    come naturally to me but do they actually work? will they be valid and
    valuable backlinks?

    Tim W
    Tim W, May 20, 2012

  2. Tim W

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Tim W" <> wrote in message
    news:jpal95$kcu$...
    > You used to 'register' a site with search engines in the distant past last
    > time I did any of this, so that yahoo and altavista would take a look. Is
    > this not necessary any more?

    Some search engines do still require this - but only the small ones. All the
    big search engines don't require it because they expect to be able to find
    your site by following links. So, do ensure that you have a link to your
    site somewhere!

    > Backlinks - is there really any point spamming newsgroups? What about
    > registering with internet forums and making a few posts? Are there good
    > free business directories that I should try to get a link on? opening a
    > free blog and putting a little bit of content on it to support a link back
    > to your site? Stealing a photo from Flickr and then putting a message on
    > Flickr with a link back to your site saying " I stole your photo, you
    > don't mind do you?"
    > - all these thigs seem a bit shitty and cynical somehow and wouldn't come
    > naturally to me but do they actually work? will they be valid and valuable
    > backlinks?

    Back links are still useful, but google certainly has mechanisms for
    identifying whether or not it thinks the back link is real or not. It
    wouldn't surprise me if links from newsgroups aren't worth very much -
    however, I would suggest that you include a link in your signature as a
    minimum.

    No, its definitly not worth spamming newsgroups. Google and others are aware
    of spammers and have mechanisms to detect link spam. How good those
    mechanisms are I don't know, but its really not worth it. You are more
    likely to annoy people. Likewise I suspect that most directories have gone
    the same way - that doesn't mean don't find them and get yourself listed
    just be aware that they are of minimal value seo wise. There probably are
    some "black-hat" tricks which still work, but as soon as google (and others)
    cotten on you will loose any benefit and probably be penalised as well.

    I've found that the right links on the likes of stumbleupon can generate a
    lot of traffic, but only the right links. I'm sure there is more which could
    be said, but I'm still trying to find the right combination of things.

    I wrote some notes up a while back about getting links, it might be useful:
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/seo/seo_tip_8.htm

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, May 21, 2012

  3. Tim W

    Guest

    On Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:41:29 AM UTC-4, Tim W wrote:
    > You used to 'register' a site with search engines in the distant past
    > last time I did any of this, so that yahoo and altavista would take a
    > look. Is this not necessary any more?

    I've found that sites just pop up on the web naturally these days. You don't have to do anything. This is especially true of SEO-friendly platforms like WordPress or Joomla.

    > - all these thigs seem a bit shitty and cynical somehow and wouldn't
    > come naturally to me but do they actually work?

    Time and a competitive edge are what you need. It's easy to do both. Time just moves forward, and your site gets established. The competitive edge is just about doing a better job, and that's still easy to achieve, considering that a lot of webmasters can't read their own code.

    Spamming is something that one should never stoop to. It's like trying to run Amway out of your home. Eventually all your friends stop coming by, because every time they do, you try to push some health powder on them.

    Hope you're well.
    , May 21, 2012
  4. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 21/05/2012 12:50, wrote:
    > On Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:41:29 AM UTC-4, Tim W wrote:
    >> You used to 'register' a site with search engines in the distant past
    >> last time I did any of this, so that yahoo and altavista would take a
    >> look. Is this not necessary any more?

    > I've found that sites just pop up on the web naturally these days. You don't have to do anything. This is especially true of SEO-friendly platforms like WordPress or Joomla.
    >
    >> - all these thigs seem a bit shitty and cynical somehow and wouldn't
    >> come naturally to me but do they actually work?

    > Time and a competitive edge are what you need. It's easy to do both. Time just moves forward, and your site gets established. The competitive edge is just about doing a better job, and that's still easy to achieve, considering that a lot of webmasters can't read their own code.
    >
    > Spamming is something that one should never stoop to. It's like trying to run Amway out of your home. Eventually all your friends stop coming by, because every time they do, you try to push some health powder on them.
    >
    > Hope you're well.

    I am very well Ian, thanks for asking and I hope you are too. Ta for the
    help and advice as well.

    Tim w
    Tim W, May 21, 2012
  5. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    Tim W, May 21, 2012
  6. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 21/05/2012 12:28, Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "Tim W" <> wrote in message
    >> You used to 'register' a site with search engines in the distant past
    >> last time I did any of this, so that yahoo and altavista would take a
    >> look. Is this not necessary any more?

