Announcement: ActiveState acquired by Sophos

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Ascher, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. David Ascher

    David Ascher Guest

    To the Python community --

    As some of you have heard by now, ActiveState was acquired
    yesterday by Sophos Plc, a UK-based global anti-virus company, as
    described in this press release:

    http://www.activestate.com/Corporate/Communications/Releases/Press1064364490.html

    and in this open letter to ActiveState customers:

    http://www.activestate.com/corporate/letter/.

    I figure that many of you who know about ActiveState's background in the
    open source community probably have questions regarding what this means
    for ActiveState's future, and the future of Python at ActiveState.

    In short, there is no downside, only great opportunities.

    What will not change:

    - Our line of tools, language distributions and enterprise
    support for open source programming languages will continue
    to be developed and evolve with customer needs.
    - Our involvement in the open source language communities
    will continue as before.
    - All of the ActiveState staff is retained in the acquisition.
    - The Vancouver, BC office is poised to expand, not shrink.
    - Email addresses, phone numbers, etc. will continue to
    function as before.

    What will change:

    - ActiveState will now have a broader global impact and access
    to the resources of a larger company with a great deal of
    experience helping businesses secure their networks.
    - Our PureMessage anti-spam product will be integrated with
    the Sophos MailMonitor product and be sold as Sophos
    PureMessage, while the rest of our product line will
    still be sold under the ActiveState banner.
    - ActiveState is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sophos,
    with a focused mission to providing tools and services
    for users of open source programming languages.

    I want to point out to this audience in particular that the acquisition
    of ActiveState is a success story for open source programming
    technologies. It is in part thanks to our use of programming languages
    like Perl, Python and Tcl _and_ to our involvement in the programming
    communities around these languages that we've been able to quickly build
    and sell enterprise-grade software such as PureMessage, as well as very
    successful programming tools like Komodo, the Perl Dev Kit, etc. I'm
    glad to say that Sophos appreciates this and is looking to expand the
    use of these technologies in the larger company, not shrink it. Score
    one for the good guys!

    While I have to get back to work (on the usual things, like adding Python features to Komodo, help plan the next release of ActivePython, help plan for PyCon 2004, iron out legal issues for the PSF and a few other things like that), I'll be monitoring these lists, and welcome email questions as well -- send them to me at .

    Cheers, and see you all at PyCon 2004!

    -- David Ascher
    ActiveState, a division of Sophos

    David Ascher, Sep 24, 2003

  2. David Ascher

    Terry Reedy Guest

    > As some of you have heard by now, ActiveState was acquired
    > yesterday by Sophos Plc, a UK-based global anti-virus company, as
    > described in this press release:

    http://www.activestate.com/Corporate/Communications/Releases/Press1064364490.html

    > and in this open letter to ActiveState customers:
    >
    > http://www.activestate.com/corporate/letter/.

    Interesting timing for an anti-virus, anti-spam merge, given that I
    (along with too many others) have been getting several hundred virus
    spams a day since last Thursday. I wish you could sell UD an
    effective detect and delete package.

    Congratulations on being valued at over $200,000/employee. From what
    I've read, this is a decent price and a validation of your collective
    work.

    > While I have to get back to work (on the usual things, like adding

    Python >features to Komodo, help plan the next release of
    ActivePython, help plan >for PyCon 2004, iron out legal issues for the
    PSF and a few other things like >that), I'll be monitoring these
    lists, and welcome email questions as well -- >send them to me at
    .

    Do you have an ETA for Active Python 2.3?

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Sep 24, 2003

  3. David Ascher

    David Ascher Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:

    > Do you have an ETA for Active Python 2.3?

    A few weeks for ActivePython 2.3.1 -- we have a few other releases to
    worry about, but now that Komodo 2.5 is out the door, it's way up there
    on the priority queue.

    Cheers,

    --david ascher

    David Ascher, Sep 25, 2003