Any 'rough & ready' suggestions for web design?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Latter, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    Hi,

    After abandoning AOLPress & installing HTML-Kit I'm now attempting to
    approach web page design in a more sensible manner.

    Obviously the learning curve is very steep (especially) for me but
    while I'm reading up on stuff I would also like create some pages.

    I'm somewhat overwhelmed on the info I've read concerning trying to
    make pages compatible with different browsers. So I was wondering if
    anyone had any suggestions for a 'rough & ready' approach in which I
    could start by writing some non-javascript pages and know that they
    would (probably) load ok.

    I've been looking at other peoples stuff and I notice that quite a few
    of them specify the page width to be anywere between 680 to 770 pixels
    - is this a good approach to take?

    In my ignorance I thought that pages automatically resized and I also
    noticed that some people also specify table width in pixels - i
    thuoght setting it to what ever percentage was chosen would cause it
    to appear that way.

    I got a lot of stuff to learn but I would appreciate any pointers -
    there are lots of online tutorials but its sometimes difficult to
    pinpoint the exact piece of info that I want.

    Hope you can help!

    Jorolat

    John Latter, Sep 10, 2003

  2. John Latter

    andy johnson Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:42:46 +0100, John Latter <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >After abandoning AOLPress & installing HTML-Kit I'm now attempting to
    >approach web page design in a more sensible manner.
    >

    >I got a lot of stuff to learn but I would appreciate any pointers -
    >there are lots of online tutorials but its sometimes difficult to
    >pinpoint the exact piece of info that I want.
    >
    >Hope you can help!
    >
    >Jorolat

    If you do a Google for "css web page templates", you'll find 210,000
    hits for them. Many look free. Pick one that fits your content and
    gives you the look and feel you want. Look at other web sites in your
    industry/category to see what they did, That will give you an idea
    what content and page styles people are used to seeing. You don't want
    to copy any of these, but get an idea of what is out there. The whole
    idea of good web design and a fresh or hip look is to drive visitors
    to your site. Godaddy also has a rudimentary one for your use if you
    have godaddy for a host. You might want to consider getting rid of
    anything MSN or AOL. Both are poor excuses for service providers.

    -
    Andy

    "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
    didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
    - (Calvin and Hobbes)

    andy johnson, Sep 10, 2003

  3. John Latter

    PeterMcC Guest

    John Latter wrote:
    <snip>

    > I've been looking at other peoples stuff and I notice that quite a few
    > of them specify the page width to be anywere between 680 to 770 pixels
    > - is this a good approach to take?
    >
    > In my ignorance I thought that pages automatically resized and I also
    > noticed that some people also specify table width in pixels - i
    > thuoght setting it to what ever percentage was chosen would cause it
    > to appear that way.

    Useful stuff at:
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AnySizeDesign

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Sep 10, 2003
  4. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:44:10 -0700, andy johnson
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:42:46 +0100, John Latter <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>After abandoning AOLPress & installing HTML-Kit I'm now attempting to
    >>approach web page design in a more sensible manner.
    >>

    >>I got a lot of stuff to learn but I would appreciate any pointers -
    >>there are lots of online tutorials but its sometimes difficult to
    >>pinpoint the exact piece of info that I want.
    >>
    >>Hope you can help!
    >>
    >>Jorolat

    >If you do a Google for "css web page templates", you'll find 210,000
    >hits for them. Many look free. Pick one that fits your content and
    >gives you the look and feel you want. Look at other web sites in your
    >industry/category to see what they did, That will give you an idea
    >what content and page styles people are used to seeing. You don't want
    >to copy any of these, but get an idea of what is out there. The whole
    >idea of good web design and a fresh or hip look is to drive visitors
    >to your site. Godaddy also has a rudimentary one for your use if you
    >have godaddy for a host. You might want to consider getting rid of
    >anything MSN or AOL. Both are poor excuses for service providers.
    >
    >-
    >Andy
    >
    >"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
    > didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
    > - (Calvin and Hobbes)

    Thanks Andy - I hadn't thought of looking for css templates, that's a
    good idea!! so are the others of course :)

