[ANN] rubygems-update 1.5.0 Released

Eric Hodel

rubygems-update version 1.5.0 has been released!

* <http://rubygems.org>
* <http://docs.rubygems.org>
* <http://help.rubygems.org>
* <http://github.com/rubygems>
* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems>

RubyGems is a package management framework for Ruby.

This gem is an update for the RubyGems software. You must have an
installation of RubyGems before this update can be applied.

See Gem for information on RubyGems (or `ri Gem`)

To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

$ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

See UPGRADING.rdoc for more details and alternative instructions.

-----

NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
"gem-prelude". It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you're running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.

If you absolutely hate kittens and you _must_ upgrade, you're going to
have to do something really hokey like:

% alias ruby19=3D"ruby19 --disable-gems"
% alias gem19=3D"ruby19 --disable-gems -S gem"

Even deleting the stock rubygems in 1.9 doesn't fix this situation.

-----

If you don't have any RubyGems install, there is still the pre-gem =
approach to
getting software, doing it manually:

* Download from: https://rubygems.org/pages/download
* Unpack into a directory and cd there
* Install with: ruby setup.rb # you may need admin/root privilege

For more details and other options, see:

ruby setup.rb --help

Changes:

### 1.5.0 / 2011-01-31

Major Enhancements:

* Finally fixed all known 1.9.x issues. Upgrading is now possible!
* Merged huge 1.3.7/ruby-core changes to master.

Minor Enhancements:

* Added UPGRADING.rdoc to help deal with 1.9 issues.
* Gem::Format now gives better errors for corrupt gem files and includes =
paths
* Pre-install hooks can now abort gem installation by returning false
* Move shareable TestCase classes to lib/ to help plugin authors with =
tests.
* Add post-build hooks that can cancel the gem install
* Always require custom_require now that require_gem is gone
* Added GemInstaller accessors for @options so plugins can reference =
them.
* Optimized Gem.find_files. ~10% faster than 1.4.2. ~40% faster than =
ruby 1.9.
* Gem::SilentUI now behaves like Gem::StreamUI for asking questions. =
Patch by
Erik Hollensbe.

Bug Fixes:

* `gem update` was implicitly doing --system.
* 1.9.3: Fixed encoding errors causing gem installs to die during rdoc =
phase.
* Add RubyForge URL to README. Closes #28825
* 1.9.3: Use chdir {} when building extensions to prevent warnings. =
Fixes #4337
* 1.9.2: Fix circular require warning.
* Make requiring openssl even lazier at request of NaHi
* `gem unpack` will now download the gem if it is not in the cache. =
Patch by
Erik Hollensbe.
* rubygems-update lists its development dependencies again

Eric Hodel

NOTE: Ruby 1.9 ships with rubygems and contains a very buggy
"gem-prelude". It is a gem loading system that can interfere with
updating rubygems itself. We do NOT recommend you update to rubygems
1.4 if you're running ruby 1.9.x until we get that sorted out in a
future ruby release.

Oops! I forgot to remove this section from the README before release. =
This only applies to 1.4.

RubyGems 1.5 will install on 1.9.2=

Jörg W Mittag

Eric said:
Oops! I forgot to remove this section from the README before release. This only applies to 1.4.

RubyGems 1.5 will install on 1.9.2

Thanks very much. This is great news!

jwm

Jiten Bhagat

This update seems to break Bundler...

$ bundle update
(01-02-11 08:34)
/home/jits/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136@global/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bundler/=
ui.rb:56:in
`<class:UI>': uninitialized constant Gem::SilentUI (NameError)
from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136@global/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bu=
ndler/ui.rb:2:in
`<module:Bundler>'
from /home/jits/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136@global/gems/bundler-1.0.9/lib/bu=