App architecture for distributed deployment

Discussion in 'Java' started by Luke Webber, May 16, 2006.

  1. Luke Webber

    Luke Webber Guest

    I am in the planning stage for a Java-based business app, and my present
    thinking is that I will have the UI as a thick client delivered via
    Java Webstart, and communicating to the database via JDBC, with
    Hibernate over the top of that. Pretty simple, which I like.

    But now for the problem. The clients are likely to want to expose at
    least parts of the app via the Web for /their/ clients to use. Now I can
    either do this by writing that part of the system twice, once in Java
    and once as a web app using JSP, or I can try to design this thing so
    that it can be delivered over the web without compromising data
    security. Hence this question.

    Obviously, exposing a database to the internet is not a great idea. A
    bit like exposing your dangly bits in a pub brawl. So what are my
    alternatives here?

    Many thanks for any and all suggestions, flames or kicks in the goolies.

    Luke

    Luke Webber, May 16, 2006

  2. Luke Webber

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Luke Webber wrote:

    > But now for the problem. The clients are likely to want to expose at
    > least parts of the app via the Web for /their/ clients to use.

    Just a thought, but if your application is structured with a good separation
    between presentation and domain logic, then the web services (or whatever) is
    just a different front-end on the same model. I.e. the customer's web-server
    (or whatever) is just a different kind of "thick client" -- one which responds
    to network requests rather than user input. So there shouldn't be much
    unecessary code duplication between the web-service and the GUI app. The
    domain logic / model / business layer would be shared code, everthing else
    would do different things, and so would require different code anyway.

    Alternatively, you might take a look at something like WebCream

    http://www.creamtec.com/webcream/

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, May 16, 2006