App_data folder question?

Artificer

Why by simply having a .mdf file in the app_data folder it is made
accessible? Does placing a .mdf in the app_data folder does some kind
of attachment? Do this pseudo attachment works only with the express
version of SQL Server? Do this feature works for access databases?

raghav

Hi Artificer

Nice question!! Whenver u include database, it comes under app_data
folder with extension .mdf. U have used word "attachment", I would like
to use word or rather the concept of CLR integration. So this feature
of CLR integration has been incorporated in .NET 2005.
This concept works with SQL Server 2005 only up to now. This feature
does not work for other databases. See this link to get better
understanding:-
http://www.developer.com/net/net/article.php/3528601
Best Wishes
Raghav Mahajan

Artificer

Thanks for your answer but I think that CLR Integration has more to do
with creating database objects on .NET like store procedures and
functions but my question was instead why I can use a database on SQL
Server without attaching it as it is usually required just by placing
it on the app_data folder.