another virtual directory not being configured as an application error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Adam Sandler, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Adam Sandler

    Adam Sandler Guest

    Hello,

    I've looked at:

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/7fd1c508d84051ed/56da0141a6705af6

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/c717ed0ed7beec67/1bc05f9ba6f46875

    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...read/thread/6380b9c6628026ea/1b5987905375ba80

    http://authors.aspalliance.com/PaulWilson/Articles/?id=16

    .... and cannot figure out the solution to my problem. I'm maintaining
    a website. I got the source code sent to me as a zip file. I unzipped
    the archive and from VWD 2005, I selected open website and then pointed
    the file chooser to the unzipped location. I also right clicked on the
    unzipped location in IIS, selected properties, clicked the virtual
    directory tab, and clicked the Create button.

    When I try to run the website from within VWD 2005, I get this error:

    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS.

    Source Error:

    Line 31: 'InProc or StateServer
    Line 32: -->
    Line 33: <sessionState mode="StateServer"
    stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data
    source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false"
    timeout="20" />
    Line 34:
    Line 35: <pages>

    Hmmm... does not clicking the Create button from within IIS configure
    the directory as an application?

    I also manually started the ASP.NET State service ahead of time and I
    still get this error.

    Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Adam Sandler, Jan 22, 2007