    > Some search engines do still require this - but only the small ones.
    > All the big search engines don't require it because they expect to be
    > able to find your site by following links. So, do ensure that you have
    > a link to your site somewhere!
    >
    >> Backlinks - is there really any point spamming newsgroups? What about
    >> registering with internet forums and making a few posts? Are there
    >> good free business directories that I should try to get a link on?
    >> opening a free blog and putting a little bit of content on it to
    >> support a link back to your site? Stealing a photo from Flickr and
    >> then putting a message on Flickr with a link back to your site saying
    >> " I stole your photo, you don't mind do you?"
    >> - all these thigs seem a bit shitty and cynical somehow and wouldn't
    >> come naturally to me but do they actually work? will they be valid
    >> and valuable backlinks?

    > Back links are still useful, but google certainly has mechanisms for
    > identifying whether or not it thinks the back link is real or not. It
    > wouldn't surprise me if links from newsgroups aren't worth very much -
    > however, I would suggest that you include a link in your signature as
    > a minimum.
    >
    > No, its definitly not worth spamming newsgroups. Google and others are
    > aware of spammers and have mechanisms to detect link spam. How good
    > those mechanisms are I don't know, but its really not worth it. You
    > are more likely to annoy people. Likewise I suspect that most
    > directories have gone the same way - that doesn't mean don't find them
    > and get yourself listed just be aware that they are of minimal value
    > seo wise. There probably are some "black-hat" tricks which still work,
    > but as soon as google (and others) cotten on you will loose any
    > benefit and probably be penalised as well.
    >
    > I've found that the right links on the likes of stumbleupon can
    > generate a lot of traffic, but only the right links. I'm sure there is
    > more which could be said, but I'm still trying to find the right
    > combination of things.
    >
    > I wrote some notes up a while back about getting links, it might be
    > useful: http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/seo/seo_tip_8.htm
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    It helps a lot. I am reading your site with interest.

    I might be being stupid but I cant see how you put a link on stumbleupon.

    tim ~W
    Tim W, May 21, 2012
  7. Tim W

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Tim W" <> wrote in message
    > On 21/05/2012 12:28, Brian Cryer wrote:
    >> "Tim W" <> wrote in message
    >>> You used to 'register' a site with search engines in the distant past
    >>> last time I did any of this, so that yahoo and altavista would take a
    >>> look. Is this not necessary any more?

    >> Some search engines do still require this - but only the small ones. All
    >> the big search engines don't require it because they expect to be able to
    >> find your site by following links. So, do ensure that you have a link to
    >> your site somewhere!
    >>
    >>> Backlinks - is there really any point spamming newsgroups? What about
    >>> registering with internet forums and making a few posts? Are there good
    >>> free business directories that I should try to get a link on? opening a
    >>> free blog and putting a little bit of content on it to support a link
    >>> back to your site? Stealing a photo from Flickr and then putting a
    >>> message on Flickr with a link back to your site saying " I stole your
    >>> photo, you don't mind do you?"
    >>> - all these thigs seem a bit shitty and cynical somehow and wouldn't
    >>> come naturally to me but do they actually work? will they be valid and
    >>> valuable backlinks?

    >> Back links are still useful, but google certainly has mechanisms for
    >> identifying whether or not it thinks the back link is real or not. It
    >> wouldn't surprise me if links from newsgroups aren't worth very much -
    >> however, I would suggest that you include a link in your signature as a
    >> minimum.
    >>
    >> No, its definitly not worth spamming newsgroups. Google and others are
    >> aware of spammers and have mechanisms to detect link spam. How good those
    >> mechanisms are I don't know, but its really not worth it. You are more
    >> likely to annoy people. Likewise I suspect that most directories have
    >> gone the same way - that doesn't mean don't find them and get yourself
    >> listed just be aware that they are of minimal value seo wise. There
    >> probably are some "black-hat" tricks which still work, but as soon as
    >> google (and others) cotten on you will loose any benefit and probably be
    >> penalised as well.
    >>
    >> I've found that the right links on the likes of stumbleupon can generate
    >> a lot of traffic, but only the right links. I'm sure there is more which
    >> could be said, but I'm still trying to find the right combination of
    >> things.
    >>
    >> I wrote some notes up a while back about getting links, it might be
    >> useful: http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/seo/seo_tip_8.htm
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.

    > It helps a lot. I am reading your site with interest.
    >
    > I might be being stupid but I cant see how you put a link on stumbleupon.

    Its been a while since I did it, but I *think* that with stumbleupon you
    need to sign up and use their toolbar, then you can add links.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, May 22, 2012