[ANN] Rubyx OS (Ruby oriented linux distro)

Andrew Walrond

I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
'ItWorksForMe'.

Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small script
written in the ruby language. The same script handles all subsequent package
management. Amongst many other interesting features, Rubyx also has a
completely new init system written in ruby.

Rubyx supports the latest kernels, xfree86 Kde and gnome. I type this email in
Kmail on my Rubyx powered ibm thinkpad, and Rubyx now powers all my
production servers, hence 'ItWorksForMe'.

The documentation should (at last) be sufficient for anybody to at least
install and use the basic OS. Oh, and I finally got round to adding the
sodipodi package and was able to view the file Nobu Nokada sent me ages ago,
so Rubyx now has a Logo. (Thanks Nobu)

If you are interested if reading more about Rubyx, pop over to

www.rubyx.org

and be sure to join the mailing list!

Thanks for your time,

Andrew Walrond

Phil Tomson

[...]

Very cool.

Have you considered sending an announcement to http://distrowatch.org ?

Phil

gabriele renzi

I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
'ItWorksForMe'.

does this mean we can tell about it to our freinds and relatives (as
in slashdot and osnews and..) ?

Andrew Walrond

Question for HTML experts:

What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
HTML book...

Andrew

Benny

Andrew said:
I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
'ItWorksForMe'.

Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small
script written in the ruby language. The same script handles all
subsequent package management. Amongst many other interesting features,
Rubyx also has a completely new init system written in ruby.
damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

good look!

benny

Andrew Walrond

damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

Well, Linux is better supported (by hackers) nowadays, and has better arch
support. I'm got amd64 support for Rubyx as a (very) short term goal.
what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

Rubyx already uses YAML internally, but none of the system config files is
really big enough to bother converting.
good look!
Thanks! I've submitted a short piece about Rubyx to Slashdot, entitled "Rubyx
OS - a testament to the power of ruby?". I hope they post it :)

John W. Kennedy

Dick said:
Just create an image called /favicon.ico at the top of your site.

That's not reliable; it seems to depend on the server. It may be
necessary to add:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">
between <HEAD> and </HEAD> of every HTML file you have (except for HTML
files that appear only within frames).

Note that the image should be 16*16. Any other size currently screws up
Mozilla and FireFox, and can produce inferior results on other browsers.
And, the last I looked, the favicon.ico file is supposed to be in (of
all things) Windows Icon format, though I gather other formats work, too.

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--

Phil Tomson

damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

Why not go ahead with that idea? Couldn't you use the rubyx script to
just as easily build a FreeBSD system (might need some modifications of
course, but you could probably save a lot of the work that would be
required to do it from scratch). I like this idea because, as you say,
portupgrade is already in ruby (and I like the BSD ports system). It
would be really cool if the rubyx script could completely build a *nix
OS/system including your choice of kernal (be it Linux, or *BSD (even
including Darwin)). That would be the ultimate in flexibility.

question: could the ruby-based init system be used with *BSD as well?
what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

Is there a ruby-command-shell or are you proposing irb be used?

Phil

Andrew Walrond

That's not reliable; it seems to depend on the server. It may be
necessary to add:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">
between <HEAD> and </HEAD> of every HTML file you have (except for HTML
files that appear only within frames).

Grrrrrrrr........ I just CANNOT get this f***** favicon to work. I've added
the required lines to the html, added the image/x-icon type to the apache
config file, created an icon file.....but it ***?###* well won't work.

If I put the changes up on the main rubyx website, is anyone willing to have a
look? Pretty please?

I'll put it up in an hout or so. Got to fight some fires on Slashdot first :)

Andrew

Andrew Walrond

Why not go ahead with that idea? Couldn't you use the rubyx script to
just as easily build a FreeBSD system (might need some modifications of
course, but you could probably save a lot of the work that would be
required to do it from scratch). I like this idea because, as you say,
portupgrade is already in ruby (and I like the BSD ports system). It
would be really cool if the rubyx script could completely build a *nix
OS/system including your choice of kernal (be it Linux, or *BSD (even
including Darwin)). That would be the ultimate in flexibility.

Well, I'm not familiar with the BSD kernel build process, but there is no
fundamental reason that the bsd kernel should not be just another package as
far as rubyx is concerned. That is all that happens with the linux kernel.
Same goes for the Hurd, really.

