APP_Data and sql server

Ilyas

Hi

I f I place an .mdf file inside the App_data to deploy a web app - can
I deply my site so that the database at runtime is picked up in the
App_data directory?

Would my server need to have sql server installed for this to work or
just the .net framework?

Is the above possible - if not what is the purpose of App_data?

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Ilyas,

your MDF should store somewhere in hard drive.
u can use the App_data but in SQL server u should import that DB from you
app_data forlder to work with this database from sql server

---
WBR,

I> Hi
I>
I> I f I place an .mdf file inside the App_data to deploy a web app -
I> can I deply my site so that the database at runtime is picked up in
I> the App_data directory?
I>
I> Would my server need to have sql server installed for this to work or
I> just the .net framework?
I>
I> Is the above possible - if not what is the purpose of App_data?

gnewsgroup

Michael said:
Hello Ilyas,

your MDF should store somewhere in hard drive.
u can use the App_data but in SQL server u should import that DB from you
app_data forlder to work with this database from sql server

---
WBR,

I> Hi
I>
I> I f I place an .mdf file inside the App_data to deploy a web app -
I> can I deply my site so that the database at runtime is picked up in
I> the App_data directory?
I>
I> Would my server need to have sql server installed for this to work or
I> just the .net framework?
I>
I> Is the above possible - if not what is the purpose of App_data?

I think what he was asking is this: will his mdf db file work properly
with his web app on the production sever if the production server does
not have sql sever installed?

Ilyas

Yes

this is exactly what I am asking - wil it work?

Michael Nemtsev [ MVP ] wrote:

Hello Ilyas,
your MDF should store somewhere in hard drive.
u can use the App_data but in SQL server u should import that DB from you
app_data forlder to work with this database from sql server
I> Hi
I>
I> I f I place an .mdf file inside the App_data to deploy a web app -
I> can I deply my site so that the database at runtime is picked up in
I> the App_data directory?
I>
I> Would my server need to have sql server installed for this to work or
I> just the .net framework?
I>
I> Is the above possible - if not what is the purpose of App_data?

I think what he was asking is this: will his mdf db file work properly
with his web app on the production sever if the production server does
not have sql sever installed?- Hide quoted text -