Anyone use Mailto Encryptor?

Cliff R.

Hi, I found this application called Mailto Encryptor, which changes
your email address into characters that Spambots presumably can't read
when they search websites for addresses. Seems like a good idea to me
and you don't have to worry about people with Javascript turned off
(the alternative seems to be using JS to hide your email address).

In searching around, though, I've found a few comments that spambots
figured this method out a long time ago, which means it's useless.
Other comments still praise this method and say it works. I was
wondering if anybody has any scoop on which to believe? or if there
are any other good non-Javascript methods out there?

Thanks,
Cliff

Samuël van Laere

Cliff R. said:
Hi, I found this application called Mailto Encryptor, which changes
your email address into characters that Spambots presumably can't read
when they search websites for addresses. Seems like a good idea to me
and you don't have to worry about people with Javascript turned off
(the alternative seems to be using JS to hide your email address).

In searching around, though, I've found a few comments that spambots
figured this method out a long time ago, which means it's useless.
Other comments still praise this method and say it works. I was
wondering if anybody has any scoop on which to believe? or if there
are any other good non-Javascript methods out there?

I'm sure most spambots are aware of this "trick" by now
so its probally a waste of time to implent it as such.
Its best not to publish your e-mail address at all and use a mailform
instead (if you can)

Regards,
Samuël

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

Samuël van Laere said:
"Cliff R." schreef in bericht...

I'm sure most spambots are aware of this "trick" by now
so its probally a waste of time to implent it as such.
Its best not to publish your e-mail address at all and use a mailform
instead (if you can)

How about encryption in Javascript AND a "stripped" non-javascript version,
like my page:
http://home.online.no/~ingerfaj/personal.html

I have used the encrypter here:
http://www.ecardiff.net/

Is this safe? And, is it obvious for humans that the
non-javascript version is my
email address, even if you don't read Norwegian? Can you use it?

Samuël van Laere

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:
How about encryption in Javascript AND a "stripped" non-javascript version,
like my page:
http://home.online.no/~ingerfaj/personal.html

I have used the encrypter here:
http://www.ecardiff.net/

Is this safe? And, is it obvious for humans that the
non-javascript version is my
email address, even if you don't read Norwegian? Can you use it?

I'm sure that your javascript will not fool the spambots.
So far i know there are just no "spambot save" javascripts available,
you think of a new trick and sooner or later spambots will master it.
Perhaps there's a server-side script that works though, if i remember
correctly
i've seen something like that written for php some time ago.

But as said, that is so far i know.

Regards,
Samuël