Are my pages getting cached or something? Help very much appreciated!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simon, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I'm using a repeater on a page of mine to display a list of hospitals
    pending authorisation to take part in a trial.
    When the user clicks a button it takes him/her to another page that allows
    them to authorise the hospital. Now, when the user goes back to the previous
    page (by following a link), the repeater still shows the (now authorised)
    site when it shouldnt.

    The problem fixes itself when I press refresh, which isn't very good because
    it will confuse the end users and is a pain in the arse.

    Can anyone tell me what to do to fix this? I doesnt seem to do this on my
    other pages that do something similar. I havent set any caching options
    because I don't know that much about it.

    Thanks to anyone who can assist

    Simon, Jul 11, 2004

  2. One technique to avoid this is to put the functionality of both pages (the
    list and the authorizations) into one page and track which should be shown.
    If the user tries to go "back" she goes to the page she is on except that
    it gets new data.

    Dealing with the Back button is one of the toughest issues in Web
    development because as a developer, you can't control it - the user can.

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jul 12, 2004

  3. Simon

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP] wrote:
    > One technique to avoid this is to put the functionality of both pages
    > (the list and the authorizations) into one page and track which
    > should be shown. If the user tries to go "back" she goes to the page
    > she is on except that it gets new data.
    >
    > Dealing with the Back button is one of the toughest issues in Web
    > development because as a developer, you can't control it - the user
    > can.

    Actually, the poor guy on the browser development team who tries to figure
    out what the authors of the HTTP spec *really* intended controls the back
    button :p

    Cheers,
    --
    Joerg Jooss