[ANN] Ruby/ZOOM 0.1.0

Laurent Sansonetti

Hi,

I am happy to announce the first release of Ruby/ZOOM!

Ruby/ZOOM provides a Ruby binding to the Z39.50 Object-Orientation Model
(ZOOM), an abstract object-oriented programming interface to a subset of
the services specified by the Z39.50 standard, also known as the
international standard ISO 23950.

This software is based (and therefore depends) on YAZ, a free-software
implementation of the Z39.50/SRW/SRU standards, but could be easily
ported to any ZOOM compliant implementation.

You can get more information (download link, sample, API reference,
etc...) from the homepage:

http://ruby-zoom.rubyforge.org/

Enjoy

Laurent

vruz

This software is based (and therefore depends) on YAZ, a free-software
implementation of the Z39.50/SRW/SRU standards, but could be easily
ported to any ZOOM compliant implementation.

that's great, are you doing something like Koha (but in Ruby) ?

cheers,
vruz

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 06:10:19AM +0900:
Hi,

I am happy to announce the first release of Ruby/ZOOM!

Ruby/ZOOM provides a Ruby binding to the Z39.50 Object-Orientation Model
(ZOOM), an abstract object-oriented programming interface to a subset of
the services specified by the Z39.50 standard, also known as the
international standard ISO 23950.

Ok, I've gone through about 3 web pages, and I still don't know what
kind of info you can access with Z39.50. Could you give a few line
summary of what kinds of things I can do with this?

Cheers,
Sam

pat eyler

that's great, are you doing something like Koha (but in Ruby) ?

Are you interested in something like that? I've been involved in the
Koha project for several years now (I used to manage it). I talked
with the other developers about trying to do a rewrite in Ruby to get
away from the Perl kruft that had built up, but never reached critical
mass. If anyone is interested in taking on the development of an ILS
in Ruby (probably on Rails), please let me know. I'd be very
interested in taking part in something like that.

Laurent Sansonetti

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 06:10:19AM +0900:

Ok, I've gone through about 3 web pages, and I still don't know what
kind of info you can access with Z39.50. Could you give a few line
summary of what kinds of things I can do with this?

Z39.50 is mainly used for book information retrieval. For instance,
the US Library of Congress has a Z39.50 open server. The French
National Library too. A lot of national libraries do provide a Z39.50
access to the public.

I am not an expert on this, I just want to support more libraries in
my book collection manager :) Someone can correct what I said.

Laurent

Aredridel

Z39.50 is mainly used for book information retrieval. For instance,
the US Library of Congress has a Z39.50 open server. The French
National Library too. A lot of national libraries do provide a Z39.50
access to the public.

I am not an expert on this, I just want to support more libraries in
my book collection manager :) Someone can correct what I said.

You're dead on. An ugly stupid protocol, but it works!