any way to upload multiple files per time?

x. zhang

Hi Guys,

We know that we can use <input type=file ...> to upload
one file per time to the server. My question is if there
are some way to upload multiple files per time to the
server. (Of course, we can use <input type=file ...>
multiple times and then submit once. But this is not what
I want, because we have to click "browse" button several
times to select multiple files before submit in this
way.) "Upload multiple files PER TIME", I mean it. We can
select multiple files in ONE time, submit in ONE time,
and thus upload in ONE time. Are there any way to do that?

By the way, the browser is IE 5 and later.

Thanks.

Ray at

No, you cannot do this, at least not in any of today's browsers, AFAIK.
You'll have to use multiple file inputs.

Ray at work

x. zhang

Thanks.

Can we write some ActiveX component to do that job? I
think there should be some way. But how?

Tom B

You can always write an ActiveX component. There are limitations though
1) Your users will have to trust your component.
2) Your users will have to have a browser that works with ActiveX

James Monroe

You certainly can but yes, you will need an applet that runs a non native
file picker allowing more than one file or a folder to be selected from the
browser....etc etc The user will have to agree to the applet accessing their
local hard drive and of course be running a suitable browser.
(This shouldnt be a big deal if they really want to use such a feature.. and
you explain to them what is going on)

I do belive you can even gets the applets signed through verisign should you
go that far.

As for builing your own applet.
Since this is file uploading and rather complex most likely you'll need to
buy one and they are rather expensive.
Building one on your own would probably be a nightmare and there would
certainly be bugs with various things. Browser versions/mac issues etc etc

This page I found mentions the multiple file upload issue and also links to
a couple commerical products that handle it.

http://www.cjwsoft.com/aspgallery/pro_add_ons_safileup_multi.asp