Here is the (edited) linux Package object, for example
class Pkg_Linux < Package

def source() return prefix('linux-'+vlabel); end

def initialize()
patches={'patch1'=>'','patch2'=>'','patch3'=>'','patch4'=>'','patch5'=>''}
super(nil,'The linux kernel','2.4.25',
{
'2.4.25'=>{'files'=>[['linux-2.4.24','linux-2.4.24-25.patch']],
'config'=>(path(RUBYXDIR,'linux-2.4.25.config').flines.join)}.update(patches),

'2.6.3'=>{'files'=>[['linux-2.6.1','linux-2.6.1-3.patch']],
'config'=>(path(RUBYXDIR,'linux-2.6.3.config').flines.join)}.update(patches),
})

join('Base')
dependancy(BUILD_TOOLS,'coreutils','bash','modutils','module-init-tools')
end

def build()
prefix.cd
unpack().mv('linux-'+vlabel)
bash('chmod -R u+w linux-'+vlabel)
('linux-'+vlabel).cd
%w{ patch1 patch2 patch3 patch4 patch5 }.each { |p|
popen("patch -p1",@selected[p]) if @selected[p] != ''}
bash "make mrproper"
'.config'.fwrite(@selected['config'])
bash "cat .config"
depmod = "/sbin/#{vlabel[2,1]=='4' ? 'mu' : 'mit'}/depmod"
# Fixup problem with gcc install dirs and use of -nostdinc and
-iwithprefix by defining GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
ENV['GCC_EXEC_PREFIX']=$gcc.libdir('gcc-lib')+'/'
bash "env"
bash "yes \"\" | make ARCH=#{$host.generic} oldconfig"
bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} -j#{$mj} dep" if
vlabel[2,1]=='4'
bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} -j#{$mj} bzImage"
bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} -j#{$mj} modules"
bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} INSTALL_MOD_PATH=#{prefix}
DEPMOD=#{depmod} modules_install",ASROOT
prefix('kernel').mkdir
path('arch',
$host.generic,'boot/bzImage').cp(prefix('kernel/bzImage'))
etcdir('modules.conf').ftouch()
standardRootOwnership()
end

end; $linux = Pkg_Linux.new()
question: could the ruby-based init system be used with *BSD as well?

Don't see why not
Is there a ruby-command-shell or are you proposing irb be used?

I don't think irb is a viable bash replacement. An rshell would be an
interesting project though. I'm suprised nobody has had a go yet...

David Garamond

Benny said:
damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

Showing off YAML is a good idea, because is is one of Ruby's strength
(thanks to _why). And of course because YAML works.

The first thing I miss when playing with .NET/Mono/Java is YAML.
Instead, it's XML here, XML there, my eyes and hand hurt....

Dick Davies

Andrew said:
Grrrrrrrr........ I just CANNOT get this f***** favicon to work. I've added
the required lines to the html, added the image/x-icon type to the apache
config file, created an icon file.....but it ***?###* well won't work.

Bloody hell. I haven't done one for a while but I'm sure it wasn't that
much work. Are the browsers requesting the icon ? (I mean are there
requests for *.ico in your access/error logs.

Andrew Walrond

Bloody hell. I haven't done one for a while but I'm sure it wasn't that
much work. Are the browsers requesting the icon ? (I mean are there
requests for *.ico in your access/error logs.

Its working now. And do you know the worst bit? I don't know why it's
working :( Last night, nada. This morning, lovely rubyx icon.

Ho hum :)

Andrew Walrond

Browser caching?

Joe

Thought of that, but I had restarted apache and used the 'refetch favicon' in
Konqueror, to no avail.

Still, I'm going to push the changes up to the rubyx server shortly, so we'll
see if it works there.

Phil Tomson

Well, I'm not familiar with the BSD kernel build process, but there is no
fundamental reason that the bsd kernel should not be just another package as
far as rubyx is concerned. That is all that happens with the linux kernel.
Same goes for the Hurd, really.

That's great.
Don't see why not

Again, good news. It essentially moves Rubyx to a different level. Lots
of people who posted responses to your /. post just assumed Rubyx was just
another Linux distro. But it's really much more flexible than that.
I don't think irb is a viable bash replacement. An rshell would be an
interesting project though. I'm suprised nobody has had a go yet...

Yeah, I don't think irb is a good choice either, I was just wondering what
ruby shell they were talking about.

Phil