    %%% 919-577-9882 % the coin will fall."
    %%%% <> % 'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO
    http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr

    Randy Yates, Oct 21, 2004

  2. "Randy Yates" <> wrote...
    > I'm looking for something that is completely independent of the MSVC++
    > Dev Studio environment, something that will compile and run under
    > win32 using the mingw distribution. A class that allows schema
    > definitions to be made and recordsets to be queried and updated would
    > be wonderful. It doesn't have to include the kitchen sink!
    > Simplificity and functionality are the prime desires.

    These things are better discussed in a database programming newsgroup.
    I am not trying to chase you away, I just think that there you will
    find more information and higher quality of it.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Randy Yates

    Randy Yates Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> writes:

    > "Randy Yates" <> wrote...
    >> I'm looking for something that is completely independent of the MSVC++
    >> Dev Studio environment, something that will compile and run under
    >> win32 using the mingw distribution. A class that allows schema
    >> definitions to be made and recordsets to be queried and updated would
    >> be wonderful. It doesn't have to include the kitchen sink!
    >> Simplificity and functionality are the prime desires.

    > These things are better discussed in a database programming newsgroup.
    > I am not trying to chase you away, I just think that there you will
    > find more information and higher quality of it.

    Victor,

    I find myself strangely torn between wanting to agree with you
    and argue with you. What if I had asked (as previously) for
    a good date/time class? Would you want me to go to a "date/time
    programming newsgroup"??? What if I went to a database
    newsgroup and asked the same question and they said, "These
    things are better discussed in a programming group."??? There
    is some limit somewhere on the atomicity of topicality.

    In any case, got any suggestions on which group?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "Midnight, on the water...
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % I saw... the ocean's daughter."

    Randy Yates, Oct 21, 2004
  4. "Randy Yates" <> wrote...
    > "Victor Bazarov" <> writes:
    >
    >> "Randy Yates" <> wrote...
    >>> I'm looking for something that is completely independent of the MSVC++
    >>> Dev Studio environment, something that will compile and run under
    >>> win32 using the mingw distribution. A class that allows schema
    >>> definitions to be made and recordsets to be queried and updated would
    >>> be wonderful. It doesn't have to include the kitchen sink!
    >>> Simplificity and functionality are the prime desires.

    >> These things are better discussed in a database programming newsgroup.
    >> I am not trying to chase you away, I just think that there you will
    >> find more information and higher quality of it.

    > Victor,
    >
    > I find myself strangely torn between wanting to agree with you
    > and argue with you. What if I had asked (as previously) for
    > a good date/time class? Would you want me to go to a "date/time
    > programming newsgroup"???

    Don't be ridiculous. Date/time functionality is built into the
    standard library. While there _might_ be a better place for it,
    discussing getting date/time and/or wrapping it into a class is
    absolutely topical here.

    > What if I went to a database
    > newsgroup and asked the same question

    Did you? If you did, what did they say? If you didn't, there is
    NOTHING to talk about.

    > and they said, "These
    > things are better discussed in a programming group."???

    What if I had a million dollars? Would I be hanging out here
    with you? What if Bin Laden died when he was 6 years old?
    Stop playing a fool (unless you're not playing already). I said
    "database _programming_ newsgroup". If they, in a database
    _programming_ newsgroup suggest going to a _programming_ newsgroup,
    you go to comp.programming. Or to Google.

    And you know what? I dare you to find a database programming NG
    that would refuse to discuss a "good ODBC Database class".

    > There
    > is some limit somewhere on the atomicity of topicality.

    "Atomicity of topicality"? What does that mean? ODBC is NOT
    topical here because C++ language Standard makes _no_mention_ of
    it *whatsoever*. Atomicity or not.

    > In any case, got any suggestions on which group?

    Nope. I don't do databases, so I don't know of any. Try looking
    for 'odbc' in the name, maybe. There is, like, a ton of forums
    with "comp.databases" in the name. Why not there?

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Randy Yates <> wrote:
    > Hi Folks,

    --8<--[SNIP] --8<--

    OTL & DTL are two different C++ libraries that I have found very useful.
    One is stream based the other is geared like the STL in concepts of
    containers, adapters, and algorithms. Since this is Off-Topic for this
    group you can google for more - there are hundreds out there.

    --
    Chris Johnson
    ~

    Chris Johnson, Oct 21, 2004
  6. Randy Yates

    Randy Yates Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> writes:
    > [...]

    Did anyone ever tell you you're a jerk?

    Randy Yates, Oct 21, 2004
  7. X-No-archive: yes
    Randy Yates wrote:
    > "Victor Bazarov" <> writes:
    >
    >>[...]

    > Did anyone ever tell you you're a jerk?

    Actually, no. A moron, yes, IIRC. An asshole, yes,
    probably. Some hard to translate Russian epithets, yes,
    definitely. A jerk, no.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 21, 2004