Add new SQL Database to App_Data need SQL Server Express installed?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michael, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi,
    I've read Scott's article:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/423703.aspx

    but when I try to create a new database file in App_Data with
    Visual Studio 2005, it shows error:

    Connect to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005
    to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or
    download from the URL....

    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Add a new Web site
    2. In Solution Explorer, click right mouse button on App_Data, then
    select "Add New Item..."
    3. Select SQL Database, click OK. Error happen!!

    Doest that mean VS2005 still need SQL Server Express 2005 for some
    functionality? Is there a way to solve this problem?

    Thanks!
    Michael, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Yes, I believe that you need SQL Server Express installed. You need to have
    the database engine to run your database, even if it's in the App_Data
    directory. The same would be true with an Access database where the Jet
    Engine would need to be installed.

    The solution is to install SQL Server Express.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Michael

    magscy

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I have the same problem on windows vista x64 - vs 2008 sp1 and SQL 2005 express, here's how I resolved my problem:

    1. In VS2008 goto Tools/Options/Database Tools/Data Connections
    2. in the blank text box that says (SQL Sever Instance Name (blank for default), I Enter sql 2005 express instance name
    like SQLEXPRESS then press OK button and problem is gone.
    magscy, Jul 19, 2009