Anyone else getting weird flickr errors?

Gregory Brown

When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
failed' message from flickr.

Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Gregory Brown

I have been getting this too.

I'll probably set up a filter to auto-trash these, but this is
probably something that should be dealt with. :-/

Is there a ruby-talk admin that wants to complain to flickr or would
it be okay if I just contacted them?

Edwin Fine

Gregory said:
I'll probably set up a filter to auto-trash these, but this is
probably something that should be dealt with. :-/

Is there a ruby-talk admin that wants to complain to flickr or would
it be okay if I just contacted them?

I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com) an
email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it Flickr or
something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

Gregory Brown

I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com) an
email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it Flickr or
something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

Not sure. I wonder if they require email verification. If you could
use ruby-talk as your email address, you could create this nice
annoying problem for its users.

Robert Klemme

Gregory Brown said:
Not sure. I wonder if they require email verification. If you could
use ruby-talk as your email address, you could create this nice
annoying problem for its users.

Yeah, that would be my theory as well. Maybe some robot grabbed ruby-talk's
address from a news server and tried to spam it (obviously not with with
image spam since the message indicates there was no picture :)).

Kind regards

robert

donn

Shortly after reading the header to this message, my Outlook pop-up
alerted me to a received message from Flickr saying that my upload
failed. It wasn't until after I received the message in Outlook that I
opened your message here on the board.

Someone has some pretty slick $#!t in their hopper, as I haven't a clue
how they managed that. But then again, with Win XP, next to anything
can happen to you.

dvn

Doug Kramer

I've been getting the same messages. Just started today. I'm on Macintosh
and Linux, not Windows. I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, so it has nothing
to do with Microsoft software.

-Doug

Steven Hansen

Doug said:
I've been getting the same messages. Just started today. I'm on
Macintosh
and Linux, not Windows. I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, so it has
nothing
to do with Microsoft software.

-Doug

Yes, I've been getting them too. I get the error each time I send a
message. I'm on OSX using thunderbird.

-Steven

Trans

Gregory said:
When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
failed' message from flickr.

Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

Yes. And I've already contactee them. This is waht they said:

Hello,

Flickr allows its users to upload photos via email to a
secret email address tied to their account. These can be
uploads from a cameraphone or other device, or a script, or
a regular ol' email client. When we encounter problems with
the upload, we respond back to the email address that the
upload was sent from to let them know. In this case, the
email appeared to be from a mailing list you are a member
of, so the error response got sent there. I've added the
address of your mailing list to our block list to make sure
this doesn't happen again, and gotten in touch with the user
involved to try and figure out if these upload attempts were
done on purpose or not.

Thanks for your report.

Cheers,
Myles

T.

Luciano Ramalho

The response from Flickr quoted below was 12 hours ago, but the issue
was not fixed. I just sent a message to Ruby-talk and got the Flickr
error message back. Gmail is my mail app, so from all the other
reports we know this is not at all conected to the client-side apps.

Cheers,

Luciano

Jacob Fugal

[...]

Their diagnosis is close, but not correct. And it's far enough from
the real case that their block isn't working.

What happened is not that the list address got set as the "secret
email" -- if this had been the case the *whole list* would get the
"upload failed" message any time *anyone* posted to the list. You can
imagine the flood that would cause.

Instead, someone (let's call him Bob) subscribed their "secret email"
to the list. When Alice sends an email to the list, that email is
passed on to all recipients, including Bob's secret email. This
triggers a file upload attempt, which of course fails, and the
response is sent to Alice because it was her email that triggered it.
This fits the symptoms that I've seen and read about.

Blocking the list address won't do any good because the emails are
addressed *to* the list, not *from* the list -- the email message
forwarded by the list retains the "From:" header of the original
author.

What we need to do is just remove the subscription for
"(e-mail address removed)" from the mailing list.

Jacob Fugal

P.S. This is the same diagnosis Chris Carter came up with in
[ruby-talk:226395], so don't give me all (or even much of) the credit.