[ANN] RubyWeekend #3 Game Contest: June 26-28

John Croisant

After being on hiatus for nearly a year, the RubyWeekend game creation
contest returns this weekend, June 26-28!

The contest period runs for 72 hours this time, to allow everyone
around the world plenty of time to create a small game:

* Start: June 26, 00:01 UTC (world clock: http://tinyurl.com/lcnwqk )
* Stop: June 28, 23:59 UTC (world clock: http://tinyurl.com/lge5sz )

Watch the RubyWeekend #3 forum [1] in the next few days for rules and
more details.

RubyWeekend is a friendly weekend competition in the spirit of Ludum
Dare and PyWeek. The idea is to create a small original game in a
single weekend, programmed in Ruby. The theme of the contest is
announced at the start of the contest period, and participants create
a game that fits the theme, within the time limit (2 or 3 days). The
short time period encourages participants to think small and use their
time wisely.

All game code should be written in Ruby, but you can use any Ruby
libraries or extensions you wish =E2=80=94 Rubygame, Gosu, Shoes, Gamebox,
Gemini, Ruby-OpenGL, etc. You could even make a web-based game with
any of the many web libraries and frameworks available for Ruby:
Rails, Merb, Ramaze, Sinatra, etc. Ruby has a wide (and growing!)
variety of options for game programming, so let=E2=80=99s show them off!

Remember to watch the RubyWeekend #3 forum in the next few days for
rules and more details.

[1] RubyWeekend #3 forum: http://rubygame.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=3D8

- John

James Gray

After being on hiatus for nearly a year, the RubyWeekend game creation
contest returns this weekend, June 26-28!

That's some pretty unfortunate timing. One of the more famous yearly
programming contests is also this weekend:

http://icfpcontest.org/

James Edward Gray II

Robert Dober

That's some pretty unfortunate timing. =A0One of the more famous yearly
programming contests is also this weekend:

=A0http://icfpcontest.org/

James Edward Gray II

It is also a post that shows the mail filter problem for [Ann] posts ;)
Cheers
Robert

--=20
Toutes les grandes personnes ont d=92abord =E9t=E9 des enfants, mais peu
d=92entre elles s=92en souviennent.

All adults have been children first, but not many remember.

[Antoine de Saint-Exup=E9ry]

James Gray

That's some pretty unfortunate timing. One of the more famous yearly
programming contests is also this weekend:

http://icfpcontest.org/

James Edward Gray II

It is also a post that shows the mail filter problem for [Ann]
posts ;)

It did seem like an "announcement" to me. Maybe we have to define
what that means.

Even still, I suspect you would see substantially more misses if
another mailing list was involved.

James Edward Gray II

Shawn Anderson

Jacius that's great news!

I had to miss the last one. I can't wait to see the flood of unique games
that come out of this competition.
Rubygame + Gamebox is my winning combination. See you on freenode:
#rubygame

/Shawn

Robert Dober

On Jun 24, 2009, at 5:14 AM, John Croisant wrote:

After being on hiatus for nearly a year, the RubyWeekend game creation
contest returns this weekend, June 26-28!

That's some pretty unfortunate timing. =A0One of the more famous yearly
programming contests is also this weekend:

=A0http://icfpcontest.org/

James Edward Gray II

It is also a post that shows the mail filter problem for [Ann] posts ;)

It did seem like an "announcement" to me. =A0Maybe we have to define what= that
means.

Even still, I suspect you would see substantially more misses if another
mailing list was involved.

Yes I feel that an ann list *might* be a good idea, but
No I have absolutely no intention to tell anybody not to vote against it.

I just wanted to point out that the Label, Filter, Client Rules thingy
is not an alternative.
The day when a large majority feels that Ann is too much noise,
filters will just not do the trick.

Actually I should think that you know that from first hand, as the
gatekeeper. And we should also listen to you for that reason, an ann
list might be much work for you, correct?

Seems difficult to distinguish this, sorry if I was not clear.

And apologies for hijacking the thread.

=C2=A0 =C2=A0* Start: June 26, 00:01 UTC =C2=A0(world clock: http://tinyu= rl.com/lcnwqk )
=C2=A0 =C2=A0* Stop: June 28, 23:59 UTC =C2=A0(world clock: http://tinyur= l.com/lge5sz )

[...]

=C2=A0[1] RubyWeekend #3 forum: http://rubygame.org/forums/viewforum.php?= f=3D8

- John

The theme has been announced: "A Tiny World"!

If you=E2=80=99re participating, you have until June 28, 23:59 UTC (a bit l=
ess
than 72 hours from now) to create a game in Ruby that matches the
theme. Then, package it and upload it to the RubyWeekend #3 forum [1].
Also check the forums for the official rules (they are not very
strict).

[1] RubyWeekend #3 forum: http://rubygame.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=3D8

We recommend taking some time to think about the theme before you
start making anything. Come up with a good idea for a small game that
you can create in just one weekend. It=E2=80=99s good to keep a log (or blo=
g)
along the way, since it=E2=80=99s interesting for others to read about, and=
it
can also help you focus your ideas! Don=E2=80=99t spend too much time on th=
log, though!

We're also hanging out in IRC during the contest: #rubygame on
freenode. Come join us if you want to chat with other participants!
(But don't let IRC eat all your time!)

- John