[ANN] Rubyx OS (Ruby oriented linux distro)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Andrew Walrond, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
    'ItWorksForMe'.

    Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small script
    written in the ruby language. The same script handles all subsequent package
    management. Amongst many other interesting features, Rubyx also has a
    completely new init system written in ruby.

    Rubyx supports the latest kernels, xfree86 Kde and gnome. I type this email in
    Kmail on my Rubyx powered ibm thinkpad, and Rubyx now powers all my
    production servers, hence 'ItWorksForMe'.

    The documentation should (at last) be sufficient for anybody to at least
    install and use the basic OS. Oh, and I finally got round to adding the
    sodipodi package and was able to view the file Nobu Nokada sent me ages ago,
    so Rubyx now has a Logo. (Thanks Nobu)

    If you are interested if reading more about Rubyx, pop over to

    www.rubyx.org

    and be sure to join the mailing list!

    Thanks for your time,

    Andrew Walrond

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Andrew Walrond

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew Walrond <> wrote:
    >I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
    >'ItWorksForMe'.
    >
    >Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small script
    >written in the ruby language. The same script handles all subsequent package
    >management. Amongst many other interesting features, Rubyx also has a
    >completely new init system written in ruby.
    >
    >Rubyx supports the latest kernels, xfree86 Kde and gnome. I type this email in
    >Kmail on my Rubyx powered ibm thinkpad, and Rubyx now powers all my
    >production servers, hence 'ItWorksForMe'.
    >
    >The documentation should (at last) be sufficient for anybody to at least
    >install and use the basic OS. Oh, and I finally got round to adding the
    >sodipodi package and was able to view the file Nobu Nokada sent me ages ago,
    >so Rubyx now has a Logo. (Thanks Nobu)
    >
    >If you are interested if reading more about Rubyx, pop over to
    >
    > www.rubyx.org
    >
    >and be sure to join the mailing list!

    Very cool.

    Have you considered sending an announcement to http://distrowatch.org ?

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Mar 2, 2004

  3. On Tuesday 02 Mar 2004 07:09, Phil Tomson wrote:

    > Have you considered sending an announcement to http://distrowatch.org ?

    I just have. Thanks for the tip!

    Andrew

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 2, 2004
  4. il Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:23:47 +0900, Andrew Walrond <>
    ha scritto::

    >I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
    >'ItWorksForMe'.

    does this mean we can tell about it to our freinds and relatives (as
    in slashdot and osnews and..) ?

    gabriele renzi, Mar 2, 2004
  5. On Tuesday 02 Mar 2004 10:49, gabriele renzi wrote:
    > il Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:23:47 +0900, Andrew Walrond <>
    >
    > ha scritto::
    > >I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
    > >'ItWorksForMe'.

    > does this mean we can tell about it to our freinds and relatives (as
    > in slashdot and osnews and..) ?

    Absolutely :)

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 2, 2004
  6. Question for HTML experts:

    What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
    to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
    HTML book...

    Andrew

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Andrew Walrond

    messju mohr Guest

    On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:59:47PM +0900, Andrew Walrond wrote:
    > Question for HTML experts:
    >
    > What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
    > to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
    > HTML book...

    you need a favicon.ico. see for example here
    http://www.mavetju.org/unix/favicon.php for explanation.

    greetings
    messju

    messju mohr, Mar 2, 2004
  8. Andrew Walrond

    Dick Davies Guest

    Andrew Walrond wrote:

    > Question for HTML experts:
    >
    > What do I need to put in the HTML of the Rubyx homepage to get a little icon
    > to appear in browsers, bookmarks etc? I can't find any reference to it in my
    > HTML book...
    >
    > Andrew

    Just create an image called /favicon.ico at the top of your site.

    http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/

    Dick Davies, Mar 2, 2004
  9. Andrew Walrond

    Benny Guest

    Andrew Walrond wrote:

    > I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
    > 'ItWorksForMe'.
    >
    > Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small
    > script written in the ruby language. The same script handles all
    > subsequent package management. Amongst many other interesting features,
    > Rubyx also has a completely new init system written in ruby.

    damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
    system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

    what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
    replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

    good look!

    benny

    Benny, Mar 2, 2004
  10. On Tuesday 02 Mar 2004 22:34, Benny wrote:

    > damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
    > system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

    Well, Linux is better supported (by hackers) nowadays, and has better arch
    support. I'm got amd64 support for Rubyx as a (very) short term goal.

