Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteers required

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Andrew Walrond, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Rubyx is almost ready to go public :)
    The servers are in place, domains acquired, howtos written...

    I would like to get some bootstrap testing done first though.

    What I need are volunteers who have

    1) Broadband or better
    2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
    spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
    3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

    Thats it; I don't need you to test the distro itself (although you'd be
    welcome to try it), just test whether it will bootstrap itself from your
    current distro.

    It would take only a few minutes to download the script and start the test
    going, so wouldn't take much of your time. Some number of hours later, you
    can tell me whether or not it worked, and perhaps email me some logs if it
    failed.

    If you can help, email me and I'll send you some instructions.

    Thanks!

    Andrew Walrond

    PS
    Rubyx is a real simple to install/maintain distro which builds everything from
    source using a very simple script written in ruby. It has a ruby based init
    system, and supports a growing package library including the very latest
    Gnome, Kde, Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x etc etc.

    It was originally developed to run the backend servers of a massive-
    multiplayer game (the development of which is my day job) but has somewhat
    grown over time to become a viable desktop os.

    Andrew Walrond, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Re: Rubyx (linux distro created using ruby) - Bootstrap volunteersrequired

    Andrew Walrond wrote:
    > What I need are volunteers who have
    >
    > 1) Broadband or better
    > 2) A machine with a recent Redhat/Mandrake/Debian/Gentoo/Other distro and some
    > spare Gbs to build a rubyx distro into
    > 3) Some spare cpu cyles for an (overnight?) download and build cycle

    I can offer all of those, and I'd happily volunteer in testing it. Send
    some instructions and I'll try :)

    Kind regards,
    Dennis Oelkers
    --
    Dennis Oelkers | Webadministration | Zentraleinrichtung Rechenzentrum
    TU-Berlin | EN-Gebaeude, K042 | Telefon: 030-314-25029

    Key Fingerprint:
    A6 7A B6 90 09 56 E8 32 02 40 6B 27 80 17 00 89 61 E7 CA 6F

    Dennis Oelkers, Feb 1, 2004