Applet to run on Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7 ??

Krist

Hi gurus,

In our JSF/JSP application we use applet to do client side printing.
The chalenge is that the application must run on various windows
version, i.e : Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7.

Is there any known concern/issue on this applet portability for those
WIndows versions ?

Thank you very much,
Krist

Roedy Green

Is there any known concern/issue on this applet portability for those
WIndows versions ?

The current version of Java no longer runs on Win98 and WinME.

JDK 1.5 no longer supports Win NT.

I don't know about Win2K.

The current version runs on XP, Vista and Windows 7.

Arne Vajhøj

In our JSF/JSP application we use applet to do client side printing.
The chalenge is that the application must run on various windows
version, i.e : Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista& Win 7.

Is there any known concern/issue on this applet portability for those
WIndows versions ?

Java 1.6 supports 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 and 7 per
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html

Java 1.5 supports 98, ME, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 and 7 per
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/system-configurations.html

It seems as if you are OK by targetting Java 1.5!

Arne

Lew

David said:
For a while -- but isn't 1.5 in end-of-life now?

Officially, and for some time now.

In reality, it's very widespread and becoming more so as shops finally
come around to upgrading from 1.4.

Furthermore, targeting Java 5 is not the same as restricting to Java
5. You don't lose the Java 6 customers by targeting Java 5.

As to why someone now would upgrade to Java 5 from earlier versions
and not to Java 6, well, you'd have to ask them why they'd do such a
durn-fool thing.

Arne Vajhøj

For a while -- but isn't 1.5 in end-of-life now?

Yes. At least in SUN's free version.

But what so?

If you only want to users using supported versions
of Java to be able to use your applet then you can
target 1.6.

If you want more than 90% of users to be able to
use your applet then you need to target 1.5 (which
implies that it will run on 1.6 - and 1.7 when it
comes out).

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Officially, and for some time now.

In reality, it's very widespread and becoming more so as shops finally
come around to upgrading from 1.4.

Furthermore, targeting Java 5 is not the same as restricting to Java
5. You don't lose the Java 6 customers by targeting Java 5.

As to why someone now would upgrade to Java 5 from earlier versions
and not to Java 6, well, you'd have to ask them why they'd do such a
durn-fool thing.

On client side I think people are upgrading to latest and greatest.

Server side things are a bit more complex due to all types of
constraints about what Java EE version is certified with what
Java SE version, what Java SE version is certified with what
OS version, what app version is certified with what Java EE
version and so on.

Arne