Any way to avoid mass conversion of #INCLUDE files to UserControls?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by JJA, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. JJA

    JJA Guest

    I have a very large classic ASP site that is making heavy use of
    server-side #INCLUDE of .ASP files within .ASP files. I've researched
    and seen recommendations describing how you can convert all files to
    be included to user controls and then change all including files to
    use "register directives" at the top of the file and <UserControl:xxx>
    wherever the #INCLUDE file resided in the <BODY of the page.

    Furthermore, all "including files" would have to be changed from .ASP
    to .ASPX files as I understand it. It gets progressively awkward if a
    file is both a main or "including" .ASP file sometimes and is in other
    cases #INCLUDEd by other main files.

    My question is - Is there any other and easier way to handle a
    conversion like this?

    My immediate goal is to get this site - www.mortgagedataweb.com -
    operational on a new platform - Win2003 Server WebEdition. I used the
    IIS Migration Tool as a start but it appears to just copy files and
    handle some IIS chores. I know the benefits of UserControls but now I
    am trying to just get a site working fast.

    Thanks in advance for guidance.
    JJA, Jul 8, 2004

  2. "JJA" <> wrote in message
    > I have a very large classic ASP site that is making heavy use of
    > server-side #INCLUDE of .ASP files within .ASP files. I've researched
    > and seen recommendations describing how you can convert all files to
    > be included to user controls and then change all including files to
    > use "register directives" at the top of the file and <UserControl:xxx>
    > wherever the #INCLUDE file resided in the <BODY of the page.
    >
    > Furthermore, all "including files" would have to be changed from .ASP
    > to .ASPX files as I understand it. It gets progressively awkward if a
    > file is both a main or "including" .ASP file sometimes and is in other
    > cases #INCLUDEd by other main files.
    >
    > My question is - Is there any other and easier way to handle a
    > conversion like this?
    >
    > My immediate goal is to get this site - www.mortgagedataweb.com -
    > operational on a new platform - Win2003 Server WebEdition. I used the
    > IIS Migration Tool as a start but it appears to just copy files and
    > handle some IIS chores. I know the benefits of UserControls but now I
    > am trying to just get a site working fast.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for guidance.

    Why not leave it as ASP? Nothing in the world is going to allow an ASP.NET
    page to handle an included ASP file if that ASP file uses any features of
    ASP which aren't compatible with ASP.NET.

    Note that the Find In Files functionality of VS.NET can assist in mass
    conversions. It supports regular expressions both in the search and replace
    strings. You could first convert your include files into user controls, then
    use Find In Files to search for the include and replace it with a
    corresponding user control invocation. You could then either manually add
    Register directives or paste in a standard series of Register directives.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail
    John Saunders, Jul 8, 2004

  3. JJA

    JJA Guest

    > Why not leave it as ASP? Nothing in the world is going to allow an ASP.NET
    > page to handle an included ASP file if that ASP file uses any features of
    > ASP which aren't compatible with ASP.NET.

    Thank you - this is what I'd like to do - "leave it as ASP"! I'm
    having trouble finding info on how to do that. Everything I find on
    the subject talks about the merits of and the techniques of converting
    to .ASPX and .ASCX.

    Could you please sketch out how I get an "unconverted" ASP site
    working as is under Win2003 Server running the newest versions of .Net
    ? I thought I saw a checkbox somewhere in IIS 6.0 labeled as "ASP". I
    recall that it was checked.
    JJA, Jul 9, 2004
  4. x"JJA" <> wrote in message
    > > Why not leave it as ASP? Nothing in the world is going to allow an

    ASP.NET
    > > page to handle an included ASP file if that ASP file uses any features

    of
    > > ASP which aren't compatible with ASP.NET.

    > Thank you - this is what I'd like to do - "leave it as ASP"! I'm
    > having trouble finding info on how to do that. Everything I find on
    > the subject talks about the merits of and the techniques of converting
    > to .ASPX and .ASCX.
    >
    > Could you please sketch out how I get an "unconverted" ASP site
    > working as is under Win2003 Server running the newest versions of .Net
    > ? I thought I saw a checkbox somewhere in IIS 6.0 labeled as "ASP". I
    > recall that it was checked.

    Windows Server 2003 supports ASP. What happens when you just try it?

    Try creating a site or virtual directory with a simple ASP page, like <%
    Response.Write("Hello, World") %>.
    John Saunders, Jul 9, 2004
  5. JJA

    JJA Guest

    > Windows Server 2003 supports ASP. What happens when you just try it?
    >
    > Try creating a site or virtual directory with a simple ASP page, like <%
    > Response.Write("Hello, World") %>.