    I hadn't heard of css 'til a couple of days ago and learning about
    that along with everything else was one of the reasons
    I wondered if there was a 'rough & ready' solution

    Jorolat

    John Latter, Sep 10, 2003
  5. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:00:20 +0100, "PeterMcC" <>
    wrote:

    >John Latter wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> I've been looking at other peoples stuff and I notice that quite a few
    >> of them specify the page width to be anywere between 680 to 770 pixels
    >> - is this a good approach to take?
    >>
    >> In my ignorance I thought that pages automatically resized and I also
    >> noticed that some people also specify table width in pixels - i
    >> thuoght setting it to what ever percentage was chosen would cause it
    >> to appear that way.

    >Useful stuff at:
    >http://www.allmyfaqs.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Thanks for the link Peter, it does look interesting stuff - I've read
    the first page and am now going back for more!

    Jorolat

    John Latter, Sep 10, 2003
  6. John Latter

    Davmagic com Guest

    >From: (John Latter)
    >I'm somewhat overwhelmed on the info
    >I've read concerning trying to make pages
    >compatible with different browsers. So I
    >was wondering if anyone had any
    >suggestions for a 'rough & ready' approach
    >in which I could start by writing some
    >non-javascript pages and know that they
    >would (probably) load ok.

    Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

    Avoid HTML Programs... do it by Hand Coding..........>

    Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    INFO 2000 For You
    http://www.davmagic.com
    See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

    Davmagic com, Sep 10, 2003
  7. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:20:30 -0400 (EDT), (Davmagic
    com) wrote:

    >>From: (John Latter)
    >>I'm somewhat overwhelmed on the info
    >>I've read concerning trying to make pages
    >>compatible with different browsers. So I
    >>was wondering if anyone had any
    >>suggestions for a 'rough & ready' approach
    >>in which I could start by writing some
    >>non-javascript pages and know that they
    >>would (probably) load ok.

    >Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
    >
    >Avoid HTML Programs... do it by Hand Coding..........>
    >
    >Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
    >INFO 2000 For You
    >http://www.davmagic.com
    >See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
    >Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

    A very interesting site, I've just spent 10 minutes browsing it
    before remembering to come back and say thanks!

    Jorolat

    John Latter, Sep 10, 2003
  8. John Latter

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    wrote:

    >Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

    Is it just me, or does anyone else find these pages garish and full of
    outdated or just plain bad information? Like they were written in 1996
    and not updated since.

    --
    Greg Schmidt ()
    Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)

    Greg Schmidt, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Greg Schmidt <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:20:30 -0400 (EDT), (Davmagic com)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

    > Is it just me, or does anyone else find these pages garish and full of
    > outdated or just plain bad information? Like they were written in 1996
    > and not updated since.

    No, they're bloody awful. Then again, they come from a WebTV user ...

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 11, 2003
  10. John Latter

    rf Guest

    > On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:20:30 -0400 (EDT), (Davmagic com)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

    > Is it just me, or does anyone else find these pages garish and full of
    > outdated or just plain bad information? Like they were written in 1996
    > and not updated since.

    From somewhere in the site:

    <quote>
    To get Internet Access you can buy a PC (Computer) and sign up for access
    thru an ISP (Internet Service Provider)... some are Free such as...
    </quote>

    Duh...

    I "can" puy a PC? What if I buy a lawnmower. Can I still get internet
    access?

    No Greg, it's not just you :)

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 11, 2003
  11. John Latter

    kchayka Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "Greg Schmidt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:20:30 -0400 (EDT), (Davmagic com)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Look Here: http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

    >> Is it just me, or does anyone else find these pages garish and full of
    >> outdated or just plain bad information? Like they were written in 1996
    >> and not updated since.

    > No Greg, it's not just you :)

    I'm still trying to figure out where my ISP hides their "advanced
    editor" so I can build cool home pages like this, too. :)

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)ns(dash). Mail sent to the ns
    address is automatically deleted and will not be read.

    kchayka, Sep 11, 2003
  12. John Latter

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > Then again, they come from a WebTV user ...

    Has anyone heard from the other WebTV user lately?

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Sep 11, 2003