[ANN]: rubydotnet-0.2.0

Thomas Sondergaard

I have released rubydotnet-0.2.0 which is my take on a .net interop ruby
extension.

Website: http://rubydotnet.sourceforge.net.
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=85733

Your feedback is welcome. I have included a sample of the main features
below.

Cheers,

Tom

# This sample demonstrates a lot of rubydotnet features
# including: instantiating objects from .net classes, accessing
# the features on the objects, implementing .net interfaces in ruby,
# .net delegates that call ruby. It also shows how to include C#
# directly in the ruby script

require 'dotnet'

# Lesson 1: Instatiating and using objects

arrayList = System::Collections::ArrayList.new
include System::Collections
arrayList2 = ArrayList.new
1000.times { |i| arrayList2.add(i*i) }
puts "arrayList2[10] = #{arrayList2[10]}"

# Lesson 2: Using C# (or VB.net or JScript) directly
# within a ruby script.

# cs_compile has vb_compile and js_compile cousins for
# Visual Basic .net and JScript.net
cs_compile <<-EOF
using System;
public delegate void MyDelegate(string arg);

public class MyClass {
public static string aProperty { get { return "propValue"; } }
public static event MyDelegate myEvent;
public static void fireMyEvent(string arg) {
if (myEvent != null)
myEvent(arg);
EOF

puts "MyClass.aProperty = #{MyClass.aProperty}"

# Lesson 3: Using events and call backs

MyClass.add_myEvent(proc { |s| puts "proc1 called with s=#{s}" })
MyClass.add_myEvent(proc { |s| puts "proc2 called with s=#{s}" })
MyClass.fireMyEvent("hello world")

# Lesson 4: Implementing .net interfaces with a ruby object
# and using cs_eval to evaluate a small C# fragment. Notice
# the same can be achieved with vb_eval or js_eval for
# VisualBasic.net and JScript.net

class MyDisposableRubyClass
implements System::IDisposable

def Dispose
puts "Dispose called"
end
end

myDisposableInstance = MyDisposableRubyClass.new

# cs_eval(script, *args) - script must return a value (e.g. null).
# args are available as an System::Object[] array
cs_eval("((IDisposable)args[0]).Dispose(); return null;",
myDisposableInstance)