Applet uses more and more CPU.

AW på ZRX

Hi

I have a JApplet running in IE 6.0 with the java 1.5 plugin.

Over time the applet uses more and more CPU. It starts with small peaks, and
then the peaks gets more and more frequent, finally raising the CPU level to
a 100% causing the applet not to respond. It happens over a period of 24 -
48 hours.

The applet is a GUI, talking to a server using messagequeing (IBM MQ series)
and communicates with the browser using JSObject. Apart form this there are
no connections to the "world outside".

Using a java profiling tool (OptimizeIt) I have found that it's the main
thread that uses the CPU. However I can not see what the main thread is
doing (no information avaliable in OptimizeIt).

I don't understand this. The main thread should run when the applet starts,
and then do nothing (an I wrong here?), as the rest of the execution is made
on the AWT-Eventthread, and some other threads which I create myself. The
threads which I have created myself all behave like expected.

Has anybody got any ideas about what the main thread could be doing ?

Allan

Andrew Thompson

AW på ZRX wrote:
(applet)
Has anybody got any ideas about what the main thread could be doing ?

Have you tried raising the trace level of the
output in the Java console in your browser?

Trace level '5' might provide more information.

Andrew T.

AW på ZRX

Have you tried raising the trace level of the
ouput in the Java console in your browser?
Trace level '5' might provide more information.

There are no messages even with level 5. (Of cause there are some messages
when the Applet starts, but while runing normally there are no messages.)

Allan

Tris Orendorff

Over time the applet uses more and more CPU. It starts with small peaks,

and
then the peaks gets more and more frequent, finally raising the CPU level to
a 100% causing the applet not to respond. It happens over a period of 24

-
48 hours.

Could there be a memory leak causing the GC to go wild?

--
Sincerely,

Tris Orendorff
[Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use?
A: A purple Hayes.]