Any book that explains how to implement transactions?

Saxo

Hello,

I have book with the title "How Tomcat Works". It basically explains
in detail how to implement a simple web server. The final result, of
course, does not compare to something like Tomcat. But you are truly
shown how to implement a true little web server in Java. Awesome!

Now I'm looking for a similar book that shows you how to implement
transactions (or maybe how to implement a database in a broader
sense). Need not be based on Java, but it would be nice. I had no luck
searching for such a book in the online book stores or searching the
internet. Tons of articles and books about how to use some particular
database, but no book or article that explains how they are
implemented...

Any hint greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Oliver

Lew

Saxo said:
Hello,

I have book with the title "How Tomcat Works". It basically explains
in detail how to implement a simple web server. The final result, of
course, does not compare to something like Tomcat. But you are truly
shown how to implement a true little web server in Java. Awesome!

Now I'm looking for a similar book that shows you how to implement
transactions (or maybe how to implement a database in a broader
sense). Need not be based on Java, but it would be nice. I had no luck
searching for such a book in the online book stores or searching the
internet. Tons of articles and books about how to use some particular
database, but no book or article that explains how they are
implemented...

Any hint greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Oliver

<http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+book+that+shows+you+how+to+implement+ transactions>

Stefan Ram

Saxo said:
I have book with the title "How Tomcat Works". It basically explains
in detail how to implement a simple web server. The final result, of
course, does not compare to something like Tomcat. But you are truly
shown how to implement a true little web server in Java. Awesome!

while( true )
{ final java.net.Socket socket = serverSocket.accept(); ... }
Now I'm looking for a similar book that shows you how to implement
transactions

First, do all actions that might fail, but try to not change
the target state (global state). Then, if nothing did fail,
change the target state recording undo information, but try
to do this with actions that cannot fail. Then, if anything
did fail during the preceding two steps, undo all changes to
the target state recording these undo actions, too. (I just
invented this with no preceding experience on the field.)

The recording of undoable actions and undo actions should
write start and end messages for each action to a permanent
medium, so that the transaction can be completed even when
interrupted. To do this, the system resume procedure should
look for such records when a system is restarted after a
preceding abnormal ending and then resume all interrupted
transactions.

Jan Burse

Saxo said:
Now I'm looking for a similar book that shows you how to implement
transactions (or maybe how to implement a database in a broader
sense). Need not be based on Java, but it would be nice. I had no luck
searching for such a book in the online book stores or searching the
internet. Tons of articles and books about how to use some particular
database, but no book or article that explains how they are
implemented...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transaction_log

Jan Burse

Saxo said:
Hello,

I have book with the title "How Tomcat Works". It basically explains
in detail how to implement a simple web server. The final result, of
course, does not compare to something like Tomcat. But you are truly
shown how to implement a true little web server in Java. Awesome!

Now I'm looking for a similar book that shows you how to implement
transactions (or maybe how to implement a database in a broader
sense). Need not be based on Java, but it would be nice. I had no luck
searching for such a book in the online book stores or searching the
internet. Tons of articles and books about how to use some particular
database, but no book or article that explains how they are
implemented...

Any hint greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Oliver

The Design of Postgres (1986)
by Michael Stonebraker , Lawrence A. Rowe
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.48.2909

Saxo

In case anybody is interested I found this book myself by chance:

Gerhard Weikum (Author), Gottfried Vossen. Transactional Information
Systems: Theory, Algorithms, and the Practice of Concurrency Control
and Recovery

Spent quite a while looking for a book like that and had no luck.
Found this today when looking for something else. Simply entering
"transactions" in the search field of some online book store did not
reveal this book ...

/Oliver

Lew

LoL, top hit is this thread.

So there must be something wrong with this advice.

Yes, it came too late. If he'd done that first, then this thread wouldn't have been the top thread. It wasn't when I did the query. So there must be something right with this advice.

Also, try reading the second hit, or the third. You don't just take the top hit of a Google search, duhh. You apply thoughtful evaluation to the results, yes?