    If I do do it, sql server will be on my machine and sql express will be
    remote.

    Thanks

    AAaron123, Oct 28, 2008

  2. You can copy the file and attach.
    You can backup and then restore.
    You can use the Database Publishing wizard.

    The first is the fastest.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer - MVP\), Oct 28, 2008

  3. Hello Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer - MVP),

    Can you?!
    As I remember if your used enterprize features with your DB you can't easily
    attach this DB to previous editions.
    I had this issue with SQL enterprize and SQL Express 2005.
    Need to export/import first, as I remember.

    But it depends on DB and what was already changed

    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
    :: http://twitter.com/laflour

    Michael Nemtsev [MVP], Oct 28, 2008
  4. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    Database from sql server to sql express is not a problem?

    How about using the sql server as a client to the remote sql express?

    Thanks

    AAaron123, Oct 28, 2008
  5. "Michael Nemtsev [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer - MVP),
    >
    > Can you?!

    From SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 Express? Sure. That was the question outlined.

    > As I remember if your used enterprize features with your DB you can't
    > easily attach this DB to previous editions.

    SQL 2008 uses the 2005 file format, so there is not much problem between
    2008 and 2005. There is probably something you can do that 2005 will not
    understand.

    To test this, I just created a database in 2008, detatched it and attached
    to SQL 2005. No problems. For older versions of the database, you have to
    set compatibility and will likely have to use the backup and restore method.

    > I had this issue with SQL enterprize and SQL Express 2005. Need to
    > export/import first, as I remember.

    Backup and restore is often a better option when there is a known
    incompatiblity with file types.

    > But it depends on DB and what was already changed

    Certainly. And, worse case, you can always script out the database and then
    migrate the data. That is what the Database Publishing Wizard does, in
    effect. I would not use the Publishing Wizard for a huge database. It is
    designed for intial seed, IMO.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 28, 2008
  6. "AAaron123" <> wrote in message
    > Database from sql server to sql express is not a problem?
    >
    > How about using the sql server as a client to the remote sql express?

    You can also set up a Snapshot Replication, although that would be rather
    heavy for a single migration effort. :)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 28, 2008
  7. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    I take that to mean the sql client can talk to an sql express.
    Thanks a lot

    message news:O8k9$...

    AAaron123, Oct 28, 2008