    > what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
    > replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

    Rubyx already uses YAML internally, but none of the system config files is
    really big enough to bother converting.

    > good look!

    Thanks! I've submitted a short piece about Rubyx to Slashdot, entitled "Rubyx
    OS - a testament to the power of ruby?". I hope they post it :)

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 2, 2004
  11. Dick Davies wrote:
    > Just create an image called /favicon.ico at the top of your site.

    > http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Design/Images/Favicon/

    That's not reliable; it seems to depend on the server. It may be
    necessary to add:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">
    between <HEAD> and </HEAD> of every HTML file you have (except for HTML
    files that appear only within frames).

    Note that the image should be 16*16. Any other size currently screws up
    Mozilla and FireFox, and can produce inferior results on other browsers.
    And, the last I looked, the favicon.ico file is supposed to be in (of
    all things) Windows Icon format, though I gather other formats work, too.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--

    John W. Kennedy, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Andrew Walrond

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <c231sv$1o0bs3$-berlin.de>,
    Benny <> wrote:
    >Andrew Walrond wrote:
    >
    >> I am pleased to announce the first public release of Rubyx, codename
    >> 'ItWorksForMe'.
    >>
    >> Rubyx is a modern linux distro created entirely from source by a small
    >> script written in the ruby language. The same script handles all
    >> subsequent package management. Amongst many other interesting features,
    >> Rubyx also has a completely new init system written in ruby.
    >>

    >damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
    >system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

    Why not go ahead with that idea? Couldn't you use the rubyx script to
    just as easily build a FreeBSD system (might need some modifications of
    course, but you could probably save a lot of the work that would be
    required to do it from scratch). I like this idea because, as you say,
    portupgrade is already in ruby (and I like the BSD ports system). It
    would be really cool if the rubyx script could completely build a *nix
    OS/system including your choice of kernal (be it Linux, or *BSD (even
    including Darwin)). That would be the ultimate in flexibility.

    question: could the ruby-based init system be used with *BSD as well?

    >what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
    >replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

    Is there a ruby-command-shell or are you proposing irb be used?

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Mar 3, 2004
  13. On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 05:14, John W. Kennedy wrote:

    > That's not reliable; it seems to depend on the server. It may be
    > necessary to add:
    > <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">
    > between <HEAD> and </HEAD> of every HTML file you have (except for HTML
    > files that appear only within frames).

    Grrrrrrrr........ I just CANNOT get this f***** favicon to work. I've added
    the required lines to the html, added the image/x-icon type to the apache
    config file, created an icon file.....but it ***?###* well won't work.

    If I put the changes up on the main rubyx website, is anyone willing to have a
    look? Pretty please?

    I'll put it up in an hout or so. Got to fight some fires on Slashdot first :)

    Andrew

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 3, 2004
  14. On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 09:44, Phil Tomson wrote:
    > In article <c231sv$1o0bs3$-berlin.de>,
    >
    > Benny <> wrote:
    > >
    > >damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
    > >system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

    > Why not go ahead with that idea? Couldn't you use the rubyx script to
    > just as easily build a FreeBSD system (might need some modifications of
    > course, but you could probably save a lot of the work that would be
    > required to do it from scratch). I like this idea because, as you say,
    > portupgrade is already in ruby (and I like the BSD ports system). It
    > would be really cool if the rubyx script could completely build a *nix
    > OS/system including your choice of kernal (be it Linux, or *BSD (even
    > including Darwin)). That would be the ultimate in flexibility.

