    Thanks for your time,
    dvn
    , Sep 22, 2006

  2. On 9/22/06, <> wrote:
    > I'm starting to experiment with Ruby Reports. Are there any real world
    > examples out there than one would like to share? Having an example to
    > compare back to the rdoc would be a lot of help to me in learning this
    > beast. What kind of examples? How about galley listings,
    > summarizations, multiple group level reports, or matrices. Typical
    > business stuff you would typically do in Excel, but would be so much
    > simpler by scripting a report.

    This is a very common question among new Ruport users. Many folks are
    looking to do complex data manipulations such as the ones you
    mentioned, so we certainly acknowledge the need! Unfortunately we've
    been spending most of our time on the lower level plumbing, focusing
    on the system as a whole in the past few months.

    We are now in a good position to add in support for things similar to
    what you have mentioned. I personally have done almost all of those
    things and used Ruport for one part or another, but typically this
    involved a lot of very specific glue and some ugly hack and slash kind
    of stuff.

    We do have some examples, but most of them show how to use things like
    the SQL support, or the formatting system. Data manipulations one of
    the next big targets on the radar, and we're ready to start discussing
    how things might work.

    One thing that might interest you is that by 0.6.0, Ruport will have
    support for aging reports, so this will involve some grouping code,
    especially related to date ranges and things like that.

    If you'd like, please either drop by #ruport on Freenode or sign up
    for the Ruport mailing list, and we can start talking about your
    specific needs, and perhaps mock up how you'd like an interface to
    look.

    We are learning as we go the reporting is a BIG problem, so we need
    all the help we can get.

    Hope to hear from you soon!
    -Greg
    Gregory Brown, Sep 22, 2006