    I was able to create a site called TestASP with a single file called
    index1.asp with one line as above and it responds with "Hello World".
    When I try to browse my development ASP site, I get:

    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
    might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
    adjust your browser settings.

    Please try the following:

    Click the Refresh button, or try again later. <blah..blah..blah>

    Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

    Here is a few lines snipped from the top of my index.asp page:

    <%@ LANGUAGE=vbscript %>
    <% Option Explicit %>
    <!--#include file="CheckBrowser.asp" -->
    <!--#include file="StyleSheet_Init0.asp" -->
    <title>MortgageDataWeb - The Best Source for Market Share and Lender
    Rankings</title>
    mortgage databases and market share reporting system (Conventional,
    FHA, VA, and HMDA).">
    market-share, lender, conventional, jumbo, conforming, loan-to-value">
    <% if bNetscape = 1 then %>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    .....etc....

    When using Visual Studio.Net 2003 as an editor for this .ASP page, I
    get sqiggly lines under all the HTML tags. For example, hovering under
    the <title> tag gives the message "Per the active schema, the element
    'title' must be included within a parent element". Could that be a
    clue that I cannot run the ASP files as they are perhaps?
    JJA, Jul 13, 2004
  6. "JJA" <> wrote in message

    > > Windows Server 2003 supports ASP. What happens when you just try it?
    > >
    > > Try creating a site or virtual directory with a simple ASP page, like <%
    > > Response.Write("Hello, World") %>.

    > I was able to create a site called TestASP with a single file called
    > index1.asp with one line as above and it responds with "Hello World".
    > When I try to browse my development ASP site, I get:
    >
    > The page cannot be displayed
    > The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
    > might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
    > adjust your browser settings.
    >
    > Please try the following:
    >
    > Click the Refresh button, or try again later. <blah..blah..blah>
    >
    > Cannot find server or DNS Error
    > Internet Explorer
    >
    > Here is a few lines snipped from the top of my index.asp page:
    >
    > <%@ LANGUAGE=vbscript %>
    > <% Option Explicit %>
    > <!--#include file="CheckBrowser.asp" -->
    > <!--#include file="StyleSheet_Init0.asp" -->
    > <title>MortgageDataWeb - The Best Source for Market Share and Lender
    > Rankings</title>
    > mortgage databases and market share reporting system (Conventional,
    > FHA, VA, and HMDA).">
    > market-share, lender, conventional, jumbo, conforming, loan-to-value">
    > <% if bNetscape = 1 then %>
    > <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    > ....etc....
    >
    > When using Visual Studio.Net 2003 as an editor for this .ASP page, I
    > get sqiggly lines under all the HTML tags. For example, hovering under
    > the <title> tag gives the message "Per the active schema, the element
    > 'title' must be included within a parent element". Could that be a
    > clue that I cannot run the ASP files as they are perhaps?

    look at your include files to see if one of them contains <html> and <head>.
    If one does, then perhaps it is not being processed as an include file.

    Also, you might now want to add to your index1.asp step by step, bringing it
    closer and closer to the page that doesn't work. At some point, it will stop
    working, and that will be a big clue. I try to do this like a binary search.
    When I add a chunk and it fails, I then remove half of the chunk I added and
    see if it fails. If so, I remove half again, but if not, I add half of the
    half chunk I removed...
    John Saunders, Jul 13, 2004
  7. JJA

    JJA Guest

    > look at your include files to see if one of them contains <html> and <head>.
    > If one does, then perhaps it is not being processed as an include file.

    That's correct. My #INCLUDE files generate the <html> and <head> tags
    along with different stylesheets depending on the browser detected. I
    guess I don't really know what to expect here. For example, if I OPEN
    a .ASP file in Visual Studio.Net and it immediately gives me squiggly
    lines it suggests this "editor" cannot see the "runtime effect" of the
    #INCLUDE file(s) inclusion. Visual Interdev 6.0 of course never
    "complained" about constructs like this. Granted, VS.Net is made for
    more powerful things than classic .ASP with #INCLUDEs but is there a
    "best practice" or guideline about how to nurse one's old ASP
    applications through an existence under VS.NET? For example, should
    you use NOTEPAD for editing .ASP files? That is, do you just "put up
    with" the apparent inability for VS.Net to recognize that #INCLUDE has
    not yet been processed and therefore the HTML tags are naturally going
    to be only partially correct?
    JJA, Jul 15, 2004
  8. "JJA" <> wrote in message

    Take a
    > > look at your include files to see if one of them contains <html> and

    <head>.
    > > If one does, then perhaps it is not being processed as an include file.

