Are there any PhpMyAdmin clone for ASP.net and SQL Server?

Eric Layman

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place.

I understand there is a tool called MSDE web admin which is supposely a web based version of our fav MS SQL GUI tools. But that requires installation.

The reason im asking this is because currently we are doing a project in which client's IT side do not allow remote connection into their MS SQL server due to security concerns.

Problem is whenever we develop scripts/apps for them, we have to send the raw scripts and stored proc via email.

Whenever there are any bug fixes or column changes, we have to resend the changes to them and they have to alter the objects again.

So, I'm thinking whether are there any phpmyadmin clones which I can simply upload to the web server and do the data modifications/ column modifications / sp modifications ourselves.

Please advise. Thanks

Guest

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place.

I understand there is a tool called MSDE web admin which is supposely a web based version of our fav MS SQL GUI tools. But that requires installation.

The reason im asking this is because currently we are doing a project in which client's IT side do not allow remote connection into their MS SQL server due to security concerns.

Problem is whenever we develop scripts/apps for them, we have to send the raw scripts and stored proc via email.

Whenever there are any bug fixes or column changes, we have to resend the changes to them and they have to alter the objects again.

So, I'm thinking whether are there any phpmyadmin clones which I can simply upload to the web server and do the data modifications/ column modifications / sp modifications ourselves.

Please advise. Thanks

ASP.NET Enterprise Manager
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asp-ent-man/

Daniel Crichton

Alexey wrote on 19 Apr 2007 23:33:59 -0700:

Not only does this appear to be no longer being developed (last updates are
2002), but I've had the unfortunate experience of actually having to use it
on a recent project. It's bug ridden, and a nightmare to have to use.

Most frustrating is the inability to be able to export a script (such as for
creating or altering tables, or indexes) from SQL EM or SMSS and run it in
ASP.NET EM - every time I've done this it does nothing.

Making changes to tables is painful - it took me a while to work out that
all the errors I got due to existing _temp tables was because it has a
problem when there is a PK on the table, I had to untick the PK and save,
then make the changes and save, then tick the PK again and save.

I'm in the process of trying to get the host using ASP.NET EM to install
Visual WebGUI Enterprise Manager
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/vwg-ent-man) which looks to pretty much
replicate SQL EM, and is the only other SQL web admin I've come across since
trying to find a replacement for ASP.NET EM.

Dan

Guest

[...]

Dan- Hide quoted text -

I was using the ASP.NET EM with a couple of hosting providers (was
installed by default) and had no big problems with it... A lack of
export could be a problem (I agree), however, from my opinion all
changes in the db-structure should be done on your local/development
server.

Visual WebGUI Enterprise Manager looks good, I need to try it.

But there is just one(?) snag

Quote: "The VEM requires ".wgx" script map to be registered in IIS."
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33510&group_id=168612

which in most cases cannot be done on remote server

Eric: why don't you make a simple ASPX-page with just a text field and
submit button. Using that page you can execute any script (assuming
you have a dbo access) against the database.

Daniel Crichton

Alexey wrote on 20 Apr 2007 02:05:42 -0700:
On Apr 20, 10:33 am, "Daniel Crichton" <[email protected]>
wrote:
I was using the ASP.NET EM with a couple of hosting providers (was
installed by default) and had no big problems with it... A lack of
export could be a problem (I agree), however, from my opinion all
changes in the db-structure should be done on your local/development
server.

But how do I then get that db structure change onto the remote server? I was
developing a database for a client - their hosting provider only has this
ASP.NET EM to allow access to the SQL database, so as changes are made to my
local IIS and SQL setup (all testing is done on my own systems prior to
uploading to the client's site) there was no way I could get them onto the
remote SQL Server other than via this ASP.NET EM ...
Visual WebGUI Enterprise Manager looks good, I need to try it.

But there is just one(?) snag

Quote: "The VEM requires ".wgx" script map to be registered in IIS."
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=33510&group_id=168612

which in most cases cannot be done on remote server

I'm hoping that as the client I'm working for has a few dedicated servers
with the host that they might be able to swing this.

Dan

Daniel Crichton

Alexey wrote on 20 Apr 2007 02:41:01 -0700:
Using SQL-query window

CREATE TABLE...
ALTER TABLE...
etc.

Which as I said, I tried and failed miserably, it just ignored the commands
I'd exported from EM/SMSS. I had no trouble with modifying data, but the
structure changes wouldn't work using T-SQL.

Dan

Guest

Alexey wrote on 20 Apr 2007 02:41:01 -0700:

Which as I said, I tried and failed miserably, it just ignored the commands
I'd exported from EM/SMSS. I had no trouble with modifying data, but the
structure changes wouldn't work using T-SQL.

Dan

Ah, I think, I remember it. There was an annoying problem in EM, it
returned no error when a query was wrong, or an execution has failed.

open source is open source :)

Jason Kester

The reason im asking this is because currently we are doing a project in which client's IT side do not allow remote connection into their MS SQL server due to security concerns.

So, I'm thinking whether are there any phpmyadmin clones which I can simply upload to the web server and do the data modifications/ column modifications / sp modifications ourselves.

Classic.

- Client is worried about security, so they lock down remote access to
the SQL Server.
- Consultant is annoyed with all this security
- Consultant installs tool allowing public web admin access to SQL
Server

Look, for better of for worse, your client wants his server locked
down. You should probably consider the possibility that bypassing
their intentions might be a bad idea. I'd suggest you package up your
change scripts and email them as you've been doing, and stop poking
holes in their security.

Just be sure to bill your time by the hour!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/