Applying CSS while editing in Dreamweaver tips?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mechphisto, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    I have an annoying issue in Dreamweaver CS3 that I was hoping I could
    get some help on.

    I have a site I'm working on. The file structure is:

    W:/site/
    -- contains page.php which is the bare frame for all the pages. The
    styles.css link and all head info, etc. is in this page.

    W:/site/includes/
    -- contains styles.css which has all the styles

    W:/site/data/
    -- contains all the actual data pages that get included into page.php
    via PHP (that it's PHP is not important)

    Now, when I'm working on, say, W:/site/data/123.php, the DW GUI has no
    idea what styles are available as all 123.php is is text with DIV id's
    and SPAN classes attributed. On the Web site, the contents of this
    page would simply get included into page.php.

    So the DW preview shows everything in default appearance.

    If I link the styles.css into the file, sure I edit it and it'll let
    me use the styles in the GUI instead of my having to keep looking at
    the styles page and hand-typing in ...class="blah"....
    But the link will be put in as "../includes/styles.css" which works
    while I'm in DW, but doesn't while it's on the Web as...you get it,
    because 123.php doesn't technically exist when it's rendered to the
    browser...it's embeded in page.php so "../" becomes meaningless.

    Does this make sense?
    Bottom line: Is there some DW tip that will allow me to either make it
    recognize PHP includes so it logically knows where everything will be
    when it's rendered by the browser, or, universally apply a CSS page to
    everything I'm working on without having to worry about link paths
    that work fine locally but foobar on the remote?

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    -Liam
     
    Mechphisto, Dec 9, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mechphisto

    Bergamot Guest

    Mechphisto wrote:
    > I have an annoying issue in Dreamweaver CS3 that I was hoping I could
    > get some help on.


    Why don't you go ask in one of the Dreamweaver forums? They have their
    own newsgroups, you know.

    --
    Berg
     
    Bergamot, Dec 9, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 9, 2:34 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > Mechphisto wrote:
    > > I have an annoying issue in Dreamweaver CS3 that I was hoping I could
    > > get some help on.

    >
    > Why don't you go ask in one of the Dreamweaver forums? They have their
    > own newsgroups, you know.


    Why yes, yes they do.
    But if I've learned anything in my 18 years using the Intertubes
    (aside from how not to feed trolls and to ignore anyone "speaking" in
    ALL CAPS) is that one venue to answer a question will usually have me
    waiting days before someone answers...if at all.
    So I ask in a few related and appropriate venues and then post the
    answer I find in the others.

    Case in point, I actually got a good reply, finally, from the Adobe
    forum (which I have found to be notoriously unhelpful in the past),
    and here's the answer:

    While in the included page in the editor, in the CSS minimenu at the
    top-right, click the top-top-right option drop-down and select "Design-
    time...". Then apply the CSS.
    Whammo! All my styles are available to select and use, and I don't
    have to worry about including additional half-broken paths in my
    pages!

    Anyway, in case anyone else needs to know, there you go.
     
    Mechphisto, Dec 9, 2008
    #3
  4. Mechphisto wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 2:34 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    >> Mechphisto wrote:
    >>> I have an annoying issue in Dreamweaver CS3 that I was hoping I could
    >>> get some help on.

    >> Why don't you go ask in one of the Dreamweaver forums? They have their
    >> own newsgroups, you know.

    >
    > Why yes, yes they do.
    > But if I've learned anything in my 18 years using the Intertubes
    > (aside from how not to feed trolls and to ignore anyone "speaking" in
    > ALL CAPS) is that one venue to answer a question will usually have me
    > waiting days before someone answers...if at all.
    > So I ask in a few related and appropriate venues and then post the
    > answer I find in the others.
    >


    I guess in those 18 years you didn't learn anything about multi-posting :-(

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 9, 2008
    #4
  5. Mechphisto

    Mechphisto Guest

    On Dec 9, 4:30 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > Mechphisto wrote:
    > > On Dec 9, 2:34 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > >> Mechphisto wrote:
    > >>> I have an annoying issue in Dreamweaver CS3 that I was hoping I could
    > >>> get some help on.
    > >> Why don't you go ask in one of the Dreamweaver forums? They have their
    > >> own newsgroups, you know.

    >
    > > Why yes, yes they do.
    > > But if I've learned anything in my 18 years using the Intertubes
    > > (aside from how not to feed trolls and to ignore anyone "speaking" in
    > > ALL CAPS) is that one venue to answer a question will usually have me
    > > waiting days before someone answers...if at all.
    > > So I ask in a few related and appropriate venues and then post the
    > > answer I find in the others.

    >
    > I guess in those 18 years you didn't learn anything about multi-posting :-(


    Yes, I did. :) That I get answers. And very very rarely complaints.
    Lesson: It's effective and only the most annoyable care.
     
    Mechphisto, Dec 10, 2008
    #5
  6. Mechphisto

    houghi Guest

    Mechphisto wrote:
    > Yes, I did. :) That I get answers. And very very rarely complaints.
    > Lesson: It's effective and only the most annoyable care.


    So in the end all you care about is you and not anybody else.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.
     
    houghi, Dec 10, 2008
    #6
  7. Mechphisto wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 4:30 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >> Mechphisto wrote:
    >>> On Dec 9, 2:34 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    >>>> Mechphisto wrote:
    >>>>> I have an annoying issue in Dreamweaver CS3 that I was hoping I could
    >>>>> get some help on.
    >>>> Why don't you go ask in one of the Dreamweaver forums? They have their
    >>>> own newsgroups, you know.
    >>> Why yes, yes they do.
    >>> But if I've learned anything in my 18 years using the Intertubes
    >>> (aside from how not to feed trolls and to ignore anyone "speaking" in
    >>> ALL CAPS) is that one venue to answer a question will usually have me
    >>> waiting days before someone answers...if at all.
    >>> So I ask in a few related and appropriate venues and then post the
    >>> answer I find in the others.

    >> I guess in those 18 years you didn't learn anything about multi-posting :-(

    >
    > Yes, I did. :) That I get answers.


    Yes you may at first, and likely in duplicate!


    > And very very rarely complaints.
    > Lesson: It's effective and only the most annoyable care.


    Then after regulars realize your practice and that they spent
    considerable time answering your question only to discover someone lese
    had in another NG you will become ignored...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 10, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. leo

    Dreamweaver & CSS

    leo, Sep 9, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    46
    Views:
    1,287
    William Tasso
    Sep 10, 2004
  2. Jason
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    8,637
    Toby Inkster
    Jan 9, 2005
  3. David Chandler

    Editing HTML in Dreamweaver

    David Chandler, Jul 22, 2005, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    788
    David Chandler
    Jul 24, 2005
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    601
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,286
    Arne Vajhøj
    Jul 31, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page