Copy SQL SERVER 2008 database to sql Express 2008

AAaron123

I need to move a database from sql server 2008 to sql express 2008.

Will backing up the sql server 2008 database to a file and then using that
file to restore to sql express 2008 work?

I don't have express on my machine so I can't simply try to see if it works.

If I do do it, sql server will be on my machine and sql express will be
remote.

Thanks

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer - MVP\)

You can copy the file and attach.
You can backup and then restore.
You can use the Database Publishing wizard.

The first is the fastest.

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer - MVP),

Can you?!
As I remember if your used enterprize features with your DB you can't easily
attach this DB to previous editions.
I had this issue with SQL enterprize and SQL Express 2005.
Need to export/import first, as I remember.

But it depends on DB and what was already changed

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
:: http://twitter.com/laflour

C> You can copy the file and attach.
C> You can backup and then restore.
C> You can use the Database Publishing wizard.
C> The first is the fastest.
C>
C> Subscribe to my blog
C> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer#
C> or just read it:
C> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer
C> ********************************************
C> | Think outside the box! |
C> ********************************************

AAaron123

Database from sql server to sql express is not a problem?

How about using the sql server as a client to the remote sql express?

Thanks

Michael Nemtsev said:
Hello Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer - MVP),

Can you?! As I remember if your used enterprize features with your DB you
can't easily attach this DB to previous editions.
I had this issue with SQL enterprize and SQL Express 2005. Need to
export/import first, as I remember.

But it depends on DB and what was already changed

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog:
http://spaces.live.com/laflour :: http://twitter.com/laflour

C> You can copy the file and attach.
C> You can backup and then restore.
C> You can use the Database Publishing wizard.
C> The first is the fastest.
C> C> Subscribe to my blog
C> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer#
C> or just read it:
C> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer
C> ********************************************
C> | Think outside the box! |
C> ********************************************

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Michael Nemtsev said:
Hello Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer - MVP),

Can you?!

From SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 Express? Sure. That was the question outlined.
As I remember if your used enterprize features with your DB you can't
easily attach this DB to previous editions.

SQL 2008 uses the 2005 file format, so there is not much problem between
2008 and 2005. There is probably something you can do that 2005 will not
understand.

To test this, I just created a database in 2008, detatched it and attached
to SQL 2005. No problems. For older versions of the database, you have to
set compatibility and will likely have to use the backup and restore method.
I had this issue with SQL enterprize and SQL Express 2005. Need to
export/import first, as I remember.

Backup and restore is often a better option when there is a known
incompatiblity with file types.
But it depends on DB and what was already changed

Certainly. And, worse case, you can always script out the database and then
migrate the data. That is what the Database Publishing Wizard does, in
effect. I would not use the Publishing Wizard for a huge database. It is
designed for intial seed, IMO.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

AAaron123 said:
Database from sql server to sql express is not a problem?

How about using the sql server as a client to the remote sql express?

You can also set up a Snapshot Replication, although that would be rather
heavy for a single migration effort. :)