  1. When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
    failed' message from flickr.

    Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

    Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2006

  2. On 11/24/06, Chris Carter <> wrote:
    > I have been getting this too.

    I'll probably set up a filter to auto-trash these, but this is
    probably something that should be dealt with. :-/

    Is there a ruby-talk admin that wants to complain to flickr or would
    it be okay if I just contacted them?

    Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2006

  3. Gregory Brown

    Edwin Fine Guest

    Gregory Brown wrote:
    > On 11/24/06, Chris Carter <> wrote:
    >> I have been getting this too.

    > I'll probably set up a filter to auto-trash these, but this is
    > probably something that should be dealt with. :-/
    >
    > Is there a ruby-talk admin that wants to complain to flickr or would
    > it be okay if I just contacted them?

    I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com) an
    email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it Flickr or
    something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

    Edwin Fine, Nov 24, 2006
  4. On 11/24/06, Edwin Fine <> wrote:

    > I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com) an
    > email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it Flickr or
    > something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

    Not sure. I wonder if they require email verification. If you could
    use ruby-talk as your email address, you could create this nice
    annoying problem for its users.

    Gregory Brown, Nov 24, 2006
  5. Gregory Brown <> wrote:
    > On 11/24/06, Edwin Fine <> wrote:
    >
    >> I also have the problem. I already sent Flickr (help AT flickr.com)
    >> an email, but more probably wouldn't hurt. The thing is, is it
    >> Flickr or something that got hacked (heaven forbid) on ruby-talk?

    > Not sure. I wonder if they require email verification. If you could
    > use ruby-talk as your email address, you could create this nice
    > annoying problem for its users.

    Yeah, that would be my theory as well. Maybe some robot grabbed ruby-talk's
    address from a news server and tried to spam it (obviously not with with
    image spam since the message indicates there was no picture :)).

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Nov 24, 2006
  6. Gregory Brown

    Guest

    Shortly after reading the header to this message, my Outlook pop-up
    alerted me to a received message from Flickr saying that my upload
    failed. It wasn't until after I received the message in Outlook that I
    opened your message here on the board.

    Someone has some pretty slick $#!t in their hopper, as I haven't a clue
    how they managed that. But then again, with Win XP, next to anything
    can happen to you.

    dvn

    Gregory Brown wrote:
    > When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
    > failed' message from flickr.
    >
    > Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

    , Nov 27, 2006
  7. Gregory Brown

    Doug Kramer Guest

    I've been getting the same messages. Just started today. I'm on Macintosh
    and Linux, not Windows. I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, so it has nothing
    to do with Microsoft software.

    -Doug

    Doug Kramer, Nov 27, 2006
  8. Doug Kramer wrote:
    > I've been getting the same messages. Just started today. I'm on
    > Macintosh
    > and Linux, not Windows. I use Thunderbird, not Outlook, so it has
    > nothing
    > to do with Microsoft software.
    >
    > -Doug
    >
    > wrote:
    >> Shortly after reading the header to this message, my Outlook pop-up
    >> alerted me to a received message from Flickr saying that my upload
    >> failed. It wasn't until after I received the message in Outlook that I
    >> opened your message here on the board.
    >>
    >> Someone has some pretty slick $#!t in their hopper, as I haven't a clue
    >> how they managed that. But then again, with Win XP, next to anything
    >> can happen to you.
    >>
    >> dvn
    >>

    >> Gregory Brown wrote:
    >>> When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
    >>> failed' message from flickr.
    >>>
    >>> Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

    Yes, I've been getting them too. I get the error each time I send a
    message. I'm on OSX using thunderbird.

    -Steven

    Steven Hansen, Nov 28, 2006
  9. Gregory Brown

    Trans Guest

    Gregory Brown wrote:
    > When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
    > failed' message from flickr.
    >
    > Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

    Yes. And I've already contactee them. This is waht they said:

    Hello,

    Flickr allows its users to upload photos via email to a
    secret email address tied to their account. These can be
    uploads from a cameraphone or other device, or a script, or
    a regular ol' email client. When we encounter problems with
    the upload, we respond back to the email address that the
    upload was sent from to let them know. In this case, the
    email appeared to be from a mailing list you are a member
    of, so the error response got sent there. I've added the
    address of your mailing list to our block list to make sure
    this doesn't happen again, and gotten in touch with the user
    involved to try and figure out if these upload attempts were
    done on purpose or not.

    Thanks for your report.

    Cheers,
    Myles

    T.

    Trans, Nov 28, 2006
  10. The response from Flickr quoted below was 12 hours ago, but the issue
    was not fixed. I just sent a message to Ruby-talk and got the Flickr
    error message back. Gmail is my mail app, so from all the other
    reports we know this is not at all conected to the client-side apps.

    Cheers,

    Luciano

    Luciano Ramalho, Nov 28, 2006
  11. Gregory Brown

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 11/27/06, Trans <> wrote:
    > Gregory Brown wrote:
    > > When I post to RubyTalk, I've been getting a 'your photo upload
    > > failed' message from flickr.
    > >
    > > Weird! Anyone else seeing this?

    > Yes. And I've already contactee them. This is waht they said:
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Flickr allows its users to upload photos via email to a
    > secret email address tied to their account. These can be
    > uploads from a cameraphone or other device, or a script, or
    > a regular ol' email client. When we encounter problems with
    > the upload, we respond back to the email address that the
    > upload was sent from to let them know. In this case, the
    > email appeared to be from a mailing list you are a member
    > of, so the error response got sent there. I've added the
    > address of your mailing list to our block list to make sure
    > this doesn't happen again, and gotten in touch with the user
    > involved to try and figure out if these upload attempts were
    > done on purpose or not.
    >
    > Thanks for your report.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Myles

    Their diagnosis is close, but not correct. And it's far enough from
    the real case that their block isn't working.

    What happened is not that the list address got set as the "secret
    email" -- if this had been the case the *whole list* would get the
    "upload failed" message any time *anyone* posted to the list. You can
    imagine the flood that would cause.

    Instead, someone (let's call him Bob) subscribed their "secret email"
    to the list. When Alice sends an email to the list, that email is
    passed on to all recipients, including Bob's secret email. This
    triggers a file upload attempt, which of course fails, and the
    response is sent to Alice because it was her email that triggered it.
    This fits the symptoms that I've seen and read about.

    Blocking the list address won't do any good because the emails are
    addressed *to* the list, not *from* the list -- the email message
    forwarded by the list retains the "From:" header of the original
    author.

    What we need to do is just remove the subscription for
    "" from the mailing list.

    Jacob Fugal

    P.S. This is the same diagnosis Chris Carter came up with in
    [ruby-talk:226395], so don't give me all (or even much of) the credit.

    Jacob Fugal, Nov 28, 2006