    > That's correct. My #INCLUDE files generate the <html> and <head> tags
    > along with different stylesheets depending on the browser detected. I
    > guess I don't really know what to expect here. For example, if I OPEN
    > a .ASP file in Visual Studio.Net and it immediately gives me squiggly
    > lines it suggests this "editor" cannot see the "runtime effect" of the
    > #INCLUDE file(s) inclusion. Visual Interdev 6.0 of course never
    > "complained" about constructs like this. Granted, VS.Net is made for
    > more powerful things than classic .ASP with #INCLUDEs but is there a
    > "best practice" or guideline about how to nurse one's old ASP
    > applications through an existence under VS.NET? For example, should
    > you use NOTEPAD for editing .ASP files? That is, do you just "put up
    > with" the apparent inability for VS.Net to recognize that #INCLUDE has
    > not yet been processed and therefore the HTML tags are naturally going
    > to be only partially correct?

    I think you're going to get into trouble with #include files which generate
    so much of the page structure. You should really work towards not using them
    at all (as the subject of this post suggests), but I'd most strongly suggest
    that you get rid of any #include files which do things so different from
    what ASP.NET does.

    Note that ASP.NET does everything as controls. A control doesn't generate
    some arbitrary string of text which may or may not be contributing to a
    valid stream of HTML. Instead, controls usually generate something
    self-contained. They generate something which would be valid if the control
    were moved somewhere else.

    So, it would be tolerable if your #include file were to generate some tags
    within the <head> area, or some tags within the <body> area, or if it
    something self-contained like that.
    John Saunders, Jul 15, 2004
  9. JJA

    JJA Guest

    > "JJA" <> wrote in message
    > > you use NOTEPAD for editing .ASP files? That is, do you just "put up
    > > with" the apparent inability for VS.Net to recognize that #INCLUDE has
    > > not yet been processed and therefore the HTML tags are naturally going
    > > to be only partially correct?

    Thanks very much for your input on this. I follow what you mean about
    "self-contained functionality" and for the most part I've tried to
    make the output of a given INCLUDE file a separate piece of
    functionality.

    I intend to get to ASP.NET user controls but the thrust of my question
    has been how to get the ASP simply working at all. I now know a bit
    more of what to expect. Part of my problem was that the IIS 6.0
    Migration Utility messed up part of my metabase. I think it is OK now.

    In summary, I'd love to hear your comments on the "squiggly line
    complaints" of the VS.Net editor that I raised in the post above. Is
    it best practice to just ignore that, use Interdev, use NotePad, or is
    there some tweak to VS.Net to get it to "calm down" when simply
    editing an old .ASP file with some of the HTML not fully developed
    until runtime?
    JJA, Jul 16, 2004
  10. "JJA" <> wrote in message
    > > "JJA" <> wrote in message
    > > > you use NOTEPAD for editing .ASP files? That is, do you just "put up
    > > > with" the apparent inability for VS.Net to recognize that #INCLUDE has
    > > > not yet been processed and therefore the HTML tags are naturally going
    > > > to be only partially correct?

    > Thanks very much for your input on this. I follow what you mean about
    > "self-contained functionality" and for the most part I've tried to
    > make the output of a given INCLUDE file a separate piece of
    > functionality.
    >
    > I intend to get to ASP.NET user controls but the thrust of my question
    > has been how to get the ASP simply working at all. I now know a bit
    > more of what to expect. Part of my problem was that the IIS 6.0
    > Migration Utility messed up part of my metabase. I think it is OK now.
    >
    > In summary, I'd love to hear your comments on the "squiggly line
    > complaints" of the VS.Net editor that I raised in the post above. Is
    > it best practice to just ignore that, use Interdev, use NotePad, or is
    > there some tweak to VS.Net to get it to "calm down" when simply
    > editing an old .ASP file with some of the HTML not fully developed
    > until runtime?

    Ignore the squiggly lines until you get further in your conversion. Once
    things have calmed down a bit, you'll find many of the squiggly lines to be
    useful. For instance, a web site I know of, converted from ASP, used to have
    several invalid attributes on the <body> tags. We happen not to have
    received any complaints from customers who saw a strange site.
    John Saunders, Jul 16, 2004
  11. JJA

    JJA Guest

    > Why not leave it as ASP? Nothing in the world is going to allow an ASP.NET
    > page to handle an included ASP file if that ASP file uses any features of
    > ASP which aren't compatible with ASP.NET.

    I am still really confused about how "regular, old, classic" .ASP
    files
    written with server side VBScript code are supported in the new
    environment of .Net running on Windows Server 2003.

    I was making some progress (trying to "leave it as ASP") and I thought
    I understood that ASP was supported within the new environment. Then I
    got:

    VBScript runtime error '800a0005'
    Invalid procedure call or argument 'Left'

    This fails on an assignment statement that uses the VBScript Left
    function. Then I found some notes somewhere that describes how Left
    and many other functions are "not supported" and have VB.Net
    equivalents.