    Well, I'm not familiar with the BSD kernel build process, but there is no
    fundamental reason that the bsd kernel should not be just another package as
    far as rubyx is concerned. That is all that happens with the linux kernel.
    Same goes for the Hurd, really.

    Here is the (edited) linux Package object, for example
    class Pkg_Linux < Package

    def source() return prefix('linux-'+vlabel); end

    def initialize()
    patches={'patch1'=>'','patch2'=>'','patch3'=>'','patch4'=>'','patch5'=>''}
    super(nil,'The linux kernel','2.4.25',
    {
    '2.4.25'=>{'files'=>[['linux-2.4.24','linux-2.4.24-25.patch']],
    'config'=>(path(RUBYXDIR,'linux-2.4.25.config').flines.join)}.update(patches),

    '2.6.3'=>{'files'=>[['linux-2.6.1','linux-2.6.1-3.patch']],
    'config'=>(path(RUBYXDIR,'linux-2.6.3.config').flines.join)}.update(patches),
    })

    join('Base')
    dependancy(BUILD_TOOLS,'coreutils','bash','modutils','module-init-tools')
    end

    def build()
    prefix.cd
    unpack().mv('linux-'+vlabel)
    bash('chmod -R u+w linux-'+vlabel)
    ('linux-'+vlabel).cd
    %w{ patch1 patch2 patch3 patch4 patch5 }.each { |p|
    popen("patch -p1",@selected[p]) if @selected[p] != ''}
    bash "make mrproper"
    '.config'.fwrite(@selected['config'])
    bash "cat .config"
    depmod = "/sbin/#{vlabel[2,1]=='4' ? 'mu' : 'mit'}/depmod"
    # Fixup problem with gcc install dirs and use of -nostdinc and
    -iwithprefix by defining GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
    ENV['GCC_EXEC_PREFIX']=$gcc.libdir('gcc-lib')+'/'
    bash "env"
    bash "yes \"\" | make ARCH=#{$host.generic} oldconfig"
    bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} -j#{$mj} dep" if
    vlabel[2,1]=='4'
    bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} -j#{$mj} bzImage"
    bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} -j#{$mj} modules"
    bash "make ARCH=#{$host.generic} INSTALL_MOD_PATH=#{prefix}
    DEPMOD=#{depmod} modules_install",ASROOT
    prefix('kernel').mkdir
    path('arch',
    $host.generic,'boot/bzImage').cp(prefix('kernel/bzImage'))
    etcdir('modules.conf').ftouch()
    standardRootOwnership()
    end

    end; $linux = Pkg_Linux.new()

    > question: could the ruby-based init system be used with *BSD as well?

    Don't see why not

    > Is there a ruby-command-shell or are you proposing irb be used?

    I don't think irb is a viable bash replacement. An rshell would be an
    interesting project though. I'm suprised nobody has had a go yet...

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 3, 2004
  15. Benny wrote:
    > damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
    > system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.
    >
    > what about changing all the sys-config-files to YAML-format? any plans to
    > replace the bash with a ruby-command-shell?

    Showing off YAML is a good idea, because is is one of Ruby's strength
    (thanks to _why). And of course because YAML works.

    The first thing I miss when playing with .NET/Mono/Java is YAML.
    Instead, it's XML here, XML there, my eyes and hand hurt....

    --
    dave

    David Garamond, Mar 3, 2004
  16. Andrew Walrond

    Dick Davies Guest

    Andrew Walrond wrote:

    > On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 05:14, John W. Kennedy wrote:
    >
    >>That's not reliable; it seems to depend on the server. It may be
    >>necessary to add:
    >> <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="favicon.ico">
    >>between <HEAD> and </HEAD> of every HTML file you have (except for HTML
    >>files that appear only within frames).
    >>

    > Grrrrrrrr........ I just CANNOT get this f***** favicon to work. I've added
    > the required lines to the html, added the image/x-icon type to the apache
    > config file, created an icon file.....but it ***?###* well won't work.

