[ANN] webgen 0.4.0 released

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas Leitner, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. Hey all,

    finally a new webgen release :) More information and install
    instructions below!

    Thanks for all the help and feedback!

    Bye,
    Thomas

    -------------------

    About
    =====

    webgen is used to generate web pages from page and template files. You
    create one or more template files in which you define the layout of
    your page and where the content should go. After that you create page
    files in which you only define the content.

    When webgen is run it combines the template with each of the page
    files
    and generates the HTML output files. During this process special tags
    are substituted so that, for example, a menu is generated.

    More information on webgen can be found on its homepage:
    http://webgen.rubyforge.org

    Major changes
    =============

    * New website layout ;-)
    * webgen now includes many predefined website styles
    * Template files can now be nested!
    * New content converter plugin (ContentConverter/XmlBuilder)
    * New plugin for syntax highlighting (Misc/SyntaxHighlighter)
    * Many changes to the core
    * "Static" menus now available
    * Many tests have been added.
    * More complete documentation
    * Fixed many bugs
    * Many, many other changes

    Thanks for all the feedback!!!

    Download & Installation
    =======================

    Homepage: http://webgen.rubyforge.org
    Download: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=296

    Dependencies
    ------------

    * cmdparse [1] version 2.0.0 or higher

    All the following libraries are optional:

    * RedCloth [2] version 2.0.10 or higher if you want Textile support
    * BlueCloth [3] version 1.0.0 or higher if you want Markdown support
    * RMagick [4] version 1.7.1 or higher if you want automatic thumbnail
    creation for image galleries
    * builder [5] version 2.0.0 or higher if you want programatic
    HTML/XMLfile generation
    * exifr [6] version 0.9.4 or higher if you want to be able to have
    EXIF information available for image galleries
    * coderay [7] version 0.7.4.215 or higher if you want syntax
    highlighting to be available for certain plugins

    All the libraries can be installed via Rubygems (which is recommend).

    Installation
    ------------

    The easiest way to install webgen is via Rubygems
    $ gem install webgen

    However, you can also use the included setup.rb installation method:
    $ ruby setup.rb config
    $ ruby setup.rb setup
    $ ruby setup.rb install

    Or all commands together via
    $ rake install

    The above listed methods also work when installing on Windows.

    [1]: http://cmdparse.rubyforge.org
    [2]: http://redcloth.rubyforge.org
    [3]: http://www.deveiate.org
    [4]: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org
    [5]: http://builder.rubyforge.org
    [6]: http://exifr.rubyforge.org
    [7]: http://coderay.rubychan.de

    Thomas Leitner, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Re: webgen 0.4.0 released

    > I'm sorry if this question has been posted already, I've had an
    > extensive look to the website but apparently you don't provide any
    > rails integration facility. I know Rails is mainly targetted at
    > dynamic sites, but it would be nice to have webgen being able to
    > generate .rhtml files for use with rails.
    >
    > Any chance this is going to happen?

    I do not really know what the advantage of this would be! Which .rhtml
    files should webgen generate, more specifically, what should be the
    content of the .rhtml files?

    Could you state a use case for using webgen in conjunction with Rails?

    I would be willing to do something like this if you provide some more
    information about what the result should be.

    Regards, Thomas

    Thomas Leitner, Jan 12, 2007