    So I am confused about the suggestion to run .ASP files
    with VBScript in .NET. I took this to mean that VBScript would behave
    like it does under IIS 4.0 (for example, run time interpreted code,
    etc.)

    Now it is starting to dawn on me that even though it looks like
    VBScript and resides within a file whose extension is .ASP not .ASPX,
    it is not really VBScript but rather VB.Net. I am deducing this
    because the Left function is disallowed. I am assuming that the
    VBScript code that is working so far is actually being compiled (i.e.
    treated like VB.Net code and working only because the pieces I've run
    so far are compatible - until I ran into the Left function).

    In short, is there any way to postpone all the wonders of ASP.Net and
    VB.Net and get an ASP-based site written in VBScript to work without
    conversion (in this case, the Left function but I know I'll run into
    more things like this as I continue testing).
    JJA, Jul 26, 2004
  12. "JJA" <> wrote in message
    > > Why not leave it as ASP? Nothing in the world is going to allow an

    ASP.NET
    > > page to handle an included ASP file if that ASP file uses any features

    of
    > > ASP which aren't compatible with ASP.NET.
    > >

    > I am still really confused about how "regular, old, classic" .ASP
    > files
    > written with server side VBScript code are supported in the new
    > environment of .Net running on Windows Server 2003.
    >
    > I was making some progress (trying to "leave it as ASP") and I thought
    > I understood that ASP was supported within the new environment. Then I
    > got:

    When I said, "leave it as ASP", I meant that. I didn't mean "rename a .ASP
    file to .ASPX". The same web site can contain both .aspx pages and .asp
    pages.
    John Saunders, Jul 26, 2004
  13. JJA

    JJA Guest

    > When I said, "leave it as ASP", I meant that. I didn't mean "rename a .ASP
    > file to .ASPX". The same web site can contain both .aspx pages and .asp
    > pages.

    Yes, I know. All my files are still .ASP. Here a function in one of my
    include files:

    Function EnDeCryptXOR(ByVal OTPadKey, ByVal CPText)
    Dim Counter, Size, KeyCounter, KeySize, arrKey
    OTPadKey = CStr(OTPadKey)
    KeySize = Len(OTPadKey)
    ReDim arrKey(KeySize)
    CPText = CStr(CPText)
    Size = Len(CPText)
    For KeyCounter = 1 To KeySize
    arrKey(KeyCounter) = Mid(OTPadKey, KeyCounter, 1)
    EnDeCryptXOR = EnDeCryptXOR & _
    CStr(Asc(arrKey(KeyCounter)) Xor Asc(Mid(CPText, ((KeyCounter mod
    Size) + 1), 1))) & ","
    Next
    EnDeCryptXOR = Left(EnDeCryptXOR, Len(EnDeCryptXOR)-1)
    End Function ' EnDeCryptXOR

    This fails with:

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'
    Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'
    /devmdw/XOR/XOR.asp, line 21

    So, what to conclude of this? VBScript's LEFT function is apparently
    not allowed in VB.Net. So I have to rewrite with an equivalent
    function (e.g. use of the Substring method of the String class)?

    But doesn't that suggest that ALL of what appears to me like VBScript
    in my .ASP files is in fact being treated like VB.Net?
    JJA, Jul 27, 2004
  14. "JJA" <> wrote in message
    > > When I said, "leave it as ASP", I meant that. I didn't mean "rename a

    ..ASP
    > > file to .ASPX". The same web site can contain both .aspx pages and .asp
    > > pages.

    > Yes, I know. All my files are still .ASP. Here a function in one of my
    > include files:

    <snip>

    > This fails with:
    >
    > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'
    > Invalid procedure call or argument: 'Left'
    > /devmdw/XOR/XOR.asp, line 21
    >
    > So, what to conclude of this? VBScript's LEFT function is apparently
    > not allowed in VB.Net. So I have to rewrite with an equivalent
    > function (e.g. use of the Substring method of the String class)?
    >
    > But doesn't that suggest that ALL of what appears to me like VBScript
    > in my .ASP files is in fact being treated like VB.Net?

    No. It says "VBScript", so it's ASP.

    The error message says invalid procedure call or argument, so maybe it's not
    the procedure call, but the arguments. Try Left("12", 1) and see what
    happens. If it works, then maybe the problem is with EnDeCryptXOR or
    Len(EnDeCryptXOR)-1. Note in particular that if Len(EnDeCryptXOR)=0, then
    Len(EnDeCryptXOR)-1 = -1, which I bet Left doesn't like much.
    John Saunders, Jul 27, 2004