    way to keep track of what 'version' the web site is and can't find anything
    that only changes when it's recompiled.)

    TIA - Jeff.

    UJ, Nov 14, 2006

  2. UJ

    Guest

    What version of .NET? If it's 2.0 I don't think there's any way to
    tell when a website is recompiled. If it's not I think there's a way
    but I'm not quite sure exactly how.
    UJ wrote:
    > Is there a way to tell when something was compiled? (I'm trying to find a
    > way to keep track of what 'version' the web site is and can't find anything
    > that only changes when it's recompiled.)
    >
    > TIA - Jeff.

    , Nov 14, 2006

  3. Jeff-

    As far as I know, ASP.NET 2.0 (basis from there since there wasn't a specified
    version) no longer 'compiles' like 1.1; the framework compiles everything
    on the fly when it's requested by IIS and drops it in %systemroot\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{version}\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\.

    I'd recommend something such as a Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/)
    or SourceSafe for code versioning.

    -dl

    ---
    David Longnecker
    Web Developer
    http://blog.tiredstudent.com

    David Longnecker, Nov 14, 2006
  4. UJ

    Mark Rae Guest

    "David Longnecker" <> wrote in message

    > As far as I know, ASP.NET 2.0 (basis from there since there wasn't a
    > specified version) no longer 'compiles' like 1.1;

    It does if you install the Web Application Project add-in and create a web
    application project, or convert your web site project into one...

    Mark Rae, Nov 15, 2006
  5. UJ

    UJ Guest

    I've converted it to a web site project. Is there any way for me to tell
    when the version has changed? If I have to, I'll end up looking at the
    date/time on the .dll and keep track of that.

    UJ, Nov 15, 2006
  6. UJ

    UJ Guest

    BTW - the reason for this is that I want to keep a revision history
    automatically. At the moment I haven't put it in version control because the
    product hasn't been delivered. Plus if I use VSS, can I get full revision
    history reports that I can export to something else?

    TIA - Jeff.

    UJ, Nov 15, 2006
  7. UJ wrote:
    > BTW - the reason for this is that I want to keep a revision history
    > automatically. At the moment I haven't put it in version control
    > because the product hasn't been delivered.

    The time to begin using revision control is when you create the _first_
    project related file. Only using revision control when delivering is
    useless. But you have probably learned that the hard way already...

    > Plus if I use VSS, can I
    > get full revision history reports that I can export to something else?

    Don't know. The version of VSS that I had the dubious pleasure of using
    about eight years ago had to have its database rebuilt about once a week. I
    haven't found any reasons to look at VSS since.

    Ebbe

    Ebbe Kristensen, Nov 15, 2006
  8. The reporting in VSS 2005 isn't too shabby and can be dumped to a file or
    your clipboard to be posted into a customer report. If you're using VS 2005,
    you can use it's integration to add comments and such when you check in and
    then report out those comments along with deltas in the code.

    To Ebbe's point, not everyone is comfortable in using VSS due to past experiences,
    but application aside, the concept of source and versioning control from
    project start is invaluable.

    To Mark's point re: the Web Application Project (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx),
    good point... I'd totally forgotten about that.

    -dl

    ---
    David Longnecker
    Web Developer