    Bloody hell. I haven't done one for a while but I'm sure it wasn't that
    much work. Are the browsers requesting the icon ? (I mean are there
    requests for *.ico in your access/error logs.

    Dick Davies, Mar 3, 2004
  17. On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 11:22, Dick Davies wrote:

    > Bloody hell. I haven't done one for a while but I'm sure it wasn't that
    > much work. Are the browsers requesting the icon ? (I mean are there
    > requests for *.ico in your access/error logs.

    Its working now. And do you know the worst bit? I don't know why it's
    working :( Last night, nada. This morning, lovely rubyx icon.

    Ho hum :)

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 3, 2004
  18. Andrew Walrond

    Joe Mason Guest

    In article <>, Andrew Walrond wrote:
    > On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 11:22, Dick Davies wrote:
    >>
    >> Bloody hell. I haven't done one for a while but I'm sure it wasn't that
    >> much work. Are the browsers requesting the icon ? (I mean are there
    >> requests for *.ico in your access/error logs.

    > Its working now. And do you know the worst bit? I don't know why it's
    > working :( Last night, nada. This morning, lovely rubyx icon.

    Browser caching?

    Joe

    Joe Mason, Mar 3, 2004
  19. On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 12:54, Joe Mason wrote:
    > In article <>, Andrew Walrond wrote:
    > > On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 11:22, Dick Davies wrote:
    > >> Bloody hell. I haven't done one for a while but I'm sure it wasn't that
    > >> much work. Are the browsers requesting the icon ? (I mean are there
    > >> requests for *.ico in your access/error logs.

    > > Its working now. And do you know the worst bit? I don't know why it's
    > > working :( Last night, nada. This morning, lovely rubyx icon.

    > Browser caching?
    >
    > Joe

    Thought of that, but I had restarted apache and used the 'refetch favicon' in
    Konqueror, to no avail.

    Still, I'm going to push the changes up to the rubyx server shortly, so we'll
    see if it works there.

    Andrew Walrond, Mar 3, 2004
  20. Andrew Walrond

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew Walrond <> wrote:
    >On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 09:44, Phil Tomson wrote:
    >> In article <c231sv$1o0bs3$-berlin.de>,
    >>
    >> Benny <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >damned! I had the same idea. but I would choose FreeBSD as underlying
    >> >system. a ports-tool (portupgrade) already is in ruby.

    >> Why not go ahead with that idea? Couldn't you use the rubyx script to
    >> just as easily build a FreeBSD system (might need some modifications of
    >> course, but you could probably save a lot of the work that would be
    >> required to do it from scratch). I like this idea because, as you say,
    >> portupgrade is already in ruby (and I like the BSD ports system). It
    >> would be really cool if the rubyx script could completely build a *nix
    >> OS/system including your choice of kernal (be it Linux, or *BSD (even
    >> including Darwin)). That would be the ultimate in flexibility.

    >Well, I'm not familiar with the BSD kernel build process, but there is no
    >fundamental reason that the bsd kernel should not be just another package as
    >far as rubyx is concerned. That is all that happens with the linux kernel.
    >Same goes for the Hurd, really.

    That's great.

    >> question: could the ruby-based init system be used with *BSD as well?
    >>

    >Don't see why not

    Again, good news. It essentially moves Rubyx to a different level. Lots
    of people who posted responses to your /. post just assumed Rubyx was just
    another Linux distro. But it's really much more flexible than that.

    >> Is there a ruby-command-shell or are you proposing irb be used?
    >>

    >I don't think irb is a viable bash replacement. An rshell would be an
    >interesting project though. I'm suprised nobody has had a go yet...

    Yeah, I don't think irb is a good choice either, I was just wondering what
    ruby shell they were talking about.

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Mar 3, 2004