Applet & MSIE

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ike, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Although I am against it, for the very same reasons most of you are here, I
    have been encumbered with having to make an Applet run on MSIE withOUT the
    Sun plugin installed.

    Thus, I have compiled everythign under jdk 1.1.8

    There are no other jars the applet is dependent upon. Unfortunately, since
    it IS a chat applet, and connects to a server other than the one serving it
    up, it has to be digitally signed.

    Under the Sun Plugin, everything runs fine. However, in MSIE, it never even
    appears. I dont understand why as it was compiled entirely under 1.1.8. If
    anyone has any insight as to why this wont run under the old MS VM, I would
    be most grateful. I jsut want to get on to other things! Thanks, Ike

    Applet is at:

    http://www.ggrip.com/chat.html

    p.s. the HTML for invoking it is fine, I have copied it from another site
    that invokes an UNsigned applet which runs fine under MS VM.
    Ike, Jun 3, 2004

  2. On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:05:07 GMT, Ike wrote:

    > Under the Sun Plugin, everything runs fine. However, in MSIE, it never even
    > appears. I dont understand why as it was compiled entirely under 1.1.8.

    Start with the exception it is showing
    in the console..

    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java/awt/TextField.<init>
    at GG/chat/GGChatApplet.init
    at com/ms/applet/AppletPanel.sec...

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Hey Andrew!
    Yep, that was it....you da man. Hmmm, for some reason, I'm unable to bring
    up the java console under MSIE....even though in MSIE-options I have it
    enabled. Thank you again. -Ike

    Ike, Jun 3, 2004
  4. On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:22:38 GMT, Ike wrote:

    > ...Hmmm, for some reason, I'm unable to bring
    > up the java console under MSIE....even though in MSIE-options I have it
    > enabled.

    ...odd. You are referring to ..
    (alt|v, j) rather than
    (alt|t, 'Sun Java Console' [or whatever])?

    >Thank you again. -Ike

    You're welcome.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Ike

    Ike Guest

    No......I just meant in the options-advanced tab on MSIE...I didnt even know
    the alt|v,j was there......now I got it. Thanks again! Ike

    Ike, Jun 3, 2004
  6. On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:35:44 GMT, Ike wrote:

    > No......I just meant in the options-advanced tab on MSIE...I didnt even know
    > the alt|v,j was there......now I got it.

    I have been meaning to point out in a page
    somewhere, the fiendish practice of hiding
    the MS console under a completely separate menu.

    But then, I only have 800Meg available on my
    server, so if I started pages on the evils of
    IE, it would fill my site... ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 3, 2004
  7. Ike

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Ike" <> wrote in message
    > Under the Sun Plugin, everything runs fine. However, in MSIE, it never

    even
    > appears. I dont understand why as it was compiled entirely under 1.1.8. If
    > anyone has any insight as to why this wont run under the old MS VM, I

    would
    > be most grateful. I jsut want to get on to other things! Thanks, Ike

    The Security Warning that pops up says "The root certificate has not been
    enabled as a trusted root." What type of certificate are you using?

    I presume you did your signing on the CAB file, though you did not state
    that explicitly.
    Mickey Segal, Jun 4, 2004
  8. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Just a test certificate, thats all it is. Yes, I came across:

    http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/faq/javasigningfaq.html

    Which explained how to sign the cab, and how to amend the html for the cab,
    such that it will run in the Sun plugin or without, using the MS VM.

    -Ike

    Ike, Jun 4, 2004
  9. Ike

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Ike" <> wrote in message
    > Just a test certificate, thats all it is. Yes, I came across:
    >
    > http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/faq/javasigningfaq.html
    >
    > Which explained how to sign the cab, and how to amend the html for the

    cab,
    > such that it will run in the Sun plugin or without, using the MS VM.

    Using Windows XP and IE 6 with the MS JVM (3810) I get into the applet fine
    after accepting the certificate and it seems to work.
    Mickey Segal, Jun 4, 2004
  10. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Thanks Mickey. Yes, ultimately, after Andrew's having pointed out a few
    things re MSIE to me, and that website, Ive found its a little easier than I
    had thought it was going to be.

    But there is NO WAY I am writing code for 1.1.8 again!

    Ike, Jun 4, 2004
  11. Ike

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Ike" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mickey. Yes, ultimately, after Andrew's having pointed out a few
    > things re MSIE to me, and that website, Ive found its a little easier than

    > had thought it was going to be.
    >
    > But there is NO WAY I am writing code for 1.1.8 again!

    Just out of curiosity, how big are your JAR and CAB files? In many cases
    the CAB files are significantly smaller, particularly in case with many
    small class files.
    Mickey Segal, Jun 4, 2004
  12. Ike

    Ike Guest

    The jar is about 73k, the cab 44k....yes, the compression is far greater
    with the cab.

    Ike, Jun 4, 2004