approx 100 assorted computer/ math/other books

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

[snipped c.l.s crosspost]

Top posting is never good. Just delete all the text in
the previous post if you do not have the need to include
some more specific context.

And if you do not feel the need to include any specific
context in your post, consider starting a new thread.

DO NOT DO THIS:

[Subject: Re: Eve's methods]

Alice wrote on Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 10:30:54.2,
while birds sang said:
Your methods are flawed.

-Alice

I like cheese.

-Bob

DON'T EVEN DO THIS, ALTHOUGH IT'S BETTER:

I like cheese.

-Bob

JUST DO THIS:

[Subject: I like cheese!]

I like cheese.

-Bob

Oh, and another thing. Don't crosspost to five different
groups. That's just ridiculous. (And yes, I know in this
case it's due to a spammer. But just in general, don't.)

-Arthur

Mark McIntyre

In Agent. I can retrace threads at a click. They are mapped out like a
tree.

Only if your server stores them all, and you don't purge your
database.
Do you imagine that everyone has that luxury? So we should all conform
to your requirement?

And why are you posting this to so many groups? I've no clue where
you're posting from. I'm in CLC, where top posting is heavily frowned
upon. Maybe the python guys don't care - if so, remove CLC from your
crosspost.

CBFalconer

Roedy said:
In Agent. I can retrace threads at a click. They are mapped
out like a tree.

Then you either are downloading and retaining all messages
yourself, or your ISP maintains an indefinite history of each
group (which I doubt). Sooner or later one of you is going to run
out of storage. It's something like using oil to run guzzling
SUVs.

jeffc

Arthur J. O'Dwyer said:
DO NOT DO THIS:

Alice wrote on Thursday, January 2, 2003, at 10:30:54.2,
while birds sang said:
Your methods are flawed.

-Alice

I like cheese.

Have you been to France? They have good cheese. Actually they are more
famous for their wine. What kind of wine do you like?

jeffc

Roedy Green said:
Infuriatingly, it is not always true. Some intelligent people
APOLOGIZE for snipping even a comma from the entire previous
discussion. Somebody must have taught them you are supposed to quote
EVERYTHING.

Yes, they learned in school or somewhere that you should plagiarize, and
should "quote all sources". They think if they snip a little something,
they're "cheating".
<snicker>