Any good benchmarking program?

fasf

Hi,
i want to test my software and see how multicore chips are used in run
time....do you know any benchmarking tool able to generate a report?

Ian Collins

Hi,
i want to test my software and see how multicore chips are used in run
time....do you know any benchmarking tool able to generate a report?

The only way to measure the performance of your software is to measure
the performance of your software.

Jorgen Grahn

Hi,
i want to test my software and see how multicore chips are used in run
time....do you know any benchmarking tool able to generate a report?

What, more precisely, do you want the report to contain, and what is
the goal?

The Unix time(1) command or equivalent may be enough, if you count
four numbers as a report ...

/Jorgen

fasf

Thanks for the help...

@Jorgen Grahn
What, more precisely, do you want the report to contain, and what is
the goal?
My goal is verify how multicore is used by an application in run-time
The Unix time(1) command or equivalent may be enough, if you count
four numbers as a report ...
could be useful a report with cpu usage in an run time application at
fixed interval time

@Richard
Regarding your request you might consider profiling your
application. Google will help you : profiler.
Thanks, something like this...do you know any free or low cost
profiler?

Ian Collins

Thanks for the help...

@Jorgen Grahn
My goal is verify how multicore is used by an application in run-time

could be useful a report with cpu usage in an run time application at
fixed interval time

Your platform should be able to provide an indication of what your
process is doing, including how many threads are running any what they
are doing. Try asking for advice on a group for your platform.
@Richard
Thanks, something like this...do you know any free or low cost
profiler?

That depends on your platform

Ian Collins

I don't understand....

Assuming your software performs a specific task, you should be able to
measure how long it takes on various systems. If you wish to observe
the application while it is running, you'll need to research the tools
provided by your platform.

osmium

fasf said:
Windows XP

After reading this thread, my best guess is that multi-cores are not doing
much of anything to make things faster for you. In general, the speed up
comes from multiple threads or multiple processes. Since you don't seem to
be a really adavanced user, you may not even be aware what those things
mean. I suggest you browse around the web with the few words you have
picked up in this thread, and see what you can learn. Wikipedia is often a
very good starting place. This link, from Intel, is one you should read,
also.

http://www.intel.com/multi-core/

Do you know about the task manager in XP? ctrl-allt-del will let you
explore it. That's the only ting *built in* to XP that even touches on the
subject that I know of.

Tom St Denis

The huge majority of the worlds business apps run fine on XP. What is
your problem with it?

Its open and actively hostile stance towards standards and decent
tools. You just can't compare the coreutils you get with a decent
Linux or BSD distro to that of Windows, nor GCC and related
development tools to MSVC. Yet people keep insisting on using it.
Baffles the fucking mind.

Hey "fasf" get a Linux Distro, they're free. Then you get real tools
that if you're serious about learning software development you'll be
using anyways.