruby Hardware Description Language) is a DSL (Domain Specific
    Language) for describing and simulating digital circuits. It looks very
    similar to VHDL. RHDL is built entirely in Ruby: no lexers or yaccs were
    harmed (or even created) in the development of RHDL. It's a nice example
    of Ruby's capabilities for creating DSL's (the secret is Ruby's anonymous
    code blocks - something lacking in some of those other open source, object
    oriented scripting languages out there.)

    Where does it live?
    =====================
    http://rhdl.rubyforge.org/

    User guide at: http://rhdl.rubyforge.org/UsersGuide.html

    What's changed:
    =================
    RHDL now has at least 50% more Ruby metaprogramming goodness! The DSL has
    been changed to remove some of the Ruby-isms that were in RHDL's previous
    incarnations (class, super - these are now gone replaced with the model
    declaration). Examples have been updated to reflect the new 'syntax' and
    many unit tests have been added (more still needed).

    Other changes:
    * <= has replaced << for signal assignment ( <= has lower operator
    precedence which is a good thing)
    * lte (less than or equal) method has been introduced now that <= has been
    taken for assignment (gte - greater than or equal - method has also been
    introduced for signals for orthogonality with lte)
    * models instead of classes - see docs and examples. Big change to the
    RHDL syntax. Hopefully it makes things less confusing for non-Ruby
    programmers who want to use RHDL.
    * named argument associations in model constructors (again, see docs and
    examples) [oh, and model constructors themselves are created for you now
    (more of that metaprogramming goodness!) so you don't have to define an
    initialize method.]
    * inputs, outputs, generics (see docs/examples)
    * lots of unit tests added (but more are still needed)
    * bug fixes
    * lots of other stuff I'm forgetting about...

    The Future:
    ==============
    In future releases RHDL will (hopefully) interoperate with BLIF (Berkeley
    Logic Interchange Format) and also be translatable to VHDL. More docs
    and examples coming as well...

    How much would you pay for all of this?
    =======================================
    Send cash, checks, MacBook Pros to me at... oh, wait, actually it's free
    and under the same license as Ruby. Damn - I really was looking forward to
    that MacBook Pro.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Phil Tomson

    Antti Guest

    Re: RHDL-0.5.0 released

    Phil Tomson schrieb:

    > RHDL 0.5.0 has been released!

    []
    > How much would you pay for all of this?
    > Send cash, checks, MacBook Pros to me at... oh, wait, actually it's free
    > and under the same license as Ruby. Damn - I really was looking forward to
    > that MacBook Pro.
    >
    > Phil

    Hope you get your MacBook Pro - sent you a very small Paypal donation
    (hope your c-a-f email address is valid?)

    Antti
    http://antti-brain.com
    Antti, Jul 20, 2006