Add new SQL Database to App_Data need SQL Server Express installed?

Michael

Hi,
I've read Scott's article:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

but when I try to create a new database file in App_Data with
Visual Studio 2005, it shows error:

Connect to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005
to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or
download from the URL....

Steps to reproduce:
1. Add a new Web site
2. In Solution Explorer, click right mouse button on App_Data, then
select "Add New Item..."
3. Select SQL Database, click OK. Error happen!!

Doest that mean VS2005 still need SQL Server Express 2005 for some
functionality? Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Christopher Reed

Yes, I believe that you need SQL Server Express installed. You need to have
the database engine to run your database, even if it's in the App_Data
directory. The same would be true with an Access database where the Jet
Engine would need to be installed.

The solution is to install SQL Server Express.

Joined
Jul 19, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have the same problem on windows vista x64 - vs 2008 sp1 and SQL 2005 express, here's how I resolved my problem:

1. In VS2008 goto Tools/Options/Database Tools/Data Connections
2. in the blank text box that says (SQL Sever Instance Name (blank for default), I Enter sql 2005 express instance name
like SQLEXPRESS then press OK button and problem is gone.