Apache::DBI with mod_perl under load

ebling.miss

Hi all,

I am looking at using Apache::DBI in a high performance web
application.
This web application will be running under mod_perl 2.x and apache 2.x
on Fedora core 5.
The application will likely be supporting around 40 - 100 database
transactions a second to a mysql 5.x database .

A few colleagues have expressed their concerns over the stability of
Apache::DBI whilst using mod_perl, saying that they had frequent
crashes under high load.

Whilst i realise that this is a rather vague post / question - what is
your opinion on this particular module? i presumed it was considered
rather a standard for database access!
Are there any other modules that are worth trying out? Have any of you
experienced any quirks / problems when using Apache::DBI under high
load?

Many thanks for any of your thoughts!

Eb

brian d foy

A few colleagues have expressed their concerns over the stability of
Apache::DBI whilst using mod_perl, saying that they had frequent
crashes under high load.

Are they sure they're talking about Apache::DBI and not just guessing
about what caused their problem?

The good thing is that you don't have to make a decision. You can turn
Apache::DBI on or off without changing the codebase. Stress test your
application with and without Apache::DBI and see what happens. :)