application-level dataset

Sergei Shelukhin

Hi :)

I need to store some data in application level dataset. Once a month, a
huge query is performed against a set of big tables and the result is
stored. The dataset is stored in applicaton level variable and is used
to display some report.

However there's a problem, the app might restart (because of the
changes made by developers), IIS might restart and server can sometimes
restart too. I can't requery the data because it will be different by
that time, so I need to maintain the dataset someplace else. It doesn't
change thru the month so I'm safe if it is 3 days old or something.

How do I store it?

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

how big the ds is? Have you considered storing it as an XML file
(Dataset.WriteXml)? Is it too big for that?

Eliyahu Goldin

Why not to keep it in a separate database table? In the same database where
the big tables are or in a separate one.

Eliyahu

Guest

However there's a problem, the app might restart (because of the
changes made by developers), IIS might restart and server can sometimes
restart too. I can't requery the data because it will be different by
that time, so I need to maintain the dataset someplace else. It doesn't
change thru the month so I'm safe if it is 3 days old or something.

How do I store it?

I would cache the data as an XML file - or even better, write the records
into a summary database table.