[ANN] XSieve: XSLT + Scheme

Discussion in 'XML' started by Oleg Paraschenko, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I'd like to introduce XSieve, an XML transformation language based on
    combination of XSLT and Scheme (a Lisp dialect). XSieve make XSLT to be
    a general-purpose language. Personally for me, XSieve is an alternative
    to XSLT 2.0. For objectives, read

    * http://xsieve.sourceforge.net/index.html#preface
    * http://xsieve.sourceforge.net/background.html

    XSieve allows to use Scheme for writing XSLT extensions. The special
    features, which differentiate it from extensions in
    Java/JavaScript/Python/etc, are the following.

    * Scheme is a functional languages, while other extension languages are
    imperative.

    * XSieve doesn't have XML API. Instead, XML nodes are automatically
    represented using Scheme lists (SXML format), and Scheme code works
    with the lists.

    * It's possible to say "apply-templates" in Scheme code.

    * Controversal: XSieve supports entities in output.

    Everyone isn't the audience of XSieve. To use XSLT, one should be very
    skilled. To use Scheme, one should be very skilled. Therefore, to use
    XSieve, one should be very very skilled.

    One of the simplest use cases for XSieve is running an external
    program. For example, when making HTML from DocBook, it's possible to
    filter "programlisting"s through a syntax highlighting program.

    An example of a real use case is conversion of CALS tables. In the past
    I wrote an XSLT stylesheet for CALS tables. Providing only a basic
    support, the stylesheet was a complete mess. I'm sure that an XSieve
    version will be much better.

    XSieve passed the DocBook stylesheets test. Therefore, XSieve is
    considered to be stable:

    http://xsieve.sourceforge.net/ex-docbook.html

    At the momemt, Xsieve is based on xsltproc (an XSLT processor) and
    Guile (a Scheme interpreter). It should work everywhere xsltproc and
    Guile work, but I've tested it only on Linux.

    XSieve home page: http://xsieve.sourceforge.net/index.html
    Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsieve/

    Comments are welcome!
    Oleg Paraschenko, Sep 4, 2005