    other systems that do not have .net framework installed.

    Thanks
    Nishanth
    Nishanth, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Nishanth

    Nishanth Guest

    I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.

    My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
    the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
    these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
    different platforms.

    My question is
    - If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
    executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
    installed.
    My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
    CLR will come into play.
    But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
    being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

    I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to
    write and compile the ANSI c++ code.

    Thanks
    Nishanth
    Nishanth, Jun 6, 2006

  3. Nishanth

    Jack Klein Guest

    On 5 Jun 2006 21:27:28 -0700, "Nishanth" <>
    wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.
    >
    > My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
    > the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
    > these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
    > different platforms.

    So far, so good.

    > My question is
    > - If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
    > executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
    > installed.

    This is a Windows question, not a C++ language one.

    > My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
    > CLR will come into play.
    > But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
    > being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

    This is a Windows and .net question, not a C++ language one.

    > I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to
    > write and compile the ANSI c++ code.

    You need to ask questions about specific compilers and specific
    Windows extensions like .net in a Windows group. The C++ language
    standard knows nothing at all of .net.

    I'd suggest news:comp.os.ms-windows.win32.programmer.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Nishanth

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Nishanth wrote:
    > I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.
    >
    > My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
    > the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
    > these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
    > different platforms.

    ISO is actually the group in change of standardizing C++.

    > My question is
    > - If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
    > executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
    > installed.
    > My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
    > CLR will come into play.
    > But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
    > being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

    Yes, you can write "unmanaged code" in visual studio. However, the
    compilations are still platform dependant.

    > I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to
    > write and compile the ANSI c++ code.

    I find the environment rather irritating myself but it does work and is
    one of the better ISO standard compilers of the day.

    There may come a time, maybe soon, when it won't work. MS is
    "depricating" win32 and moving EVERYTHING to .NET. Writing unmanaged
    code may become difficult or impossible on the windows platform.
    Noah Roberts, Jun 6, 2006
  5. On 2006-06-06 06:27, Nishanth wrote:
    > I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.
    >
    > My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
    > the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
    > these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
    > different platforms.
    >
    > My question is
    > - If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
    > executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
    > installed.
    > My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
    > CLR will come into play.
    > But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
    > being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.
    >
    > I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to

    Start a new "Empty Project", add a source-file and you're all set.

    Erik Wikström
    --
    "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
    telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jun 6, 2006