[ANN] Vancouver Ruby Meetup - Merb - Off the Rails - May/5 @ 7pm -Join Us

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gerald Bauer, May 1, 2008.

  1. Gerald Bauer

    Gerald Bauer Guest

    Hello,

    Join us for the open and free to all Vancouver Ruby meetup on
    Monday, May/5th at 7pm at the Network Hub. Vancouverite Brock Whitten
    who published an "Open Break-Up Letter to Rails" will talk about "Off
    the Rails - Why You Should Use Merb for Your Next Project".

    Merb is more suited for this due to its speed and flexibility (it's
    perfect for building an API). This talk is a quick primer on Merb:
    what its benefits are and why these benefits are important for a
    developer that is thinking about the web of tomorrow.

    Demonstrates building a basic RESTful API from scratch using Merb.
    This took about 10 min. Once we were done, we had an 'Articles'
    resource that had the 7 golden(REST) methods. All the methods for
    accessing the resource understood HTTP, XML, JSON and YAML. What this
    does for us is gives us many ways to access our resource.

    About Brock Whitten:
    I write applications using Ruby frameworks such as Ruby on Rails and
    Merb. I am intimate with RESTful principals and am known as an AJAX
    junkie. I think in terms of 'resources' and 'web services'. I believe
    whole heartedly in open-source software and have a passion for
    furthering my local community.

    More @ http://vanrb.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/may-meetup

    Cheers.

    --