Applet & MSIE

Ike

Although I am against it, for the very same reasons most of you are here, I
have been encumbered with having to make an Applet run on MSIE withOUT the
Sun plugin installed.

Thus, I have compiled everythign under jdk 1.1.8

There are no other jars the applet is dependent upon. Unfortunately, since
it IS a chat applet, and connects to a server other than the one serving it
up, it has to be digitally signed.

Under the Sun Plugin, everything runs fine. However, in MSIE, it never even
appears. I dont understand why as it was compiled entirely under 1.1.8. If
anyone has any insight as to why this wont run under the old MS VM, I would
be most grateful. I jsut want to get on to other things! Thanks, Ike

Applet is at:

http://www.ggrip.com/chat.html

p.s. the HTML for invoking it is fine, I have copied it from another site
that invokes an UNsigned applet which runs fine under MS VM.

Andrew Thompson

Under the Sun Plugin, everything runs fine. However, in MSIE, it never even
appears. I dont understand why as it was compiled entirely under 1.1.8.

Start with the exception it is showing
in the console..

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java/awt/TextField.<init>
at GG/chat/GGChatApplet.init
at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.sec...

Ike

Hey Andrew!
Yep, that was it....you da man. Hmmm, for some reason, I'm unable to bring
up the java console under MSIE....even though in MSIE-options I have it
enabled. Thank you again. -Ike

Andrew Thompson

...Hmmm, for some reason, I'm unable to bring
up the java console under MSIE....even though in MSIE-options I have it
enabled.

...odd. You are referring to ..
(alt|v, j) rather than
(alt|t, 'Sun Java Console' [or whatever])?
Thank you again. -Ike

You're welcome.

Ike

No......I just meant in the options-advanced tab on MSIE...I didnt even know
the alt|v,j was there......now I got it. Thanks again! Ike

--
Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson

No......I just meant in the options-advanced tab on MSIE...I didnt even know
the alt|v,j was there......now I got it.

I have been meaning to point out in a page
somewhere, the fiendish practice of hiding
the MS console under a completely separate menu.

But then, I only have 800Meg available on my
server, so if I started pages on the evils of
IE, it would fill my site... ;-)

Mickey Segal

Ike said:
Under the Sun Plugin, everything runs fine. However, in MSIE, it never even
appears. I dont understand why as it was compiled entirely under 1.1.8. If
anyone has any insight as to why this wont run under the old MS VM, I would
be most grateful. I jsut want to get on to other things! Thanks, Ike

The Security Warning that pops up says "The root certificate has not been
enabled as a trusted root." What type of certificate are you using?

I presume you did your signing on the CAB file, though you did not state
that explicitly.

Ike

Thanks Mickey. Yes, ultimately, after Andrew's having pointed out a few
things re MSIE to me, and that website, Ive found its a little easier than I
had thought it was going to be.

But there is NO WAY I am writing code for 1.1.8 again!

-Ike

Mickey Segal

Ike said:
Thanks Mickey. Yes, ultimately, after Andrew's having pointed out a few
things re MSIE to me, and that website, Ive found its a little easier than I
had thought it was going to be.

But there is NO WAY I am writing code for 1.1.8 again!

Just out of curiosity, how big are your JAR and CAB files? In many cases
the CAB files are significantly smaller, particularly in case with many
small class files.

Ike

The jar is about 73k, the cab 44k....yes, the compression is far greater
with the cab.

-Ike