Any utilities to remove the ALL the Microsoft formatting tags?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shiperton Henethe, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Hi

    Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    and export an HTML format file?

    This is driving me NUTS.
    And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

    I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
    plus the minimal table structure
    and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

    I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
    and I cant remember what it was called.

    I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
    for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
    to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!
    Shiperton Henethe, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Shiperton Henethe

    Brian Guest

    Please avoid excessive cross-posting. This post did not belong in
    html.critique (removed). I also removed the microsoft group, since
    the solution is not MS. Followups set (you should have set them in
    the first place) to alt.html.

    Shiperton Henethe wrote:

    > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > and export an HTML format file?

    HTML Tidy
    < http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ >

    --
    Brian
    follow the directions in my address to email me
    Brian, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > and export an HTML format file?

    have you considered exporting to csv?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 15, 2003
  4. "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote in news:3f65d1e2$0$24105
    $:

    > Hi
    >
    > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > and export an HTML format file?
    >
    > This is driving me NUTS.
    > And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
    >
    > I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
    > plus the minimal table structure
    > and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
    >
    > I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
    > and I cant remember what it was called.
    >
    > I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
    > for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe
    >
    > p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
    > to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

    Easiest way to do this is with a text editor that has search-with-
    replace, such as UltraEdit.

    Here's what ya do:

    Save the Excel file as a character delimited file. Lessay you use the
    pipe as the separator: |

    So file.xls becomes file.txt

    Open file.txt in your text editor and do the following:
    (In Ultra Edit,^p is a NEWLINE, ^t is a TAB)

    Search for: |
    Replace with: </TD><TD>

    Next,

    Search for: ^p
    Replace with: </TD></TR>^p<TR><TD>

    Then put a <TABLE> at the top of the file and a </TABLE> at the bottom of
    the file.

    Voila: A compact, HTML-ized excel table :)

    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    / Perl / CGI / Database / Dynamic Web Content Control /
    Marc Bissonnette, Sep 15, 2003
  5. I also removed the microsoft group, since
    > the solution is not MS.

    No but the *problem* is MS.
    And MS community of users may have found a solution.

    > Followups set (you should have set them in
    > the first place) to alt.html.

    I have no idea what you mean.

    > Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    > >
    > > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > > and export an HTML format file?

    > HTML Tidy
    > < http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ >

    Thank you
    Shiperton Henethe, Sep 15, 2003
  6. Shiperton Henethe

    Ian Miller Guest

    Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) does a pretty good job on Office
    documents. I use TidyUI for my day to day editing, and like it a lot!

    Ian M

    Ian Miller, Sep 15, 2003
  7. "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    > > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > > and export an HTML format file?
    > >

    > have you considered exporting to csv?

    That's an interesting question - I must
    confess I dont think I'd considered it...

    But do on then, how does one create a compact
    HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
    Dreamweaver (v4)? And then cut and paste into
    the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
    of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
    keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
    ..HTML export)...

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe
    Shiperton Henethe, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Shiperton Henethe

    Karim Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:54:05 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > and export an HTML format file?
    >
    > This is driving me NUTS.
    > And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
    >
    > I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
    > plus the minimal table structure
    > and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
    >
    > I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
    > and I cant remember what it was called.
    >
    > I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
    > for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe
    >
    > p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
    > to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

    I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from Excel
    and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
    tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
    which is still valid.

    --
    Karim
    Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since
    Karim, Sep 15, 2003
  9. Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
    what the heck I'm looking at...

    I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
    it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
    in it...

    Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
    What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

    Shiperton Henethe, Sep 15, 2003
  10. Shiperton Henethe

    Karim Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:29:15 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:

    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    >> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    >>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    >>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    >>> and export an HTML format file?
    >>>

    >> have you considered exporting to csv?

    > That's an interesting question - I must
    > confess I dont think I'd considered it...
    >
    > But do on then, how does one create a compact
    > HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
    > Dreamweaver (v4)? And then cut and paste into
    > the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
    > of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
    > keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
    > .HTML export)...
    >
    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe

    If you have MS Access, you can read in the xls or csv file and export to
    HTML. Access produces clean html.

    Karim, Sep 15, 2003
  11. Shiperton Henethe

    GreyWyvern Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:38:31 +0100, Shiperton Henethe <>
    wrote:

    > Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
    > what the heck I'm looking at...
    >
    > I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
    > it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
    > in it...

    Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux. You will blow up. Probably
    literally.

    Grey

    --
    The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
    pitfall corollory that nothing is ridiculous.
    GreyWyvern, Sep 15, 2003
  12. Shiperton Henethe

    McWebber Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EE-3FBD-482C-83B0-96FB79B74DED&displaylang=EN

    --
    McWebber
    No email replies read
    McWebber, Sep 15, 2003
  13. Shiperton Henethe schrieb:

    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > > Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    > > > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > > > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > > > and export an HTML format file?
    > > >

    > > have you considered exporting to csv?

    > But do on then, how does one create a compact
    > HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
    > Dreamweaver (v4)?

    Yes, you can import csv into DW4.
    And don't mix up CVS (Concurrent Versions System) with CSV (Comma
    Separated Value file format).

    > And then cut and paste into
    > the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
    > of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
    > keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
    > .HTML export)...

    You could try the Microsoft Office2000 HTML filter
    <http://office.microsoft.com/Assistance/2000/htmlfilter.aspx>: It allows
    you to "export to compact HTML", and after that you can run a
    customizable filter over your file to remove even more fluff.

    But 2500 rows of data in one HTML file seems a bit excessive. Can't you
    put that in a database and then only show e.g. 10, 20, 50, or 100 sets
    at a time?

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Sep 15, 2003
  14. Shiperton Henethe

    Jim Dabell Guest

    GreyWyvern wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:38:31 +0100, Shiperton Henethe <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
    >> what the heck I'm looking at...
    >>
    >> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
    >> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
    >> in it...

    > Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux. You will blow up. Probably
    > literally.

    Have you used any recent desktop distribution? They are about as simple to
    use as anything else.

    Anyway, if you don't want to use a command prompt, try this:

    <URL:http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html#tidyui>

    You see, tidy is a program without a GUI; a lot of Unix software is like
    that for various reasons. End-users usually want a GUI, so people create
    wrappers around the base application, Tidy UI is a wrapper for the tidy.exe
    program.

    --
    Jim Dabell
    Jim Dabell, Sep 15, 2003
  15. GreyWyvern wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:38:31 +0100, Shiperton Henethe
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
    >> what the heck I'm looking at...
    >>
    >> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
    >> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
    >> in it...

    > Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux. You will blow up. Probably
    > literally.

    hoot ;o)

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 15, 2003
  16. Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    > "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    >> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
    >>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    >>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    >>> and export an HTML format file?
    >>>

    >> have you considered exporting to csv?

    > That's an interesting question - I must
    > confess I dont think I'd considered it...
    >
    > But do on then, how does one create a compact
    > HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
    > Dreamweaver (v4)?

    d/w and pre-procesing editors have been covered elsewhere in this thread.
    Which server-side facilities do you have available?

    what are you trying to achieve with this? surely not display 2,500 rows on
    one page?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 15, 2003
  17. Shiperton Henethe

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Karim <karim3411@!!yahoo!!.com>
    writing in news:1698l7nnvxmh3$:

    > If you have MS Access, you can read in the xls or csv file and export to
    > HTML. Access produces clean html.

    In what world does Access produce clean code? Access produces the same
    bloat that MS Word and Excel produce.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Sep 15, 2003
  18. Shiperton Henethe

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Shiperton Henethe"
    <> writing in news:3f65dc4b$0$10774$afc38c87
    @news.easynet.co.uk:

    > Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
    > what the heck I'm looking at...
    >
    > I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
    > it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
    > in it...
    >
    > Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
    > What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe

    IIRC Tidy also works as a plug in for Dreamweaver. Check the Dreamweaver
    documenation.

    Adrienne, Sep 15, 2003
  19. Shiperton Henethe

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Shiperton Henethe"
    <> writing in news:3f65d1e2$0$24105$afc38c87
    @news.easynet.co.uk:

    > Hi
    >
    > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
    > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
    > and export an HTML format file?
    >
    > This is driving me NUTS.
    > And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
    >
    > I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
    > plus the minimal table structure
    > and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
    >
    > I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
    > and I cant remember what it was called.
    >
    > I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
    > for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
    >

    > Ship
    > Shiperton Henethe
    >
    > p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
    > to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

    You can use ASCII to Tab at
    http://www.jafsoft.com/asctotab/?home&p=asctotab
    to convert delimited (csv, asc, txt) to a clean table.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Sep 15, 2003